Monday, August 21, 2023

The Puzzle of Blackstone Lodge


Mystery reading this week: The puzzle of Blackstone Lodge  by Martin Edwards, first published 2022. Set in the 1930s, this book is crammed with culture and drama — food, wine, fashionable and not fashionable clothing, motor cars, household situations, complicated relationships, unexplained disappearances, and murders of course. It’s a good mystery, more or less in the style of the well-known writers of that era: I’m thinking Dorothy Sayers or Agatha Christie. Like the locked room mysteries of early mystery writers, it’s very complex, with many characters, constantly shifting motives, and vast numbers of clues. The most amazing portrayal is that of a spiritual medium who possesses highly effective methods of seemingly offering contact with the dead to bereaved customers  — and charging them very high prices. The gradual revelation of the reality of this character and the discovery of how she is able to be such an effective medium is masterful.

Finally after several murders and much effort to find the murderers and their motives, there’s a very long denouement in a very unusual setting. Finally, in this scene and one more conversation, the author reveals the perpetrators — both suspected and unsuspected. The young woman amateur detective, Rachel Savernake, masterminds the entire final revelation. Although the novel is complex — even over-complex and maybe a bit too long — it’s a readable tale, and it amuses me that the author, writing in the present time, the 2020s, returned to so many classic mystery novel conventions.

A Bottle of Wine

“Jacob reclined on the settee in the sitting room of Gaunt House. Nell Fagan’s death had ruined his day, but a glass of Château Pavie 1921 provided a touch of solace. He was no wine buff, but it was the most stunning Bordeaux he’d ever tasted. … Jacob washed down Hetty’s shepherd’s pie with more than his fair share of the Château Pavie.” (p. 186-189)

Ah, yes, the pleasure of visiting a grand household that hasn’t lost its money in the Depression. I don’t know what the wine was worth then, but I’m sure it was expensive. (The bottle depicted here is available, believe it or not, for around $3500, though it may have lost some of its flavor in the past century or so.) 

UPDATE: in response to comments — to repeat, the price of a surviving bottle of the 1921 vintage TODAY is very high, but that wouldn’t have been the price in the 1930s when the book is set. Today a recent vintage is around $400.

Quite a few scenes of food and drink contribute to the atmosphere of this novel, and I always love to see how the author employs food details as a way to enhance atmosphere and character development. 

In sum: I found this to be a good read, even if very complicated and drawn-out. Above all, I am highly impressed at the vast number of loose ends that are explained in the final chapters.

Review © 2023 mae sander



18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the review and book, it is new to me. Christie and Sayers are both favorites of mine. Take care, have a wonderful week!

Jenn Jilks said...

I'll put that on my list! Thanks

R's Rue said...

Adding to my list. Thank you.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

thecuecard said...

Oh a good Bordeaux is hard to beat. Even for me who doesn't drink much Red. Glad you sifted thru the Blackstone Lodge ... mystery.

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't heard of this author, but I love the idea that's it written in the style of popular authors from that time period. And of course, that it has a bottle of wine to tie it in to T day. :) Have a great one Mae. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

This is a wonderful review and a lovely post. Have a nice evening.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sometimes over complicated story lines detract from the real theme of the storyline. Sounds like you certainly enjoyed the mystery, though. That wine was VERY expensive. I could buy a car for what you could pay for a bottle of that expensive wine. Thanks for sharing this review with us for T this Tuesday, dear Mae.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I do enjoy a good mystery and the 1930s somehow feels like a great era for one.

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds very interesting indeed!
I´m still at the owl-, the sandwich-, and the pizza-book, though!!! I need more time! (and maybe finish ONE book for good).

J said...

If I win the lottery I will treat myself to that wine!!!!
Love the description where he drinks the wine with Shepherds pie, very funny.
Happy T Day
Jan S

nwilliams6 said...

I had Shepherd's Pie and a glass of $6 wine yesterday - guessing Jacob's wine was A LOT better (his pie as well - lol). Sounds like a great book. $3,500 for a wine... Happy T-day and hugz, Mae.

Divers and Sundry said...

One of these days I'll get back into my reading habit, and then I'll remember this book. Sounds like a treat :) The wine is way outa my price range even at its "cheapest" lol, but I love the connection with the book and the lifestyle it illustrates. Fun! Thanks.

Happy T Tuesday

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a good book, thanks for the recommendation! Valerie

Lisca said...

Sounds like a good book.Thanks for the review. I searched for it and it is not on Kindle yet.
Lisca

Jeanie said...

I've got to read this one. Edwards writes all the forwards on the British Crime Library series books ofmysteries 30s-50s and he's knowledgable about the writers and their times, books, styles. I love his forwards in each of the editions as much as the books themselves. (And their covers). So it's fun knowing he has written one. He also conducted the lectures on a tour (I think it was Rhodes Scholar) on the Queen Mary a few years ago that ended up with several days in Oxford and all about mysteries. I wanted to take it but timing and finances weren't right. But would have loved that! On my list!

CJ Kennedy said...

Those vintage wines only in my dreams. Hard to afford when you have champagne taste and a muscatel budget. Happy T Day

Kate Yetter said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Belated Tea Day,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

As long as books have the loose ends tied by the end I am happy.
To allay your fears that decent food is hard to find in France- we haven't found it the case. We have made a few bad choices but overall we eat well by looking at menus, plat du jour or formule boards before we choose where to go. This year we hope to revisit some of the places we found on our last couple of trips and have every confidence that the good meals we had weren't flukes. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx