Sunday, August 20, 2023

Paint the Rock!

“The Rock” — an Ann Arbor Tradition


In a little park (most people would call it a traffic island)…

Here stands the rock, which is repainted several times a week with all sorts of designs.
After decades of being repainted, the rock surface has several inches of paint accumulated.


Some painters get carried away and paint everything in sight.


The sidewalks in the park get the same treatment. I’ve showed photos of the rock quite a few times. 
The art work changes constantly. It’s even more ephemeral than most street art and graffiti.
By now, most of these images have been painted over with new images.


Blog post © 2023 mae sander
Shared with Sami’s Monday Murals

 

15 comments:

anno said...

The Rock!!! I haven't seen this in ages -- mostly because I avoid routes (anything going directly through town) that would take me past it. Thanks for the picture!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember the rock, but I do not remember the painted sidewalk. Always enjoy seeing what has changed on it.

Cindy said...

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing! Have a great week.

Rachel @Waves of Fiction said...

Interesting and colorful art abound! Beautiful!

eileeninmd said...

The paintings on the rock look way over done.
It is sad they left theft paint supplies behind.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Lydia C. Lee said...

It's not that skillful or attractive but I do love that it's a constant evolution of painting. That's kind of fun. #MondayMural

Yvonne said...

Beautiful colors!

Bertiebo said...

I like it. It's the real thing!

Sami said...

Nothing too artistic, but I'm sure the "artists" have fun painting the rock, the pavement, etc :)
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

JK Joy (aka) Jody said...

Beautiful colors. Have a beautiful day ☕πŸŒžπŸ“šπŸ’›

Susan said...

I’ve never seen a rock painted like that. I love the sidewalk too.

dee Nambiar said...

What a fun find! And what a colorful area!
It sure is a place to keep returning too.

I'd love to see the rock in its different looks.

Have a good week, Mae.

Linda said...

Painting the rock is a pretty neat idea. It’s pretty funny that people get carried away, but that could become a problem.

Jeanie said...

We have a rock, too. I wonder if all schools have them.

Sherry's Pickings said...

that's cute Mae.