Friday, July 31, 2020

A Quiet Month in My Kitchen

What a quiet month July has been! Here in Michigan, many restaurants and businesses tried to go back to some sort of normal. However Len and I have remained isolated because the coronavirus isn't really disappearing. What's worse: the consequences of contracting the disease are turning out to be more severe and long-lasting than was first believed. So we're still eating every meal at home, having almost all groceries delivered, rarely getting take-out food, and keeping away from even our relatives -- though many people have started going out again. We did invite friends for a distanced outdoor visit once or twice.

But to get to my kitchen, where we are doing our own cooking, still avoiding most beef and pork purchases, still eating little chicken, and not changing much that's been true for the last 3 months. So what can I tell you about? We bought one new thing: a set of storage containers for flour: not interesting enough for a photo. The food we've cooked & eaten this month was not very different from earlier months of lockdown, but here are a few pictures:

Local tomatoes are best... we can't always get them
because safe shopping options are limited.
Pizza dough from Len's sourdough starter.
We defrosted one piece of beef, bought before we swore off.
We grilled it along with sweet potatoes made in the grill pan.
We bought one chicken, which we also grilled.
Len made cinnamon rolls. What a treat!
Pasta with sugar snap peas and herbs.
More vegetarian food: packaged squash ravioli cooked in butter
and sage leaves, served with mushrooms and green salad.
Savory pancakes with fresh garden herbs, a fried egg, and salad --
as usual, these use up the starter discard.

Vegan curry with cauliflower, bell pepper, tomatoes,
potatoes, red lentils. This is becoming one of my go-to recipes.
Carrot, raisin, and lime salad to go with curry.
Blondies: bars made with brown sugar, chocolate chips,
pecans, etc. Hard to get a clear photo!
This is a long-time favorite recipe.
Ciabatta!

What I feel in my kitchen...

In my kitchen, I feel sad. A variety of food news is very depressing (other news too, but that's not for this post). I am very sad for the restaurant owners and for the food-service workers whose livelihoods are so endangered. The restaurant industry before the pandemic was 10% of the work force, so that's a lot of people suffering! I feel sad for the farms that supplied restaurants, I feel sad for the meat packing workers who have repeatedly been forced to work in dangerous contagion (which is why I'm not buying meat), and I feel sad for the workers on fishing boats who have been exposed or infected. I feel sad for the many people who are challenged to put food on the table.

In my kitchen, I feel gratitude, because we have enough to eat, plenty of choices, a variety of food delivery options, friends who bring us food, and many other things to be grateful for. But we are lonely in the kitchen for the friends and relatives who often visit and cook with us or bring food for potluck meals.

We had take-out once during the entire month, and definitely did not go to any restaurants, even to eat outdoors with tables widely separated. Too risky! We virtually never go to bars anyway, so this is a great time to keep staying away from them. A lesson to us: Michigan has the distinction of having suffered a record number of cases at Harper's Bar in Lansing:
"To date, 144 patrons – average age 21 – who visited Harper’s from June 12 to June 20 have tested positive for COVID-19, according to Ingham County Health Director Linda Vail, who said that eight-day span qualified as a 'super spreader' event. Another 44 people caught the virus from those patrons later on, she said." (link)
In sum: my kitchen this July is a lucky place, with summer produce, home-cooked food, Len's great bread and rolls, and our great fortune to have enough to eat. However, it's a sad place, especially thinking of the huge number of people whose lives have been turned upside down by job loss, by poverty, by children out of school, and by disease. I'm sharing this with Sherry at the blog Sherry's Pickings and with the other bloggers who also share their kitchen stories each month.

Blog post © 2020 mae sander for maefood dot blog spot.com

29 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Well, it's still a very tasty July, Mae. Love those sinfully delicious blondies and the ciabatta loaves look great, esp. the crust :-))
This month we ate quite a lot of salads and way too much baked goods...so much more than we should have...need to get back to the track...

Tina said...

Wonderful post, Mae. I love your meals and we too have bene stayiing in excpet to gte the dog out for a walk or occassional ride. Our freezer has chicken, no beef, and it's harder to keep fresh veggies for long. So we do get out for the things you just can't stock up on such as bananas and tomatoes and salad stuff.
It's so dog goned hot here that gardens can't withstand the heat and everything wilts. To my chagrin.

It is sad that people are going hungry, sad the way our country is hurting, the unemployemnt and illness and what upsets me greatly is the outward hate that some people suddenly feel able to express, aloud. WTF.

Oops...got on the soapbox :-)

My name is Erika. said...

