Sunday, March 31, 2024

In My Kitchen March 2024

Our Life In March 

Spring is coming, and this is the best reason to celebrate the end of March. We did have pie for Pi Day (but not home made) and we enjoyed St. Patricks Day (but no special food). It’s the end of the week and also the end of the month, so I’m sharing my thoughts and photos with Sherry’s In My Kitchen, Deb’s Sunday Salon, and Elizabeth’s Tuesday Tea Party. I wish everyone a very beautiful April with beautiful weather, no matter which climate zone you live in.

My Peeps in my kitchen: Happy Easter!

What we cooked

Here are some of the things we cooked in March. We each made some of these dishes.



This dish was a disappointment. We added several more ingredients
to the leftovers to give it more flavor.




Recipe from “The Kitchn

Made from scratch (not from Ikea). Both wine & water to drink.

From Evelyn’s kitchen: Hamantaschen for Purim. I wish I had been there to eat some!

Fun Stuff in the Kitchen

New dish towel

One more good ready-made dish from Trader Joe’s.

And a good sweet thing, also from Trader Joe’s

Some of the enjoyable jam, preserves, jelly, etc. in my refrigerator.

Bread

Len’s latest rye bread was awesome!


New dough whisk that Len used when combining ingredients for the rye bread.

Remembering Four Years Ago

In the beginning of March 2020, the coronavirus pandemic seemed to be a distant rumor. By the end of March, there were cases in every state, and the government had shut down virtually all non-essential activity in businesses, schools, recreations, public performances, and many other areas. Emergency rooms were overwhelmed, and hospitals were overflowing with very sick patients. Essential commodities and those that people thought would become scarce were all out-of-stock as people hoarded shelf-stable foods, frozen foods, and household goods. The resulting toilet paper shortage lasted several months. 

The effects of the pandemic still echo through our society. From the New York Times this week:

“Elected officials, strategists, historians and sociologists say the lasting effects of the pandemic are visible today in the debates over inflation, education, public health, college debt, crime and trust in American democracy itself” (source)

Injustices became apparent as the pandemic left some people working at their own risk to do essential jobs, and left others without a livelihood. The situation is no better today:

  • According to the Washington Post this week: “Nearly 1 in 5 people in the essential workforce — people who cleaned hospitals during the pandemic, who provided home health care and child care, who kept food coming to our tables, who built temporary clinics — do not have permanent legal authorization to live in this country.” (source
  • The Baltimore Key Bridge disaster last week brought home how vulnerable immigrants work on our essential infrastructure. The bridge workers who were killed and injured were all immigrants from Central America. (source)
  • Farmworkers are especially vulnerable: “According to data from Farmworkers Justice, there are an estimated 2.4 million farm workers employed on American farms and ranches, the large majority of whom are immigrants. Foreign-born workers make up 68% of the workforce (the USDA cites a slightly lower number at an estimated 60%) and approximately 36% lack authorized work status under current U.S. laws. (source)

The pandemic left us with a lot of thinking to do: one essential question is why we continue to deny legitimacy of residence to workers who are clearly essential to our nation.


From IMK, March 2020: What’s really important?


Reading my blog posts from the start of the pandemic is interesting: we decided to isolate ourselves, not knowing how long we would be without social contacts. Our isolation ended a year later when the remarkable vaccine became available to us. This is what I wrote four years ago:

“My food thoughts are not just with my own needs, but with the vast numbers of people who are fearing or already experiencing hunger. I'm thinking of those whose jobs have suddenly ceased, and who don’t know how they will afford food. I worry about children who were dependent on school lunch programs but whose schools have closed, and about college students without meals or shelter after dorm closures. I'm mindful that homeless people and refugees everywhere are subject to increased uncertainty. People already living in poverty in the US and throughout the world will be suffering even more now than in the past.

“Even more pressing than the challenge of getting food to those in need, our society has enormous problems with protecting health care workers and providing care for the sick. Compared to the vast numbers of people with limited resources, to those who are already suffering from coronavirus, and to those mourning the victims, I'm extremely fortunate and grateful, and I do not want to sound like I'm complaining.”

Graffiti on a park bench in March, 2020.


WE SURVIVED!


Blog post and photos © 2020, 2024 mae sander.

34 comments:

JK Joy (aka) Jody said...

Your food looks amazing. Happy Easter, Mae!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Your meals look delicious. I would like to try the mushroom frittata.
The bread looks yummy. I like the cute dish towel.
Have a great day and happy first week of April!

Joy said...

Your frittata is so pretty! We always break ours getting it out of the skillet. But it still tastes yummy.

I went to my first crowd event unmasked on Friday. I'll probably continue to wear a mask when the illness is active in our region but I'm trying to ease myself back to more social activities.

My name is Erika. said...

You ate really well in March Mae. And you made a really cute Peep kitchen. Is it in your dollhouse? I love the little cowboy hats. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

You always show such wonderful dishes. I would like the frittata too. I have never made one. That Rye bread looks amazing too. Have a Happy Easter.

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

Your food looks so good. I need to get better at cooking. Most of my food comes from the freezer and is microwaved.

dancewme said...

I really love making fish and it's so easy that I may take your fish recipe. I liked the cheese spread as well. Lovely.

Jenn Jilks said...

March looked great for you!
I hope April is terrific!

Mae Travels said...

To the commenter called “dancewme” — your Blogger account does not have a link, so it’s not possible to see what you have posted.

Yvonne said...

The food looks so delicious. Now I'm hungry :)

Have a great week!

Slabs said...

Amazing, so many wonderful cooking done Mae.
My entry this month is #2. I visited you via Sherry Pickings. Feel free to join SSPS Linkup M-S, find the link under blogging

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I want to eat at your house! What wonderful food you eat!

