Saturday, August 19, 2023

Katsushika Hokusai’s Rice Images and the Japanese National Dish






Rice in Japanese History and Cuisine

I've been rereading the book Rice as Self by Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney, which mentioned the many images of rice cultivation by the famous artist Hokusai (1760-1849), whose works I included above. Not long ago, I reviewed this book in a blog post here. 

Ohnuki-Tierney, a scholar of Japanese history and sociology, presents the role of rice in Japan from the earliest times, including the ways that rice was part of culture and mythology and the ways it was essential to the divinity of the Emperor and to the development of nationalism before World War II. The author also documents the way that the Japanese diet has shifted away from rice in recent times, up until the early 1990s (when the book was published). I’ve checked a few more recent sources, and rice consumption in Japan has continued its decline in the ensuing 30 years. 

I especially enjoyed the description of gods and god-like characters that had a role in defining the importance of rice in Japanese life. For example, Amaterasu, the sun goddess, had a great-grandson called Amatsu Hiko Hiko Hohotemino Mikoto — that is “a male child of the Sun Goddess and Lord of rice stalks with numerous heads.”  As a god of rice culture, he predominated over his brother, a sea-god. Significantly, this rice-god became the ancestor of the first Emperor, whose descendants have been the Japanese Emperors ever since that time. (p. 52)

The Emperors of Japan were eclipsed by the actual political and military rulers, the Shoguns, for several centuries. During the Shoguns' rule, Japan was cut off from international contact. In 1868, the Emperor Meiji was restored to actual power, the beginning of vast changes, also initiated by the opening of the country to foreigners -- forced by the military presence of Admiral Matthew Perry whose ships had arrived in 1853. 

The whole new era demanded a whole new national myth, which included a definition of rice as the key to nationalistic food ways. Rice had always been an important and sacred food, but now it became an even more important aspect of the Emperor as a divine being who symbolized the nation. The process of creating this national myth is fascinating and very complicated, especially as the era was simultaneously a time of rapid westernization of Japan, including the adoption of technology, literature, clothing styles, and many other features of European and American culture -- including food. 

The central place of rice developed right alongside of the introduction of much more meat to the Japanese diet. So complicated! A symbolically national meal developed partly from an existing tradition of elaborate banquets where small elegant dishes, mainly vegetables, were served with rice as the final course. This Kaiseki meal is still served by very upscale restaurants in Japan, as a kind of ideal, not an everyday menu.

The militarization of Japan in the prelude to World War II, and the terrible destruction and reconstruction of the post-war era, was a time of much more modernization of Japan, but with a definition of the exceptional Japanese essence. During the postwar era, American wheat was shipped in to prevent mass hunger, and was mainly used for another traditional inexpensive and popular dish: ramen noodles. Nevertheless, rice remained as the national staple and ritual food, even as rice consumption dropped -- on average, people had eaten 5 bowls of rice per day, and now they eat one, or even have some days without rice. Bread consumption recently surpassed rice consumption, and the Japanese now eat a highly varied diet. But there is still a high value place on eating rice that has been grown in the rice paddies of the nation, just as it was valued in the early 19th century when Hokusai's iconic images were created.

Exploring a National Dish

The question of what is the real national food of Japan is the subject of one chapter in Anya Von Bremzen’s recent book National Dish (I wrote about the chapter on France last month in this post.)

She, as well as Ohnuki-Tierney, describe how first Chinese food and later Western food entered Japanese foodways — both quote the saying “Wakon yosai” which means “Japanese spirit, Western learning.” Von Bremsen writes of this motto:

“I recalled the famous Meiji period motto describing essentially the native genius for adapting and appropriating—Japanizing and indigenizing—borrowed ideas. Of course before Meiji, the saying was wakon kansai, or ‘Japanese spirit, Chinese learning.’” (National Dish, p. 102)

Which is more popular in Japan: noodle bowls or rice? Or have they been overtaken by pizza, hamburgers, or other Western dishes? What’s most popular in the Japanese convenience stores (like Seven-Eleven)? Many Japanese people rely on these stores for buying much of their food. 

