Friday, March 22, 2024

Street Art in Detroit


Last weekend after visiting the Detroit Institute of Arts, we stopped to look at several murals as we were driving towards the freeway to return home to Ann Arbor. This neighborhood near Trumbull Avenue appears to be undergoing quite a lot of rebuilding and rehab. Some of the older murals have been covered up by newer structures built in front of them. Generally, though, the murals seem to have been respected as art works, and they show very few defacing graffiti. I do not have any information about the murals I photographed, but here they are.




"Francios" by Chelsea Overton.






Blog post and all photos © 2024 mae sander
Shared with Eileen’s Saturday Critters and Sami’s Monday Murals
 

15 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thank you Mae I so enjoyed seeing these and your companionable narrative. Aloha

eileeninmd said...

Great collection of murals! I love all the critters, especially the elephant.
The Francios mural is cool. I am glad they are not ruin by graffiti. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Iris Flavia said...

"Paint the city" is a great motto - and it came out beautifully, too!

Jeanie said...

I haven't been to DIA since last year's Van Gogh. It's time!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

the big snail is my favorite! I'm always amazed at the talented people that can paint on big surfaces like this. Just beautiful!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Thank you so much for sharing these with us. What is it about seeing murals that brightens my day?

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure there is far more to Detroit than I know, but travelling through it a few times, and once attending a trade show there, it seems to be a shocking case of urban decay in its most abject manifestation. At least the murals brighten up neighborhoods.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Love the Detroit murals! Thanks for sharing your finds.

Yvonne said...

Enjoyed this unusual set of murals very much.

Sherry's Pickings said...

Oh I love that whale!

Adam Jones said...

That's some cool artwork.

Lydia C. Lee said...

The elephant is so cute - what a joyous find! #MuralMondays

Bertiebo said...

I love the blue animals

Sami said...

My favourites are the "Paint the city" and the Elephant one, so cute :)
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Linda said...

Fun murals! I love the elephant and the lion.