Sunday, March 03, 2024

Painted Pillars

Art Everywhere!

In looking through my recent photos of street art and other art in public places, I’ve noticed quite a few examples of artists decorating structural pillars, both large and small. Big concrete pillars holding up highway bridges and rail crossings are often painted, as are small decorative pillars or structural pillars holding up a building. One fascinating thing about a cylindrical pillar is that you can’t get a photo of the whole design, you have to walk around it. I’ve shown some of the following photos in earlier blog posts, but I wanted to view them as a theme in street art and public art projects. Sharing with Sami’s Monday Murals.

Costa Rica

At a bar along the road: a mask on a pillar.

Painted pillar at CATIE, that is, 
The Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center

A pillar in the front yard of a house on a road where we walked.

Alexandria, Virginia

Three views of the pillars beside the door to the Torpedo Factory,
which is an art space in a repurposed industrial building from World War II.

Also at the Torpedo Factory.

Decorative pillars are nothing new: here’s an example from the 18th century.
George Washington’s home at Mount Vernon near Alexandria.

National Museum of the American Indian, Washington, DC

This pillar in the museum was being painted as part of an exhibition of chocolate history.


I included photos of this project last week, but it fits today’s theme as well.

Detroit, Michigan

On a railroad bridge.

Another RR bridge.

Ann Arbor, Michigan

A pillar inside a parking garage downtown.


A highway bridge pillar in Gallup Park.



A porch with Christmas columns — from last December.

At a Rest Stop on the Ohio Turnpike


Workers who are repaving and fixing the roadbed are always in danger.
These images encourage drivers to respect their safety needs — “Move over! Slow Down!’

So Much History!

Decorated pillars from almost 1000 years ago, recently restored. (source)


Blog post © 2024 mae sander

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great collection of murals and art!
Take care, have a great week ahead.

Lydia C. Lee said...

I like the one with the Sloths best. Tho the people on poles are quite fun. #MuralMonday

thecuecard said...


The railroad one is quite enticing -- and I like the bridge ones too.

My name is Erika. said...

It's super seeing all this art.Isn't it great how you can find it just about any place you go? hugs-Erika

magiceye said...

Wonderful art.

Cloudia said...

This post is a wonderful romp! Thoroughly enjoyed

Sami said...

Great variety of murals Mae. I love the one with the sloths, so cute.

Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Bertiebo said...

Oh yes, art is everywhere. There is so much to see if you keep your eyes open. You did.

Nicky said...

Ooh, lovely photos.

Jeanie said...

Public art can be so beautiful and you've found some fabulous examples!

Linda said...

Fun art! Your pictures of the Torpedo Factory made me so homesick! When I lived in Alexandria, I volunteered there for archaeology. Most of the staff that I knew have retired now.

Sherry's Pickings said...

I love street art, and I really like those sloths!

Sherry's Pickings said...

I love street art, and I really love those sloths!