I am glad we have made it through the pandemic. We isolated until we got the vaccine, too. It was a lonely time, but we always had food to eat, and we made sure to safely visit with our elderly relatives outside at least once a week to keep all of our spirits up.

I'm sharing the info you offered about the importance of immigrants with everyone I can. Our country would shut down without immigrants to do the real work.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

everything that you cooked looks really good and healthy. I'm intrigued by the Ottolenghi roasted cauliflower dish. I'll be looking that one up. thanks. The hamantaschen look really good too. We've tried the Gnocchi but it wasn't a favorite.It'a amazing how we've bounced back after four years!

JoAnn said...

Your food all looks great, and I'm going to google the miso butter, cabbage, and vegetables recipe now. I'm also overdue for a trip to Trader Joe's!

francesca said...

Tasty looking foid Mae. Best wishes, Francesca from almostitalian.blog

Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid said...

Everything you made looks so good and I love your conserve collection - now I want some lemon curd! I can't believe it's been 4 years since the world turned upside down - what a time to be alive!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

If I could afford to eat even half as well as you. You and Len are SO lucky.

Does Len have a special basket that made the shapes of the bread? It is beautiful.

Thanks fr sharing uour meals, your Covid concerns, and your wine and water with is for T this week, dear Mae.

BTW, those Peeps are disgusting to eat, but cute as decorations!


DVArtist said...

Hi Mae, I forgot to mention before the Passionflower curd. I make Lemon curd, but I bet the passionflower tastes amazing. Have a nice day today.

Carola Bartz said...

Your food looks delicious, Mae, especially the fish dish at the top.
I think the pandemic has changed a lot in our society and it is a bit scary to see how unhinged some people have become. We personally didn't feel big changes in our life - we still saw our friends albeit in a safe and more distant way, we took walks, we worked from home. We certainly were the lucky ones.
When I read where the killed workers on the bridge in Baltimore came from I thought "the people haven't taken away any job from Americans"; it seems like these are the jobs that Americans don't want to do. Here in CA in agriculture it's mainly immigrants who do the work. It would be a disaster if suddenly these people weren't here anymore.
Thank you for this thoughtful post.

My name is Erika. said...

And happy T day Mae.

dee Nambiar said...

All the food here looks so yum!
Good pictures, Mae.

Let's hope changes happen faster and things in this country get better, soon. <3

Here's wishing you a lovely spring and a very happy April.

Iris Flavia said...

Such a cute mini-kitchen!
And the spoon with he yummy cauliflower!
All the food, yum!
You leave me very hungry here.
COVID. Here in Germany the investigate big on what the government did wrong.
And yes, we survived.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You have been eating well! Thank goodness for immigrants and refugees. Let’s show a little more humanity and take care of their needs as we do our own. Seems like that’s the principle of every organized religion but seldom practiced by its adherents.,

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

It is amazing just how much we survived from the pandemic, and its after effects. I have been looking for a dough hook for ages, and they are not available here. Len’s latest rye bread looks fantastic!

Sherry's Pickings said...

So much wonderful food Mae. Love that frittata! It's still so warm here tho we are well past the autumn equinox. Wherefore art thou winter? Hard to believe it was the 4th anniversary of the first lockdown here in March. Have a fab April, and thanks for joining in.

Linda said...

“Man’s inhumanity to man” was a phrase used by my high school world history teacher to describe a recurring theme in history. I haven’t forgotten that because I keep seeing it.

CJ Kennedy said...

I love your Peeps display. Your food photos are awesome. You should open up a restaurant! Happy T Day

Jeanie said...

The food looks delicious -- but I love the Peeps! The Covid memories... we've been talking about them too. So far, so good.

Debra Eliotseats said...

I was absolutely going to comment about your lovely food and dishes and that TJ's gnocchi was on my list! Then I got to the end of your post. How poignant. I'm glad you reminded me about March 2020. I remember it so well (mostly the fear). I am glad we survived and we should celebrate (but remember and learn).

Spyder said...

I'm not going to say anything about all that lovely food, coz I'll go straight to the fridge and raid it!.......................................oh dam, too late! Hope you've had a great week so far! I'm late as usual but I'm sure T for Tuesday was 'fabulous!'
(Lyn)

Unknown said...

I'm in awe of the variety of your meals which always look so varied and interesting, and I love how you quote where the recipes come from :) I love cookbooks but unfortunately most of mine are still in Australia... and I'm a browser not an actioner of cookbooks, I like to think that the ideas seep into my head and then come out in an organic fashion (reality is, I just make the same things over and over again!)
Thank you for being excited about my son, of course I feel like I know you and Len and Len's bread too even if you live on the other side of the world! have a great April
Nancy from dreams of sourdough http://ayearindarwin.blogspot.com

Marg said...

Everything looks so good, especially the fish and broccoli.

It is poignant to look back. We caught up with some friends yesterday for lunch and we were talking about such things, how quickly things changed and what the legacies are now.

Have a great week

Liz said...

Mae, wonderful food (especially that mushroom frittata) but I was struck by your comments about immigrants. I find our treatment and policies on immigration inhuman. There is so much wealth at the very top in our country and it is not trickling down. No wonder there is also so much anger.
https://spadesspatulasandspoons.com/
Liz

Johanna GGG said...

Lots of good food in your kitchen - love the photos of Len's bread wth spreads and of the hamantaschen. Great tea towel and Sylvia wants some of that cacio e pepe gnocchi. I would love to try the napa cabbage and vegetables with miso butter. And it is hard to believe all the changes we have seen and experienced since the start of the pandemic - 4 years seems such a long time. Enjoyed your reflections on the pandemic - so many people still affected.