Monday, March 04, 2024

Trying Korean Beer

Celebrating our Anniversary.

Sometimes I feel adventurous. At Miss Kim, a restaurant that we always enjoy, most of our food selections were already favorites. However, I picked a completely unknown beverage: Makku, a Korean rice beer, brewed near Seoul. The primary ingredient is fermented rice, and its alcohol content is around 6%.


Miss Kim, a Korean restaurant with innovative versions of the cuisine.  It’s very well-regarded.
I decided to try the Korean beer for a change. It was tangy but not very beer-like.

Rice beer (lower right in the photo) is white and opaque, without much foam — new to me!
The foods: carrot salad, sautéed broccoli with caramelized fish sauce, lettuce-and-pear salad, and smashed potatoes are all delicious favorites of ours. Our main course (not shown) was roast duck breast.

I was unable to find an indication of the alcohol content on the beer can. It also lacked the legally required
mention of the Michigan can deposit. I find this unusual. 

A Little Bit of History

An 18th century Korean drinking party by painter Shin-Yun Bok. (source)

Alcoholic beverages have been produced and consumed in Korea for centuries, and are mainly brewed from rice and a traditional yeast starter. According to an article at liquor.com:This brewing system is at least 2,000 years old and was driven by jesa, or ancestor worship. Members of Korea’s noble class would offer their best crops, foods and homebrewed alcohol to their deceased forebears.”

European-style Korean beer is a recently introduced product, but a rice beverage called makgeolli — on which Makku is based — is an older Korean tradition. Makgeolli is low-alcohol, and some times called beer, sometimes wine.

An article in the LA Times (“The Secret History of Makgeolli”) explained how fermentation of rice was banned for a long time in Korea, but the tradition persisted illegally and in secret as a home-brewing activity, mainly done by women.  Makgeolli, as the article described it, was “yogurt-tart cloudy rice beer that Koreans have been drinking for centuries. The practice of making it at home was derailed in the last century, but a new generation of Koreans, both on the peninsula and in diaspora, are reclaiming old traditions.” 

More about the Korean brewing traditions that were forbidden in the 1960s because of rice shortages during the post-war era, and finally legalized again in the 1990s:

Makgeolli is one drink in a family of Korean rice brews that can all be made by roughly the same process: Steam rice, mix it with water and nuruk, a wheat cake fermentation starter, and let the microbes go to work. Makgeolli falls under the umbrella of takju, the cloudy rice beer you get when you first strain your mash; the results have a creamy, horchata-esque mouthfeel.”

 The entry in Wikipedia considers makgeolli to be a wine, and describes it thus:

Makgeolli … sometimes anglicized to makkoli (/ˈmækəli/,[1] MAK-ə-lee), is a Korean alcoholic drink. It is a milky, off-white, and lightly sparkling rice wine that has a slight viscosity, and tastes slightly sweet, tangy, bitter, and astringent. Chalky sediment gives it a cloudy appearance. As a low proof drink of six to nine percent alcohol by volume, it is often considered a "communal beverage" rather than hard liquor.

Blog post © 2024 mae sander

21 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

Interesting. I have never heard of this "beer", but the alcohol content of 6% sounds good and is close to the alcohol content of many German beers (some have even less than that). I find many beers in the US not only too hoppy, but also with an alcohol content that is too high. But Makku doesn't seem to be a beer at all. You said it didn't taste like beer - what did it taste like?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy belated anniversary. It looks like yu had a lot of delicious appetizers and sides. I'm not a fan of duck. I have never cared for dark meat and I remember that's all duck was when we had it at home (when I was a child).

I enjoyed learning about the rice beer. I enjoyed the brief history of the milky looking drink. I am surprised about the MI can deposit. I guess it saves in the long run, but I suspect if we tried doing that in KS, there would be less than enthusiastic approval.

Thanks for teaching us about Makku and sharing your anniversary lunch with us for T this week, dear Mae.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy Anniversary Mae and Len! ... I would leave the beer to Bill because he is the expert -- I am that boring person who always orders white wine ... preferably a Pinot Grigio. (ho hum). But I *would* try any of the food on Miss Kim's menu -- I like Korean cuisine a lot (we both do) and your choices sound lovely..

Mae, I thought you might like to know that yesterday I did a Google image search to make sure my picture of the lighthouse at Cape Horn was what I thought it was (for a future post I will do soon). I was right about my picture, but what Google gave me first in my search results was a post on Cape Horn from Mae's Food Blog! I thought, wow, I know this famous traveler!! It was wonderful to see you in this unexpected way! And you topped Wikipedia and other sources that identified the lighthouse!! (And I loved reading your older post as much as I do everything you blog!)

DVArtist said...

What a wonderful post. I made sure I had Japanese beer when I was there. The food looks so good. I love reading the history. Have a very nice day today.

Cloudia said...

How interesting!

Iris Flavia said...

Rice shortages!!! Wow,now this was an interesting one and it all looks so yummy!

My name is Erika. said...

I have never heard of Korean style rice beer. It is really white, isn't it? The big question is, would you get it again? And Happy anniversary to you both also. Have a super T day. hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous, I love trying new beers - I hope you enjoyed it 😊. So interesting and that's a lovely photo of you both. Take care and Happy T Day ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

eileeninmd said...

Happy Anniversary! I would prefer wine over the beer.
The foods looks delicious! Take care, have a great day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s a long time since I had Korean food and now I have a hankering for it. Maybe today I’ll go to the Asian market and at least buy kimchi.

Jeanie said...

First of all, Happy Anniversary. Or Belated anniversary, as the case may be. I can't think of two better suited people! This looks like a fabulous way to celebrate. Rick's a Korean food fan;; I'm less so, but it's all so beautiful!

Linda said...

Happy anniversary. Those Korean vegetables look good.

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy belated anniversary! Glad you had a good meal out. Happy T Day

Spyder said...

Lovely post and what an unusual beer! The food looks delicious! Happy Belated anniversary. Happy T day! (Lyn) most likely last again!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Belated Happy Anniversary! Your meal looks lovely although I am not sure whether I would like the beer. Maybe just a sip! Happy T Day, Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

I enjoyed this education on this “rice” beer. It looks like coconut milk. The food looks good. Happy T Day.

Rachel @Waves of Fiction said...

Happy Anniversary, Mae! Looks like you had a nice and delicious celebration! Never heard of Korean beer, but it sounds very different from what we expect beer to be. Did you like it?

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy anniversary! Good fun trying something new.

Lisca said...

Happy anniversary you two! And nice not to have to cook yourself.
The food looks lovely. All of those salads look very appealing to me (and I'm not much of a salad person). I admit to never have eaten Korean food. I have just never come across a Korean restaurant.
The beer sounds interesting. You are like me, whenever I go out for a meal, I will always try something I don't know. It was interesting to read about the history.
Sorry I'm late in commenting. (Busy week)
Lisca

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Happy anniversary, Mae! That's a great picture of the two of you.

Two thousand years old! Wow.

thecuecard said...

Happy belated anniversary! I hope you enjoyed the brew and the dinner. Nice photos.