Saturday, October 08, 2016

In My Kitchen: October, 2016

My Kitchen Door
While we were in Ireland and London, we had a new kitchen door installed. The old one was ruined by a painter who painted the gasket which therefore rotted the door inside. The new one also has a new doorstep and better weatherstripping.


The only other new items in my kitchen are three Irish magnets and one English magnet. The Irish ones depict writers James Joyce and William Butler Yeats as well as a 3-D "Irish Pub." The British Museum magnet is a cast of one of the famous medieval chess pieces (which I showed in an earlier post).

My bare refrigerator shelves after 2 weeks away: I need to go to the market!

The Kitchen In Ireland.

We stayed with Arny and Tracy for almost a week, so their Irish kitchen was sort of "my" kitchen for that time; at least, it's where we ate breakfast every day and fixed other meals. Here's Tracy -- the main cook -- as she was finishing several dishes for the 4 of us and 4 guests:


While we were visiting, their new refrigerator was delivered.
It's very small by US standards, but the landlords like it that way.
The dining room table, ready for the guests. The first course, Caprese salad, was made with
delicious ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and Irish-made mozarella, all, I believe, from Aldi.
Tracy made chicken piccata and roasted vegetables for the main course, and one of the guests
brought a pear crumble made with pears from her own tree.
"In My Kitchen" is hosted by Lizzy of Bizzy Lizzy's Good ThingsYou can find links to many other blogger kitchens there.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a literal peek into your kitchen through your new door! Sounds like you've had a wonderful holiday. Interesting about the refrigerator...I guess they would shop for fresh food quite often. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things said...

Thanks Mae for the peek into your kitchen and the very kind shout out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mae, love your new kitchen door that let plenty of light in. Hope you had a great time in Ireland and I guess like your fridge magnet, you pass many a pub in Ireland. When I grew up in my hometown in Ireland there were about 18 pubs on one street. Hope you tried some Irish soda bread when you were there :)

The VegHog said...

Those fridge magnets are really cool, especially the chess piece.

Lisa said...

Fridge magnets are such a lovely reminder of holidays! Despite the emptiness of your fridge, I'm very impressed by your condiments shelf :)

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I loved the peek into your fridge as it reminds me of my own, very organized :)

Anonymous said...

Nice peek into your kitchen, it felt like I visited!

Anonymous said...

I love visiting home kitchen when I travel. I think it is one of the best ways to get to know a culture. I adored Ireland when I visited, thanks for the peek

Jeanie said...

Well, I like both kitchens very much. And I especially like your new kitchen door. Very nice! And that table looks so festive. Thanks for the visit!

Shaheen said...

Your kitchen looks fantastic, I like how you can open out to the garden - I wish I could do that with my kitchen door. Your fridge is very tidy, makes mine look like a proper mess.

Kim Bultman said...

What a welcoming entrance to your kitchen, Mae! The light must be fantastic. Looks like you extended that "come on in" spirit (and it was extended to you) everywhere you visited, cooked, and ATE. Sounded like you enjoyed a great dinner party and menu -- such a pretty table, too, with the blue chairs in that photo. Good times!

Sherry's Pickings said...

Nice new door! Love the Lewis chessmen. How nice to stay with friends and enjoy local food.

SallyBR said...

Love the door! And love love LOVE that table with the blue chairs, all my.... gorgeous!

amazing how appliances are HUGE in the US, isn't it? My fridge in France was tiny, laundry machine also, but somehow we managed. Had to take the bed sheets to be washed elsewhere, but that was the only inconvenience...