Thursday, March 28, 2024

Of Bats and Book Reviews

 

One of the twenty-six bat species in Cuba (source).

Thinking of bats makes me very curious. Mammals that have evolved to be able to fly and to navigate by speaking in high-pitched sounds that echo back to their sensitive ears for echo-location is just amazing. Can we humans ever imagine what a bat’s life feels like? Cuban bats play a role in the recent book Anita de Monte Laughs Last by Xochitl Gonzalez, so I decided to look them up. Some bats really look creepy, others just look like flying mice.



The plot of this recently-published  novel is so suspenseful that I’m not going to write about it because it would spoil it if you decide to read it (which I strongly recommend). Fortunately, I didn’t read any reviews before I read it so I loved the many surprising insights it offers about the challenges faced by American immigrants, about the huge egos of artists, and about the life of a college student from an immigrant family.

For example, the reviewer in the New York Times gave away too much of the plot: she (he?) didn’t like the book because it asked too much of the reader. Luckily I didn’t read this clueless review until after I read and very much liked the book. Xochitl Gonzalez, a writer I already liked, didn’t ask too much of me!

Review © 2024 mae sander

13 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds really good, and I'm glad you didn't give too much away. hugs-Erika

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

So many reviews of books ruin the book for me---the reviews tell too much of the plot or they get my hopes up for a book so that I am bound to be disappointed.

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for sharing the book!
Neat photo of the bats. I have seen them in caves and flying around my back yard at night. Take care, have a great day!

Velva- Evening with a Sandwich said...

This sounds like a good page turner. Love it. Thanks for sharing the book with us.

Velva

sirkkis said...

Have a wonderful
Easter 🐣
Greetings
from Finland 🦇😊

DVArtist said...

I love bats. When I lived in N. ID. I had a bat house in one of our trees. Here in OR. the bats have rabies so I decided not to put another one up. Glad you enjoyed the book. Have a nice weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,
I will be looking for this book, thanks for sharing.
I do not always read or go by reviews.
Bats are important, even if they are a little creepy.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.
Take care, have a great weekend.
PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

EricaSta said...

Interesting, thank you for sharing.

Happy Easter Everybunny!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I LOVE bats, I met them in Germany very close up as in my hand (poor fella got lost) and in Australia (fruit bats, high up in the trees and some awake) - I have to have that book, thank you!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Got it :-) And P.S. we´ve been to Cuba three times, so this book is a double-plus :-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I was very happy to encounter a couple of species of Cuban bats on my recent trip there. Bats are wonderful creatures, underrated it seems, and irrationally feared by many.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Mae :=)
Great picture of the bats, They sometimes fly inside my house by mistake, and I see them flying around outside in the evening. The book sounds like an exciting read.
All the best
Sonjia.

Debbie said...

this is a great post but i must admit, i do not love bats, i also know they are important. here where i live in new jersey, we have a lot of bats!! happy easter, have a nice day!!