Monday, August 14, 2023

Yasunari Kawabata: Repost from 2009

For a long time, I have been fascinated by Japanese film and literature. This month, I have been rewatching and rereading some of the classics, and also trying some that are new to me. I also wanted to look back at some past choices that I've written about. The following post, from August 4, 2009, describes a book by Yasunari Kawabata (1899-1972). Thousand Cranes was originally published in serial form from 1949-1951, in book form in Japanese in 1952, and in English translation in 1958. Kawabata became Japan's first Nobel-prize winner in literature in 1968.

The Tea Ceremony

Yasunari Kawabata's Thousand Cranes takes place in Japan soon after World War II. The central character is a 25 year old man whose late father was a collector of rare old tea ceremony objects and a practitioner of the traditional tea ceremony. Quite a few of the key scenes take place in the now-mildewing tea-ceremony cottage in the family garden, and the collected objects play a major role in this psychological drama.

The focus of the book is the young man's relationship with his father's two mistresses and the daughter of one of them. An unnamed maid and another young woman are the only other characters in the book: it's almost like a stage play with only a very small cast.

Several times, there is an enactment of the tea ceremony or some part of it, at a critical emotional point. Water boils. A tear falls on the iron kettle. The choice of rare and special water vessels, tea bowls, and decorative objects creates atmosphere and they become symbols to the characters and to the story. Sometimes a meal is served.

Nothing, basically, is ever said about the characters' tasting the tea, eating the food, or even noticing what food is being served. The tea ceremony is all about ritual and proper behavior. The way it affects the characters is important in the drama of their interaction and their individual problems. However, I find it very telling that the actual content of the tea vessels is not part of this drama, as I believe it would be in an actual tea ceremony. Savoring the tea is listed in documentary books as part of the ritual -- personally I find the tea at tea ceremonies unbearably bitter, and couldn't appreciate it.

I'm not able to tell if this lack of sensual participation or tasting the small snacks or the meal of tea time would be a meaningful symbol for a Japanese reader. It may be too late to know this, as the traditions described in the book are much rarer now than they were 50 years ago when the action took place.

Copyright © mae sander 2009

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Sounds interesting, thanks for your review.
I have tasted a few different teas in the past, I do prefer my coffee.
Take care, enjoy your day!

My name is Erika. said...

One thing I don't know about the tea ceremony (well there are many things I don't know about the tea ceremony) is the significance of the event. I know it is an important part of the culture. I think the history of it would be interesting to know. Did this book mention anything like that. I hope you have a great T day Mae. hugs-Erika

Angie's Recipes said...

Not exactly my kind of read, but I remember vividly that folding cranes was once so popular..everybody in the schools were learning about it.

DVArtist said...

I try to drink tea but I like coffee better. This looks like a good book though. Have a nice evening.

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Great review!
I have really enjoyed The Old Capital by him, and am currently reading The Sound of the Mountain. So this could easily be my next by him.

Mae Travels said...

To Erica:
I did write a little bit about the history of the tea ceremony here:
https://maefood.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-japanese-way-to-celebrate-tea.html

best, mae

J said...

Not my kind of read but interesting, I know the Japanese love the Tea Ceremonies, we Brits think tea is the answer to all our problems, just put the kettle on for a cuppa!!
Happy T Day Mae Jan S

nwilliams6 said...

You read the most interesting things! This sound very interesting and deep. We are losing all our rituals and traditions in my opinion. Guessing our parents and grandparents and great grandparents all said the same thing. It is interesting to think about the impact of that.....

Cool post as always, Mae. Happy t-day and hugz

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds interesting, although up til now I was disappointed with Japanese literature and films, it is not my wave length. Have a happy T Day, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I've read something by Kawabata but don't remember what. This book sounds almost meditative in tone. Nice.

Happy T Tuesday!

Cloudia said...

Thank you for this interesting cultural and culinary post! Aloha!

jinxxxygirl said...

Coffee drinker here Mae.. .but i love the beauty of the tea Ceremony. And on a cold dark wintry night i will curl up with a book and blanket and mug of hot tea usually black tea with cream and sugar... Its a nostalgia thing i think.. i remember doing that growing up and giving my daughter a cup of tea and a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich while she curled up on the couch watching Saturday morning cartoons...lol Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Kate Yetter said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I am facinated by Japanese culture as well. Did you attend a tea ceremony in Japan?
I have had some teas that are bitter or taste like grass but for some reason the experts say they are the best quality. I drink tea for comfort and warmth so there is no way I am going to force myself to drink something that tastes unpleasant, even if it is the best.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Lisca said...

We used to have Japanese students staying with us for one week every summer. They were part of a group that came with a lady from our church, who was their English teacher. At the end of week we had a social evening in the church hall where all the students (all girls) and their host families came together and the girls would do something typical Japanese. They would wear their kimonos (in the days you could take large suitcases on intercontinental flights) and did a tea ceremony (with explanation). The tea was not what we were used to, but a bit like green tea. I later developed a taste for it.
I don't think that book would be my sort of book, but it sounds interesting.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Another really interesting read. I am in awe of your choice to write about the tea ceremony. Thanks for this, dear Mae.

CJ Kennedy said...

I've never been to tea ceremony. I wonder if I would be mindful of surroundings, the tea (look, smell, taste), I wonder if I would patient to participate? Happy T Day

Spyder said...

I guess I'm just a bit boring and only drink tea very rarely these days as I just hate it without sugar. I do drink coffee...but have to have the sugar...so, again, not too often and after that its my sqizzed up fruit drink or Hot chocolate...or just plain water.. The tea ceremony sounds interesting that someone above mentioned. The book? I just know there'll be too many words in it that I'd have to miss out! Happy T day!
((Lyn))