Thursday, October 06, 2016

British Museum Highlights

The British Museum where we spent almost all day today. 
We spent time in the Celtic, Roman, and Medieval English displays; in Ancient and Roman-era Egypt; in a variety of displays about African art; in several rooms of Japanese art from 13,000 years ago until the present; and in ancient Greece and Assyria. We looked at a display of shadow puppets from southeast Asia. Maybe something else, too. It was wonderful! I'll be coming back to my many photos for additional posts about quite a few topics that these art works made me think about.

The famous medieval chessmen from various hordes.


Aizen-Myō-ō: "Passionate King of Light.
Japan, 1300-1400s.

Figure on a mummy case, maybe the Jackal god Anubis.
If I'm not mistaken, this god is in Neil Gaiman's American Gods!
Egyptian-influenced Cretan pendant showing a nature god wearing a Minoan kilt, standing on lotuses. Cycladic era. 
Various African textiles.
Statues from the Parthenon in Athens -- the Elgin Marbles,
probably the most famous part of the collections of the enormous museum.


2 comments:

Jeanie said...

My favorite museum in Paris is Cluny so I can imagine that if I were at the British Museum I would be doing exactly as you did! Looks terrific!

Sherry's Pickings said...

Love the British museum tho it has been many years since our last visit. Love the Lewis chessmen too.