Sunday, March 10, 2024

Airports Anywhere

Inside Airports

As we headed for airport security at LAX a year ago, I noticed this large mural:
many airports have added interesting art to their decor to distinguish them a tiny bit.

The book I read last month — Filterworld by Kyle Chayka — mentioned how airports seem to all look alike so you can almost forget where you are. Of course everyone knows this and it’s been true for decades. I checked some photos I’ve taken at various airports over the years that pretty much confirm this idea. When you are in an airport, the only unpredictable element is how much the snack shops, coffee shops, and drink kiosks will gouge the prices. Current consumer reactions on the gouging issue are even a reason why airports are in the news lately. For example,  “Chex Mix has become the symbol of overpriced airport snacks," describes how people feel about this. Also see Paul Krugman’s recent article pointing out why airports are more and more geared to the demands of richer travelers: “The Rich Spend Differently from You and Me.”

Airports look alike, mainly:


Detroit Metro Airport. Lots of airports look like this, wouldn’t you say?

Tel Aviv airport, 2016. Murals depicting great Israeli researchers, including a friend of ours.


Atlanta, December 2023

Detroit, January, 2024. Same Coca-Cola vending area as Atlanta. I bet there are more!

Salt Lake City, 2021. Murals along a passageway between terminals. Alike or different?

San Francisco, February 2023. This display was a bit different, but the rest of the airport is the same.

San Diego, 2023.

Amsterdam airport, 2022.


Waiting to board an Alaska Airlines flight last year.
 Note: we hope we never have to fly Alaska Airlines again. They really messed us up.

Anywhere any time. The harsh lighting is definitely universal!

Paris, Charles deGaulle Airport, 2013. High-end shops — you can just make out “Dior” and “Hermes.”
More and more airports are offering luxury brands for shoppers.

Photos © 2013-2024 mae sander.

Waiting in Line: the Universal Airport Experience

Security lines, luggage-check-in lines, customs, immigration, emigration (from other countries), lines for boarding the plane, lines for MacDonalds, lines for restrooms — the possibilities for waiting at airports are numerous and the atmosphere cut-throat. While waiting in these lines I’m usually frazzled. Do I have things organized as required for security, liquids in a bag (when there’s no TSA pre-check privilege), boarding pass ready? And of course one can’t waste time taking photos of this painful experience! Here are some airport line photos I culled from the web.






I’m getting anxious just looking at these photos!
I can only bear to post this because I don’t have a plan for flying very soon.

21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love all the murals! Salt Lake City airport has pretty murals. I agree most airport look alike. Those long lines can get crazy. I hope Alaska airplanes have been checked over well and are safe to fly again. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

DVArtist said...

I used to fly quite a lot. Now, the thought of it sends me into a panic. Great shots.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I was flying home from the east coast last year and was in a bunch of airports. I noticed the great art that is has been put up and that makes me happy. Even better? There were teenagers admiring the art!

Cindy said...

I have not had to fly in a long time and hope never to again! Your photos bring back a lot of memories for me as well, LOL. Not all of them pleasant.

dancewme said...

I like all those pictures. I have so many memories of traveling. My most recent memory that comes to mind is my sister pushing me in a wheelchair at the chicago aiport because that airport is massive and I just couldn't handle the walking.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I used to fly a lot in my job. Now the thought of flying sends shivers up my spine. Seeing those photos scares me now we have so many rules and regulations by which we now have to abide. LOVED the murals, though.

Jenn Jilks said...

I would think that by the nature and requirements of an airport they must be somewhat alike. That said, I love the airports I've been to, as they install artwork that features that area.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Airports are indeed a very strange beast...#MuralMondays

My name is Erika. said...

I'm flying Tuesday and this is giving me the cringes. I think airports have their own personalities, and there's some I like and some I don't like. But I will admit, if I could air travel and avoid most airports, I would. hugs-Erika

Nas said...

That queue is horrendous! Recently we had to spend six hours at Dubai Airport on our way back from Egypt. It is so hard to wait in transit even though Dubai is a bustling airport.

magiceye said...

Beautiful photos of airports. The murals are lovely and the queues are anxiety inducing!

thathappyreader said...

I love airport art and architecture! Vancouver where I live has won multiple awards for theirs. Long lineups seem to part of the airport experience now and I find myself getting to the airport earlier and earlier to avoid the stress of worrying about missing my flight.

Iris Flavia said...

It hurt a little to go through your pics, especially the last one. Do I HATE the procedure!
Before 9/11 traveling was so easy!!!
Nice murals. In Frankfurt I saw none. Singapore has some nice art and Perth... I think I was just too nervous to even look. Or too sad.

Bertiebo said...

Yes, murals make the difference

Sami said...

I've also noticed more and more airports seem to be adding more art, sculptures, etc to their airports, but mostly they all look very much alike.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I saw this morning that the TSA is opening a self-serve check-in at an airport as a trial today, in Salt Lake, I think. It's just for those who are already pre-approved to go through a quick check-in.

I like the art in airports. Maybe those who design airports could add a little poetry, too?

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

I don't think I've been in enough airports to know how similar they look. Last time I was in the Denver airport, it had some interesting artwork and several bookstores.

R's Rue said...

I love the mural at LAX. Thanks for this post. I enjoyed it.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Sharon Wagner said...

Airports can be beautiful. In Minneapolis there's a lot of local tile artwork. The last thing I want to see is long lines though. Ugh. Thanks for your blog visit!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

so different and yet so all the same! and oh my gosh I'm having a horror-movie flashback since we rather recently returned from a wonderful vacation experience book-ended (going and coming) by the usual long flights and airport insanity. (Just the usual -- Not as bad as what we've been reading about since we got home, no doors fell off or anything.)