Saturday, August 26, 2023

The Toledo Museum of Art

The Toledo Museum of Art is less than an hour’s drive from our house, and it’s quite an excellent museum. We visited there last Wednesday after spending the morning at the lotus ponds at Lake Erie Metropark, which is around half way from Ann Arbor to Toledo (photos here).

The museum has a magnificent facade and front entrance. The useful entrance is at the back
on the parking-lot side. A lovely mural is at the end of the hall by the stairs to the main floor.
This tile mural is titled “Apollo” and is by Henri Matisse.

The large and imposing entrance hall on the main floor was busy: the workers were installing a large sculpture
by Jeff Koons titled “Balloon Monkey.”

A special exhibit poster was very exciting to see! 

“Black Orpheus: Jacob Lawrence and the Mbari Club” documented the visits of American painter
Jacob Lawrence to Nigeria in the 1960s, as well as displaying works from a collective of African artists from that time.

“Beached” from the War Series by Jacob Lawrence.

Jacob Lawrence (1917 – 2000) was an American painter. His portrayal of African-American historical subjects and contemporary life is very interesting. His two trips to Nigeria gave him added inspiration, as well as personal contact with a group of dynamic modern African painters. 

A Nigerian market scene by Jacob Lawrence.

Cutout murals explained the art and artists in each section of the exhibit.

These cutouts were based on the mural on the art studio space used by the collective that Lawrence visited.
The exhibit invited visitors to sit and look through some examples of the journal published by these artists.


“The Lazy Hunters, and the Poisonous Wrestlers, Lizard Ghost, and the Cobra” by the Nigerian artist
known as Twins Seven-Seven (1944-2011).




“People in Other Rooms” by Jacob Lawrence.

“Slavery” by Jacob Afolabia (b. 1940)

An activity space for visitors to the exhibit.

Blog post and photos © 2023 mae sander.

22 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a great museum to visit, wonderful art work and exhibits.
Have a great weekend!

Harvee said...

Glad you enjoyed our small, but great art museum. I haven't been in a while but am looking forward to the new exhibit.

Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Joy said...

That looks like a great place to visit!

Yvonne said...

I love museums and this looks like a wonderful one.

Have a great week!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Thanks for sharing photos of the Museum. I love going to art museums when I visit new places. I felt like I was with you.

Cindy said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Vicki said...

I love museums! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Mark Baker said...

Interesting art. Not my style, but I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you for sharing this interesting tour. I cannot pick a favorite... The "Balloon Monkey" stands out, though...

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Much to stimulate the imagination. A very worthwhile and enjoyable visit I am sure.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are so eclectic! What a great spot.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wonderful art. I'm so glad that someone collected these pieces and shared them with the world.

Your visit to a museum that's an hour's drive away from home reminds me that there are nineteen museums in the Houston Museum District as well as museums in Dallas, Ft. Worth, New Orleans, Austin, and San Antonio that are near me. I need to visit them.

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting exhibits. I'm not familiar with this artist, but it is always fun to discover something/someone new. Have a great rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

JK Joy (aka) Jody said...

Wow, what beautiful art works. I would love to go to a Museum of Art, that would be so wonderful to see. Enjoy your week, Mae!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the Matisse. That museum is so lucky. The first balloon animal I saw was at LACMA. The second was at the Chicago Art Institute. Koons has definitely made a name for himself with his balloon animals. Some really fabulous art. Thanks for sharing it with us, Mae.

Debbie at Travel with Intent said...

Looks a great exhibition

Sami said...

A lot of great art. I like the balloon monkey, very unusual sculpture. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Tina said...

You go on some great outings. I wish we had something like this locally.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I love going to museums!!

kwarkito said...

C'est un article très passionnant, au sujet d'artistes que je ne connaissais pas pour la plupart mais dont les travaux me paraissent très intéressants

Jeanie said...

I've wondered about this museum -- it's not that much farther from home to Toledo than Detroit. It looks wonderful and so does this magnificent exhibit.

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

Looks like an awesome museum! I wish I knew someone who liked museums. I don't like going by myself.