Thursday, August 10, 2023

Books and Films

Another Japanese Classic


I read another book by Osamu Dazai titled Otogizōshi: The Fairy Tale Book of Dazai Osamu. Totally fascinating! I must admit that the cover design was partly responsible for my decision of which of this author's books to read next. Isn't it neat? It shows a famous fairy-tale character riding on the back of a sea turtle. Here is the original print.

Urashima Taro Returning Home from the Palace of the Dragon King, 1886.
Yoshitoshi Tsukioka (source: Art Institute of Chicago)

In this collection of stories, Dazai retells several fairy tales that would have been familiar to any Japanese child or anyone who grew up in Japan before or during World War II. While I am completely unfamiliar with these classics, his presentation is complete, so I felt as if I understood him. (Maybe I did, and maybe I didn't.) 

Each of the tales is retold with a great deal of elaboration, explaining the moral of the story, in a way, but actually turning these fairy tale types into psychological and social histories of individualized human beings. As the author interprets each tale, he describes his own thoughts and experiences, living through World War II bombings, as he writes. At the beginning of the last fairy tale in the collection, he explains:

"I’ve been writing these fairy tales little by little in what spare time I’ve had, what with being mobilized for civilian duty and dealing with the post-bombing remains of my house and what have you, and despite a persistent fever, hoping only that they might prove a mild diversion suitable for any moments of leisure afforded those fighting courageously to help Nippon through her national crisis."  (p. 97). 

The foreword of this translation points out that Dazai wrote in a style of "autobiographical or self-referential semi-fiction, known as shishōsetsu, which exerted a powerful hold on many Japanese authors and readers for much of the twentieth century." As I learned a few days ago, his daughter also wrote in this style, as do many more recent Western writers. Very intriguing. 

A Popular French Novel


After participating in the blog event Paris in July, I have mainly switched my focus from France to Japan for the month of August. However, as a Paris in July followup,  Emma, of the blog Words and Peace, who organized Paris in July, sent me her copy of An Astronomer in Love by the very popular French writer Antoine Laurain. I very much enjoyed reading it. 

An Astronomer in Love contains two wonderful and vivid stories, told alternately in brief, beautifully written short chapters. One physical object unites the stories: a beautifully crafted telescope. And one astronomical phenomenon motivates the central characters in the two stories: the Transit of Venus, which is the passage of the planet Venus in front of the sun from the perspective of an observer on earth. The brilliant feature of this novel, in my opinion, is that the two stories are not in the least parallel -- there's no forced connection other than the telescope, the planet Venus, the sun, and in a sense, love. That's all. 

One of the alternating stories is about the efforts of a French astronomer named Guillaume to make accurate observations of the successive transits of Venus in 1761 and 1769; he travels around the world on the very slow ships of his day, and spends almost 12 years on his long and fascinating voyage. In the 18th century, accurate observation of the transit would have contributed to a more exact estimate of the size of the solar system, so the French astronomer was sent with a clear mission. 

Laurain based this story on the actual diaries of the historic person, Guillaume le Gentil, who was the appointed astronomer to King Louis XV of France. A wonderfully told story, it vividly describes many exotic locations in that long-ago era. For example, Laurain describes how Guillaume experiences many remarkable things; among others, he has the opportunity to taste "thousands of fish caught, from Isle de France to the China Sea, fish he had prepared, boiled, eaten, and shellfish too, species that no one in France had cracked open, even in their dreams." (p. 149)

The other story is about a modern Frenchman named Xavier, who somehow comes into possession of Guillaume's original telescope, and then witnesses the transit in 2012. Xavier is a rather ordinary man who lives alone, and often for a meal just eats some cheese, toast, and a tomato -- but in a small parallel, he once is offered a luxury meal, in which a butler offers him "skewers of grilled lobster" as well as the finest of wines.A little parallel tease, maybe?

In the course of the story, Xavier meets the love of his life, a woman named Alice, and they manage to watch the 2012 transit together. And at the end, Guillaume also finds the love of his life, who had been waiting for him for 12 years. Laurain describes the transit as both the 18th and 21st century characters see it. Here's what they saw:

The Transit of Venus, 2012.
(NPR: this source also explains the science involved in the observations.)

The next Transit of Venus will take place in 2117 -- it is a strange and rare event with a rather bizarre 243 year repeating schedule: two transits occur 8 years apart, then there is a more-than-100 year pause, another two close together, and an even longer pause. I remember hearing about the transits that took place in 2004 and 2012. Historic discussions then were focused on another historic figure that made an extraordinary voyage to witness the 18th century transit; that is, the famous Captain James Cook. On his ship the Endeavor, he went to Tahiti for the 1769 event. Unlike the unfortunate French astronomer Guillaume, who missed both of the 18th century transits, Captain Cook did manage to observe the celestial event in 1769.

More Agatha Christie



This is one of Agatha Christie’s paranoid spy stories, which I watched in the 1981 Netflix version that is now available on streaming.. Her spy stories have many of the same features as her murder mysteries, but also a kind of existential fear that Britain is full of sinister plots and evil people. I probably read this years ago but forgot it, or maybe the script writers rejiggered it in some way. But fun to watch, and also full of great period clothing and antique cars.

Reviews © 2023 mae sander.
Shared with bloggers on my favorite weekend blog parties.
 

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Thanks for the reviews. I have to check out the Agatha Christie's book, I have not read The Seven Dials Mystery. Take care, enjoy your day!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

I need to check his one by Dazai as well.
So glad you enjoyed Laurain's.

And guess what, today, got an email form Bloglovin', with list of new posts. Which hasn't happened for MONTHS!
So, as it seemed to be working again, I tried to add your blog through Bloglovin's and it seems it worked, so looks like I can really keep a closer eye on your blog!
Funny that Bloglovin's is coming back to life just when I was wondering how I could follow your blog!

Shiju Sugunan said...

"An Astronomer in Love" sounds interesting. Who can resist the allure of an Agatha Christie spy stories, filled with suspense and the ambiance of a bygone era? Thanks for sharing these engaging literary experiences!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I almost missed the fairy-tale character riding the sea turtle.
Great book reviews, thanks for sharing these books.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Otogizōshi stories are on the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read list, but I haven't read these yet.

We are off to the Alley Theater in Houston this weekend to see an Agatha Christie play. It's a play of the first Agatha I've read---The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Glad you enjoyed the Laurain book.

Mae Travels said...

@Deb — I don’t think Osamu Dazai’s version, which I read, would be at all suitable for children. I suspect that the book on the list for children is a traditional version of the tales.

Tina said...

I've been meaning to get An Astronomer in Love. I'm married to a devoted amateur astronomer and am familiar with the transits, the deep sky objects, Messier objects, etc.

Jeanie said...

I must get An Astronomer in Love to add to my Lurain collection. I love his work.

Seven Dials is on my summer reading list -- although at this point I'll be lucky to get to it in the fall. My copy is one of those small Penguin editions -- 35 cents!

Joy said...

I've noticed that about about the Tommy and Tuppence novels -- more spy thrillers than mysteries with enemies that get categorized as evil in ways that I'm not entirely comfortable with in the 21st century. At least, that was true for The Secret Adversary. I'm reading N or M? right now and it's a little better because it's set in WWII with obvious enemies.

Cindy said...

Nice selection of books! Have a great week!

Vicki said...

I think I'd like An Astronomer in Love the most, but they all sound interesting.

I hope you have a great week!

Terrie said...

I've read Vintage 1954 by Laurain and quite enjoyed it. I'll look for this one too. The Japanese one looks lovely.
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-59

Mark Baker said...

I haven't heard of that Agatha Christie before. I'm curious about it now.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm impressed how you pull all these disparate stories together. This is a lovely review. Now I want to read the Christie novel.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention, I was fascinated by the Transit of Venus. I had NO idea of any of this. I really enjoyed the article from NPR, which put it in perspective.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Love the cover of the Japanese book.

JoAnn said...

I'd select that Japanese book because of its cover, too - gorgeous! An Astronomer in Love sounds good. I've enjoyed a couple Antoine Laurain novels and will add this one to my list. Thanks for the review.

Heather G. said...

Fascinating read with regards to the Japanese fairy tales. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanie said...

You do write the most informative book reviews. I'm especially interested in the Lurain, as I've enjoyed all his other books. I recently put "Seven Dials" in my "read again" pile.