I am with you Mae about the virus. I only grocery shop every 10-14 days and this morning was one of those days. The big problem is I go and forget something, even with a list. But your meals look yummy. You are eating well. And Blondies are a favorite in my house and I think once I eat all the blueberry pie I made (hubby won't eat it) it will be time for some blondies. Happy start to your weekend.

Jeanie said...

Your world is much like mine. We haven't eaten out or take out once since March when we locked down. Not even a drive through, although I think Rick had a take-out milkshake on his cycle north. The closest I've been to a grocery is the cherry stand in the Marathon parking lot.

I so relate as to the kitchen being a "lonely place" this year and a sad one in many ways, although I'm very grateful for all I have and feel for those who don't, which is profoundly sad. Normally at the lake we would invite friends to stop by or come for an afternoon or weekend. Not happening. It's distressing, mostly because we really don't know how long it will stay that way.

I'd love to see a photo and more info on your flour cannisters. Will you email?

Iris Flavia said...

That poor chicken made me laugh, oh, and now I crave beer-can-chicken!
Nice idea to add raisins to carrots - I´ll try that.

Yes, here, too. So many places had to shut down, so many work-forces lost...

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I've eaten out, but only where I could sit outside. Those figures for a super spreader event are scary. We are entertaining at home, in a bubble, and socially distanced. Len's cinnamon rolls look so good. Be safe!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought I ate well, but you eat so much better than I ever will. You have lovely meals and they fit my vegetarian lifestyle well.

My kitchen is sad, too. It's hot, it's boring, and it's lonely. The boys are company, but not GOOD company. I long for human companionship. My dear friend Scott shops for me, because I am scared of this disease. He goes to the stores, walks the aisles and I tell him what I need. He always tells me prices, so I'm not surprised. I think that's one reason why I would never try to go through a service. They don't care that I might prefer those day old wheat rolls to the ones fresh out of the oven, or I might want just one banana to a full bunch. That's the joys of a friend who knows me and willing to shop for me.

Loved seeing your choice of meals, and now I'm off to make a pot of much needed coffee.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I read what Tina wrote. When this lockdown first happened, people would walk their dogs by the house and wave. Now no one waves, no seems to care. I saw a shift in attitudes about a month ago. It starts with leadership. I won't add to that.

The VegHog said...

Nice veggie dishes you have there. I also feel very sad for the restaurants and small businesses and hope that many will recover after this difficult period.

Phil Slade said...

I think you summed up the mood of your nation. And our own. The not seeing friends and family in the same way, interacting with others we meet on a daily basis. It is all so sad, reflected in the way we now go about our business alone. Luckily you and I have our wonderful partners and we are able to look after ourselves by shopping minimally and being able to cook.

The young ones now pay the price for living off convenience foods and takeaways. Perhaps some good may come of this?

Tina said...

I honestly CAN spell :-) I saw my comment and realized my fingers were flying on the virtual keyboard. NO spell check, LOL

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
Like you, my husband and I are staying in. I/m also enjoying all the local produce and making more salads. I love all or your meatless dishes ( very inspiring) especially that cauliflower dish! We do not eat out or order in. I do have my older son for dinner on the deck on Friday nights- Somehow without engaging with friends and community, but are still keeping very busy with gardening, online Zoom programs, cooking, blogging, and cleaning closets! Thanks for sharing your kitchen in July- I enjoyed the post.

Rain said...

Hi Mae :) I saw your comment on...someone's blog I can't remember now lol, so I thought I'd check out your blog, and I'm a new follower! :) Your food looks SO good, especially the pizza! Your Len made some nice cinnamon rolls! I have a recipe for squash ravioli but I've never tried it, thanks for the inspiration, I need to try that. My hubby and I are trying to eat more vegetarian meals these days for health mainly. I need to make some ciabatta soon too! :) I was very touched by your feelings of gratitude during this sad situation. Take care.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Everything you made looks delicious.

I also feel so sad for the people who have lost their jobs. Though I don’t eat out a lot, sometimes I want to , just to support a small restaurant. Then again I change my mind because I’m afraid to be in crowds. My city is one of the worst hit cities in Florida and I don’t go out unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Take care, Mae.

Sherry's Pickings said...

it looks like you're eating well at least Mae:). yes things are very sad these days, but we have to keep our spirits up and cooking is how i do it. Victoria (a southern state) is going into curfew from tonight. oh boy it has been really sad down there with such huge stats for cases and deaths. we have been so lucky up here in QLD. take care
cheers
sherry and thanks for being part of IMK again.!

Marg said...

I hear you Mae. We are trying to do takeaway once a week from a local business just to try and help them keep going. We are also trying some new things food wise to try and keep things interesting, but it is getting harder and harder to stay positive.

