Monday, August 07, 2023

Japanese Arts

Bonsai

The entrance to the Bonsai Garden at Matthaei Botanical Gardens, Ann Arbor.

Many botanical gardens and other types of gardens where I have visited have a section devoted to bonsai, often displaying bonsai trees that have been created by members of local bonsai clubs or associations. I always enjoy seeing these miniature potted landscapes, which are often meant to look like dwarf versions of trees one might see in an actual landscape, especially in a rugged setting where the tree has been stressed and stunted. I've been reading a little bit about this art form, which originated in China as much as thousands of years ago, which was adapted to Japanese taste hundreds of years ago,  and which is now a popular hobby with Americans. Various groups of bonsai enthusiasts have developed their own styles and conventions for how to train the tiny trees to create an effect of miniature natural beauty. 







Reading about Bonsai

I am a frequent visitor to the bonsai garden at out local Botanical Gardens, but after my most recent visit, I felt curious about the art of training these dwarf trees to look like miniature landscapes. In the current LA Times, I read an article, "The Oaxacan-born cook caring for Yamaguchi Nursery’s historic bonsai collection," about Miguel Hernandez, who works as a cook in a diner in Los Angeles, but who also is a talented bonsai artist. The nursery was founded by a Japanese bonsai expert, George Yamaguchi, who died in 2005. In Japan, bonsai is an art form; there are contests for best works, and examples sell for large sums of money.

"But in the U.S., bonsai has always been the project of devoted hobbyists, and most of them are not Japanese. John Naka, known to enthusiasts as the godfather of American bonsai, eschewed competition and encouraged a focus on personal mastery. Along with Yamaguchi and other Japanese Americans such as Ben Oki and Harry Hirao, he traveled the country and taught anyone willing to put in the time and do the work."

Another article from 2022 in the New Yorker described the experiences of a young American, Ryan Neil, who managed to become an apprentice to a leading bonsai artist in Japan. Titled "The Beautiful, Brutal World of Bonsai," this article describes the six-year apprenticeship that included quite a bit of abuse that would be entirely unacceptable in any US educational or professional environment. In fact, such brutal treatment has become outside the norm in Japan as well, but still exists in a few areas.

Bonsai in other gardens

Bonsai at the Morikami Gardens near Boca Raton, Florida, 2020.

Bonsai for sale at the La Jolla, California, farmers' market, 2008.

Bonsai at the Huntington Gardens near LA, 2019.

Gardens and Tea Ceremonies

Korakuen Gardens, Tokyo, Japan, 2008.

Morikami Gardens, 2010.

I am fascinated by the beauty in many Japanese garden traditions. This is the Ihoan tea ceremony hut
 at the Kodaiji Temple in Kyoto. The formal garden traditions seem to me to echo the aesthetic of bonsai. (source)

The rituals of the tea ceremony include views of flower arrangements and often a walk through a
garden to arrive at the tea house, as suggested in this 19th century illustration. (source)
This tea party is included to be shared with Elizabeth and her Monday blog party.

Blog post and original photos © 2008-2023 mae sander
Other images as credited.


15 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

It is quite an art!

Iris Flavia said...

I need to see if ours has a section, too.

anno said...

That bonsai garden at Matthaei is pretty amazing, as are the other examples you've shared, especially echo of bonsai traditions you noted in the gardens surrounding the Ihoan tea ceremony hut. Beautiful!

Carola Bartz said...

The bonsai you are showing here all are beautiful and interesting. I like the crooked mini trees that remind me of some of the trees at our coast. Beautiful post, Mae.

Kate Yetter said...

Yes, it is an art. I have watched several videos and read articles and it seems harder than one might think. But they are SO beautiful, and I would love one. Just not at the prices they are selling them for.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

I am amazed they can make a bonsai Japanese maple tree. It's really interesting. And walk through a garden is lovely, with or without tea at the end, but probably more complete with tea. Happy T day. And I also want to thank you for the other Iceland mystery recommendation. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I may join a bonsai group in Lansing after I'm back from the summer. A friend has been encouraging me to do so but I'm still on the fence. No, wait. Not bonsai. Ikebana. Both Japanese -- I was confused. In any event -- I love these!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

One of the ladies in my NO Names, No Photos group has three bonsai. She takes very special care of them. I found your photos and story quite compelling. It makes me want to learn more about this art form. You have seem some remarkable ones.

I found it fascinating the way you were able to bring a tea house and tea into this post. Thanks for sharing a fun look at bonsai and tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend. And I can't say it enough how thoughtful it was of you to send these lovely museum quality postcards.

Lisca said...

How beautiful. I love bonsai art. My brother in law in Plymouth is an aspiring bonsai artist and he has several beautiful specimens in his garden.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, just looking at them is relaxing - kind of looking a the sea. Amazing art. I wish it was a talent I had. Lovely post, Mae. Happy T-day. Hugz

Valerie-Jael said...

Bonsai trees are pretty, but somehow I prefer the natural trees to these. Happy T Day, Valerie

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! These are simply beautiful. I love seeing them, and yes there is something so soothing about them. Have a nice day today.

thecuecard said...

Wow the garden at the tea ceremony hut is so precise and lovely it looks like a painting. There is a precise order to Japanese gardens ....

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful Japanese gardens. I have always loved the look of the bonsai trees. Interesting post, Mae. Thank you.

CJ Kennedy said...

A walk through the gardens would certainly put you in the right frame of mind for the tea ceremony. Happy T Day