Friday, March 01, 2024

Reading and Watching This Week

I reread There, There by Tommy Orange, which I originally reviewed in 2018 (link)
I am now reading the newly-published sequel. My recent visit to the Museum of the American Indian
included an exhibit about broken treaties between the US and the Native Americans. Totally relevant here!


A Beautiful Bird Book


Thanks to Deb at Readerbuzz, who reviewed this last week, I bought a copy —
there was a great price on amazon.com.

I’m reading this wonderful book a little at a time. It’s very packed with information about birds.
The large format enables images of many birds at their full size.


The details of each bird’s capabilities illustrate the general way that birds are adapted to life on earth.

New on Streaming


I have only watched a few of the episodes from the first 12 seasons of Vera, but now started the new one.


Finally Read


Finished this book on my second attempt. 
Colson Whitehead is a brilliant writer. During the last few years, I’ve read four of his literary and historical novels which are fantastic. Zone One was published in 2011 — a very different type of book. It’s about an apocalyptic future where a plague is turning humans into living skeletons that eat not-yet-turned humans. “There were hours when every last person on Earth thought they were the last person on Earth.” (p. 108)

The book is centered around one character who goes by the name Mark Spitz (because he can’t swim). He is a very average American, but somehow a survivor. Whitehead  shows Mark Spitz’s consciousness of the apocalyptic scene that has replaced a recognizable America — especially New York. There are wonderful observations of middle-class people who had a comfortable life until faced with disaster. Food descriptions help to set the horrifying atmosphere in a nightmare world: Whitehead is a wizard with working food descriptions into the narrative to make it come alive. I marked many passages; here’s one about Mark Spitz:

“On impulse he purchased a deluxe combo juice at the café on the way out and decided not to say anything when the pimply skel dropped a banana slice into the blender. He hated banana. He drank it anyway, blowing into the striped straw to dislodge a plug of pulp, and stepped out to the sidewalk into the rush-hour stream of the dead on their way home, the paralegals, mohels, resigned temps, bike messengers, and slump-shouldered massage therapists, the panoply of citizens in the throes of their slow decay. The plague was a meticulous craftsman, dabbing effects with deliberation.” (p. 133)

Mark Spitz works with others to try to restore humanity by destroying the living skeletons and disposing of the corpses — anyone can see that they are zombies, but Whitehead is such a clever writer that the word never appears in his text. A search of the Kindle edition turns up only one use of the word which is on the copyright page as a keyword for library searches!

I’m really happy that Whitehead turned his fantastic gifts to creating novels that I’m more enthusiastic about. I think he’s one of the best authors writing now.

Strange Weather We’re Having!

Tuesday, February 27: Record High. Detroit was 73°


Wednesday, February 28: More than 35 degrees colder!

Temperature dropped as low as 19° F by Thursday morning.


Blog post © 2024 mae sander


 

20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Thanks for sharing the books and reviews. I would like the Sibley bird book.
I noticed last night that Vera's season 13 has started on Britbox. We are enjoying some temps in the 60's too, very nice. The crocus blooms are so pretty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Aritha V. said...

Nice blog, thank you!

📚 Bird books are great, and like you, I often buy something because someone else recommended it. Sometimes even in the thrift store. How about you? Do you ever buy books at the thrift store? Anyway, your book seems very beautiful to me, and the title is also so nice, but I don't think it's translated into Dutch.

I came here via Eileen's Linkup. You'll find my contribution there.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Mae :=)
The bird book appeals to me, and even though I have many, the illustrations are tempting me to try to buy it on Amazon. Vera is a series I know about, but as I don't like the actress won't be watching, but I do like detective novels and films. I think "Little Voice" put me off the actress.
Thanks for the review
All the best
Sonjia

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What it's like to be a bird...I'm going to put this on my wish list. Love any books about birds but especially by this author!

DVArtist said...

Really a wonderful post. A few years ago I sold or gave away most of my books. My eyes are not good, and it seemed silly to keep them on the shelves gathering dust. I kept my most important books and as tempted as I am to buy one or two that I would like to have, I stay the course and walk away. So good for you for being able to read and then sharing it with us. Have a ncie day.

thecuecard said...

That's a big temp difference! We've had similar temp changes: earlier in the week it was close to 55 degrees and today it's 14F with snow ... It must be spring! Love the bird illustrations in the book.

Literary Feline said...

Both the Tommy Orange books look good. I hope you enjoy the sequel. The artwork in What It's Like to Be a Bird is lovely! Not my usual type of book but it's tempting just for the pictures. I don't think I've heard of Zone One, but it does sound like a compelling read. I really liked his Nickel Boys. I hope you have a great weekend and week ahead, Mae!

Cindy said...

Our weather has been weird too! Have a great weekend!

Joy said...

I have a Sibley bird identification guide, but this looks even more informative.

We're watching the new season of Vera, too.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I thought it was going to be hot on Padre Island. I ended up having to wear four shirts to stay warm. I guess we all got hit with a little late winter. But the birds didn't seem to realize winter isn't over. I've never seen so many birds. I hope to do a post on it later this week.

I'm delighted that you are enjoying What It's Like to Be a Bird. Our naturalist group will be discussing it later this summer. I read a copy from the library, but I think I'll buy my own copy.

I'll share Vera with my mystery-loving spouse.

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

That bird book looks really interesting! I want to learn more about birds. I just need to motivate myself to do it. :)

Helen's Book Blog said...

While I am excited for my people in the east and midwest for having warmer than usual temperatures, I fear that it signals a global change, which cannot be good.

I look forward to seeing what you think of the new Tommy Orange book. I heard about it for the first time just the other day and really liked reading There, There.

JoAnn said...

Love that bird book! I borrowed it from the library and intended to buy a copy for myself at some point... will go check the price today. I'm hoping to read There, There within the next couple of months. My parents are near Syracuse NY... they got the 70 degree weather for a couple of days, then 14" of snow the next. Crazy!

My name is Erika. said...

The only one of these I'm familiar with is Vera, but I must admit I have never seen it. That looks like a super bird book, and I need to put it on my list, definitely. hugs-Erika

Jenni Elyse said...

Our weather has been the same. The week before last it felt like spring had sprung. This week, we're getting more snow. Ugh.

Mae Travels said...

Thanks for all the comments, Friends! It's good to hear from you.
mae

Vicki said...

I love the tree and flower photos!

Rachel @Waves of Fiction said...

I like that bird book! I'm a new-ish bird watcher and have a book, but that one looks good. Our weather has been nuts too! Have a great week!

Jeanie said...

My two cents-- never trust the weather in March. (But I want to!) With today's rain a good day to work in the basement and try to reclaim my space! I love the "Vera" series. So glad there's this season -- it may be the last, but after 13 seasons, I shouldn't complain. (But I will.)

Sherry's Pickings said...

Brenda Blethyn is marvellous! Love her Vera. I have several bird books as I have been a bird-watcher for years. We've had a baby bush turkey in the backyard lately; fortunately it hasn't stayed around - they are so destructive to your garden (not that we have a garden). Hope your month is a good one.