Shaheen said...

Yes, I think many of our kitchens are quiet at the moment with new things, but we are all still cooking at home and that is comfort. I really enjoyed reading your reflections, esp. around the impact Covid-19 has had on eateries and for the food-service workers whose livelihoods are endangered.One of my nephew works in the hospitality industry. I've already had two family members made redundant.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I agree with everything in your post. My husband and I are incredibly cautious, like you. We haven't been inside a building other than our house in four months. I can't imagine eating in a restaurant right now. I miss my favorite coffee shop the most, I think. I feel sad for what was, but I am hopeful for what is emerging from this time.

I love seeing all of your delicious meals. I hope to try some sourdough next week. It's been almost impossible to get my hands on yeast, though, for starter. I finally got some, and I think I'm going to give sourdough a try.

Your summer vegetables look wonderful, too. Our kale and other vegetables have finally played out in our garden, so I'm buying some from the grocery for the first time this week.

Have a good week!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I'm in Toronto and we just went to stage 3 but it is quite controlled. We never go to bars so that's a non-issue.
I love being in my kitchen, we haven't really seen any shortages since the early days when flour and yeast were hard to find.
We go out a few times a week but wear masks (mandatory) and stay away from people. We have eaten out a few times always on patios where the tables are distanced.
I have friends and family that keep asking about getting together but I'd rather not. Our head health officer Dr DeVilla when asked if it was safe to go to an indoor restaurant tactfully replied that it is summer and the weather is nice eat on a patio.
She also said she wouldn't meet with others for a meal, safer to stay on your own.
I am making sure we are stocked up with everything I can think of, food along with medicinal supplies. We have lots of masks and I have supplies to make more.

Jenn Jilks said...

Our local restaurants have done well adapting. We bought take out every Thursday to support our local people.
I think they will come out on top, as we are opened up, now. We've a lot of tourists who are eating out, too!

Heather G. said...

Yum! Your kitchen cooks up some amazing food! We try to keep inside and not go out much. It's risky right now. So I'm happy to see you can cook up some restaurant-quality dishes in your own home! Stay safe and I hope you have a great week!

Divers and Sundry said...

There are such mixed feelings these days! Your food choices look delicious, and you're enjoying a nice variety.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Your food dishes all look so appealing. We love blondies but I haven't had them for a long time. Good idea. We are heading out on a trip and they would travel well, I think. Please join me for some good news of the week

Laurie C said...

We’ve started going in the wrong direction in the Northeast US, but people have relaxed way too much about social distancing! I work in a library building with no fresh air, just air conditioning, and I don’t 100% trust all my coworkers to be taking the same level of precautions that I am. It’s very stressful, and now we’re going to be open on a limited basis to the public. All your food looks great! I’ve been leaning vegetarian again, but my husband isn’t there yet.

Debra Eliotseats said...

That's a mighty lot of really good food, Mae. That ravioli dish looks especially good to me. I agree with all of your points. Strange times, to say the least, and who knows? I'm afraid this is the new abnormal.

francesca said...

On and on it goes. Your summary of who is affected- the poor, those who work in essential industries, health workers, meat and chicken processors, cleaners and so on- these folk are at the front line running the show, keeping the supermarkets open, the shelves stocked, the hospitals running. Being older, we might be more susceptible to this virus, but we also have some safety in that we don't need to go 'out there'. Good to hear that you have given up meat for the time being. The meat and chicken processing industries are about to undergo sweeping changes here in Melbourne- with a reduction in staffing and output. I've already noticed, through social media, the insane swoop on meat products from the shelves. Disturbing and disgusting. As we go into stage 4 here, with most businesses now closing and night curfews from 8 pm to 5 am, as well as compulsory mask wearing, I am confident that our recent second wave will reduce. Things look horrific in the US, really disturbing. It's good to know that you have a very sensible routine in place, Mae, and your cooking looks healthy and delicious.

dreams of sourdough said...

That chicken looks like it's waving with a drink! Sorry to read about the sadness that pervades all our Lives at the moment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with honesty and gratitude. Your veg dishes look fantastic too!

unpodipepe.ca said...

Hi Mae. It is a sad and difficult time. I hope things improve in the US soon. Stay safe, Cristina

Johanna GGG said...

Hi Mae - your kitchen does look wonderful - there is a lot of talk about sourdough but I think it is great in the pandemic - and your meals look great - that curry and the pancake meal - wow! It sounds terrible in USA - I too miss seeing my family but I am lucky to have a workplace that is good at keeping in touch. But I really miss going out to eat - even though I didn't feel I did it that much before covid19. But I also miss food being part of social events.