Sunday, March 17, 2024

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

Shamrocks at our local garden store.

At Trader Joe’s: shamrocks wrapped up for St. Patrick’s Day.

Shamrocks that we saw in Ireland.

On St. Patrick's Day I love to think about the times we have traveled in Ireland. Our trips have always been centered in Galway because my brother has spent several sabbatical years working at the university there, so we were there at least four times. We managed to visit Dublin, the Rock of Cashel, and a few other places as well. I've posted some of these photos before, but it's been a while so here they are again!

Children playing in a park in Dublin.

The Rock of Cashel, “The High King of Irish Monuments.”

Ironwork on a bridge in Galway.

Ashford Castle.


A crafts center near Galway with an interestingly painted building.

A mural on an outdoor cafe in downtown Galway.

The bar at Moran’s Oyster Cottage in Coole for Elizabeth’s celebration of drinks.

Note: As far as I've been able to discover, there's no green beer in Ireland for St. Patrick's Day or any other time. Green beer is strictly American and was invented in New York in 1914. So no pics here! (source)

Photos © 2000-2024, mae sander
Shared with Sami’s Monday Murals

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
I enjoyed seeing your photos of Ireland. It is such a beautiful country, so much to see. Are shamrocks really lucky. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

Jeanie said...

I love seeing your photos of Ireland. Happy St. Patrick's Day and cheers to memories!

GreenComotion said...

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you!
I had no clue about the Green Beer since I have gone the "no alcohol" route.
I really enjoyed all the pictures in your post, especially the ironwork and the one with the children in the park.
Thank you for sharing your picture for all of us to see.
Be well!

Cindy said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I love your Ireland pics, thanks for sharing!

Sherry's Pickings said...

Hubby and I spent a few days in Ireland years ago. Oh the Irish are so funny! Deliberately giving us wrong directions to famous places etc. And our hotel room had a shower just sitting in the middle of the room. Very odd indeed. Happy St Paddy's Day to you.

Claudia said...

Lovely photos, remind me of my trip the Emerald Isle! And, who wants green beer anyway? Sounds like something with suspicious ingredients. My favorite lately is Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout.

Jim said...

Great post.

DVArtist said...

Happy St Patrick's day. This is a very cool post. I love the castles and I would love to visit the basket store. Have a nice day today.

magiceye said...

Lovely memories of your visit to Galway to commemorate St.Patricks day!
Green beer sounds awful!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, you can buy luck there, how handy ;-)
I have two shamrocks here from fellow blogger Bill and I do feel lucky in this blogger-community!

Sami said...

Happy St Patrick's day. Nice photos of your visits to Ireland.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Those littles playing in the park are so sweet ... they could have been from the more distant past even! How great that you got to spend so much time there with a good guide who was living there at the time!! ..... the shamrock planters are a cute idea..

thecuecard said...

Thanks for the shamrocks and pics of Ireland. I have yet to go there --- so i appreciate traveling there in my head from someone who has!

CJ Kennedy said...

This post made me smile. Fab photos. A colleague from Ireland mentioned the other day that St. Patrick's Day really isn't celebrated by the Irish the way it is in the US. Happy T Day

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful photos, Mae, Ireland is such a lovely place. The photos are great, and the girls in their blue dresses and hats reminded me of my school time in London! Hugs, Valerie

Lisca said...

Lovely photos of Ireland. I've never been to Ireland, but I'd love to. I'm sure I will make that happen in the not too distance future.
I think they celebrate St Patrick's Day a lot mor in the States than in Europe. And the shamrocks are sweet. Are they the same as clover?
Happy T-Day,
Lisca