Friday, December 18, 2020

Happy Chanukah!


My fully-lit Chanukah menorahs. Most images show all the candles at once, 
but this really only happens on the eighth day of the holiday, which was December 17, 2020.

The Last 4 Days of Chanukah



Candles ready for the fifth night of Chanukah.
For each night, I tried to make a special meal.

Dinner the fifth night: stuffed eggplant and salad.

The sixth night: curried squash with red lentils.

The seventh night: note small decoration hanging on the patio door.
What we ate: green chile cornbread and cowboy caviar
(a made-up recipe since we can't get Trader Joe's)

My cowboy caviar: a mixture of black beans and corn
with green onion, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, oil, sugar and catsup(!).

The eighth, and last night of Chanukah.  We had lamb roast 
(a New Zealand leg of lamb that was waiting in the freezer)
with roasted brussels sprouts and a good wine.

Blog post and all photos © 2020 mae sander.





 

12 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmmm, this all looks so yummy!
I have Brussels Sprouts tonight (again, as all week, as Hubby cannot have it).
A yummy, happy Chanukah you had!

Divers and Sundry said...

It looks like you had a happy Chanukah, feasting :) The food looks delicious! That stuffed eggplant especially is making me hungry :)

kwarkito said...

Oui bonne fête, en dépit des circonstances. En tout cas tout cela semble très appétissant !!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really enjoyed these nights you shared with us. I like both your menorahs, too. But I was especially impressed with how well you eat, Mae. I see you have brussels sprouts, which I love at Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing Chanukah with us.

Valerie-Jael said...

Chanukah is a beautiful time indeed, I always love watching the candles, the food and singing! Valerie

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

What a perfect evening to enjoy your roast lamb. It's New Zealand lamb easily available where you live? We don't get it here but I've seen it in UK supermarkets.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Your Chanukah table settings and gorgeous and your meals look delicious!

Sherry's Pickings said...

i love that beautiful ceramic plate on the fifth night! happy hanukkah! belated I think...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
Thank you for sharing your beautiful Hanukkah celebration. Your vegetarian meals are very appealing. Best wishes..

Jeanie said...

Mae, it's beautiful. I love seeing the candles all aglow and the wonderful dinners you shared. The table is beautiful and I love that each night was a special meal. I haven't had Brussels sprouts yet this year. We'll have to add them to the list. Maybe for Christmas but soon if not then.

Your menorahs are just beautiful. I love the blue and white candles. It looks like a wonderful Hanukkah.

Tina said...

What a beautifully set table. Love the meal and decoration. Haven't had lamb in ages.

My name is Erika. said...

It's wonderful to see your menorah fully lit. How beautiful. And your meal looks quite good too! Happy weekend.