Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Great British Bake-Off (Contains Spoilers)

You might call me a fanatic lover of the Great British Bake-Off. I've mentioned before how I enjoy the camaraderie of the contestants, the interesting and very British nature of the baking challenges, and the judges' high standards for both flavor and appearance. Most of the baked items are really appetizing and I always wish I could taste them.

In the US, the Bake-Off is called the Great British Baking Show because only Pillsbury can have a bake off. It appears on PBS six months to a year after it shows in England. Well, we couldn't wait so we managed to watch on the BBC using something called a VPN which Len coaxed and coaxed until we saw each show. 

Tonight was the final show of the 2016 series. Furthermore, this is the last of Great British Bake-Off as we know it, because BBC has lost the rights. On the next season of the show, only judge Paul Hollywood will participate -- not judge Mary Berry, and not comediennes Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins. Don't worry: if you aren't a fan these names might easily mean nothing to you, but if you're a fan, you know who I mean. 

Here are some screen shots from this final episode:

The judges Paul and Mary and the comic hosts Mel and Sue. 

Contestant Candice.
The tent where the competition takes place.
Judges Paul and Mary with an example of today's "technical challenge," a Victoria Sandwich --
a very British layer cake composed of two layers of cake put together with jam and cream.
Mary Berry -- a famous cookbook author that I had not encountered
until I watched the show.
A "Royal Picnic" -- the last challenge for the final three contestants required them to bake in five hours
the following items: sausage rolls in flaky pastry, little quiches, savory scones, fruit tartlettes, and a chocolate cake!

12 comments:

Jeanie said...

How are you seeing all the ones that haven't been on PBS yet? I'm a tad envious! I think we'll get one more season (the ones you just showed), probably next year. Seems like they are about six months or more off the Brit broadcasting schedule.

I love the royal tea. I'm going to miss this like crazy. We've been enjoying the master class episodes with Paul and Mary making some of the things from this past season (Nadia's season) like that tennis court cake, the meringue one with the violets and baguettes. Rick made Paul's baguette recipe -- it's much easier than the one he got through his Zing class in terms of time (no poulish) and pretty darned good!

Summer said...

Looks like a really nice show ♥

jama said...

I love this series as well. Heard the original cast is going to do Christmas specials, and though only Paul Hollywood is moving to Channel 4 with the Bake Off, BBC1 is developing a new cooking competition show, possibly with Mary, Mel, and Sue. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadiya joins them too.

Beth F said...

I know everyone loves the show ... I've never seen it. And oops, I guess I waited too long. I almost set up a VPN to watch the Olympics, but in the end decided against it.

Claudia said...

I've enjoyed what we've caught of the series, and would like to see more, but not exactly "avid" (about any TV actually). They were well done though.

Vicki said...

I watch a lot of cooking shows on tv. Don't think I've ever seen this one though.

Nan said...

Do you know about Tunnelbear? https://www.tunnelbear.com/
https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing

Deb in Hawaii said...

I've caught a few episodes on PBS before and it is an interesting show--I can see how you have become a fanatic about it. ;-)

Margot said...

I am a big fan of this show along with my daughter and granddaughters. We excitedly watch each show and then talk about if. I'm glad you gave us an update on the next season. That royal picnic looks amazing. My daughters and I have tried a couple of the recipes from the show (they're on the PBS website) and found them a bit challenging, although fun.

Carole said...

I find Mary Berry a bit of an acquired taste.... Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Esme said...

I adore this show and almost did my post about it. I have to confess I did not read your entire post as it has a spoiler alert.

PS have you been to Japan-if so can you email me at chocolate and croissants at yahoo. I want to just pick your brain a little.

thank you.

Molly said...

I just found this excellent show myself a few weeks ago. I regret missing the previous seasons...