Von Bremzen writes:

"Noodles as such arrived in Japan with Chinese Buddhist monks around the twelfth century. But it took another eight centuries for a dish recognizable as ramen (noodles + meaty savory broth + toppings) to emerge as a popular snack dispensed by yatai pushcarts and cheap Chinese restaurants." (p. 88)

She summarizes the question of which is more essential: ramen noodles or rice:

"Ramen and rice, rice and ramen. They made a curious dialectical binary: one a Chinese-origin hybrid that eventually relied on imported American wheat, the other a homegrown treasure imbued with a near-mystical aura as the 'edible symbol' of the Japanese self. Fast versus slow, appropriation versus tradition. And yet both were part of the national food canon: rice, a hallowed cornerstone of washoku (a timeless and supposedly ancient ideal of an ur-Japanese meal); ramen, the 'naturalized' modern star of kokuminshoku, inexpensive 'people’s cuisine,' one that fueled Japan’s post-WWII reconstruction and boom." (pp. 78-79). 

Her attempts to figure out what food is most important there took place during a rather amusing stay in Tokyo a few years ago. Like Ohnuki-Tierney, Von Bremzen concludes that despite the decline in rice consumption, Japanese people still have an actual reverence for rice: it’s the soul food of Japan no matter how much or how little they eat, and no matter how much more flavorful and deliciously aromatic other choices may be.

A Formal Japanese Meal

A small plate of food from a Kaiseki meal: one of many elaborate dishes.
Evelyn is in Japan, and had this meal a few days ago.

The rice served at the formal meal, with tea.

Blog post © 2023 mae sander


16 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I think you should plan a trip to Japan Mae. :) I think you've said you've been. I would love to go back myself, and as I caught up today it makes me think about that. I love the Hokusai paintings. That National Dish book is in my wishlist already, and so I enjoyed reading about it, other than the blurbs. Thanks. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The art work is pretty. I could alternate rice and ramen, I like them both. The National Dish book sounds interesting, I will add it to my list. Have a happy weekend.

Tina said...

I agree with Erika, you should go to Japan.

Jeanie said...

Those paintings are really gorgeous. I love that style. I loved the food in Japan. And it was always beautifully served,even in a more or less home setting.

Valerie-Jael said...

I would like to visit Japan, but I don't like rice or tea. We have a very large Japanese colony here in Düsseldorf, with lots of shops, businesses, schools and of course a wonderful Temple. Valerie

Joy said...

This was fascinating. Thanks!

Terrie said...

You make the most interesting posts. Cool Japanese art; I have a few pieces that my mom picked up when we lived in Taiwan that I just love. It's a definite aesthetic. Have a terrific week Mae!
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-60

ashok said...

Loved those paintings..very mystical

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Rice farming has been prominent in my county and neighboring counties for over a century. I had no idea that rice was linked with Japanese nationalism. It's an interesting concept. I also did not realize that rice consumption in Japan has declined since World War II.

The formal plates of food are art.

Harvee said...

I'm convinced that if I lived in Japan, in spite of the rice, I'd lose weight, because of the smaller portions of their meals. And so attractively presented!

When I lived in Thailand, I was forced by popular opinion to finish all the rice on my plate and not to leave one grain, because rice is also respected as a national treasure. I poured gravy and sauce over the rice to finish it, too bad for me. I gained weight!

Now I realize I should have asked for less or no rice when I ordered lunch at work.

anno said...

Gorgeous artwork (paintings? woodblock prints?) by Hokusai! And, like Deb, I was interested to hear about the link between rice and the development of Japanese nationalism. Fortunate Evelyn, to have enjoyed such a gorgeous and elaborate meal! Truly an honor.

I never managed to finish Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking, but this latest work by von Bremzen sounds like it offers an interesting way to find my way back to reading nonfiction once again.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Food as art. Too lovely to eat? Enjoy!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was quite impressed by the Japanese paintings. They are lovely.

I was surprised that I have eaten most of those international dishes, but had never heard of meze. That formal dinner reminds me of when Erika was in Japan. The bowl of food is pure art!

thecuecard said...

Love the Japanese art images. So much to look at in these drawings. I like rice & noodles ... perhaps rice a bit more. It goes with so much too.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Love the rice images! The only thing I know about rice and Japan is that when we took our visiting Japanese friend out for Japanese food one night, he was horrified when I put my teriyaki steak on top of the rice to eat it. That was the day I learned the rice should be eaten separately. Plain. By itself. No sauce.

Sherry's Pickings said...

as you may remember I am a Japan-ophile - is that a word? :=) I love these japanese prints and the history.