Saturday, July 11, 2020

Ann Arbor Murals



I'm not going very far from home these days -- you probably are not traveling much either. A few days ago, I did manage to drive around Ann Arbor and find one or two murals that I've never photographed before. The first one, above, is on a busy corner facing a parking lot downtown -- the colors are vibrant and I like the geometric style.

Stepping back, you can see how the mural is placed on the building.

Under the Bridge

When I saw this news photo of a truck stuck under a RR bridge, I decided to go
see the mural on the supporting wall. I guess the truck is just over 10' 6" high!
I don't know how it was rescued -- the article says "crews freed the truck."

I located the RR bridge last week, and took this picture of the whole mural that's just
visible in the news photo. It took me months to visit there! The news article is from March 11.
A detail of the mural under the bridge.
The companion mural on the other side of the street.
Blog post © copyright mae sander 2020

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I think nobody goes far these days. Nice murals, I especially like the first one with geometric shapes and tangy colours. have a great weekend, Valerie

Jeanie said...

I like them both. Good pix of the one under the bridge. Now that would be a mess -- getting stuck!

Angie's Recipes said...

The first one with vibrant colour and geometric shapes is my favourite. Enjoy your weekend and summer, Mae!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really like the first one, but the ones under the bridge seem a bit surreal to me.

Phil Slade said...

I rather feel sorry for the driver of that truck. It was a mistake I know but he will never live it down with his workmates.

Bill said...

Cool murals. I never heard of a truck getting stuck under a bridge. I bet that was a popular story in the news. Enjoy your weekend!

Linda said...

I used to live near an underpass and trucks kept getting stuck, even though there were warning signs. Sometimes it was adequate to let a little air out of the tires.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

It's amazing how empty the parking lot is. They would have probably let the air out of the tyres to lower the truck. One wonders how they get stuck when they know the height of their trucks, or at least should know that.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy. Love the first one but really do wonder about that truck. How can that happen?? What are the consequences? He .. or she?... must´ve learned... nude-drawing for truck drivers required!!
(Studying architecture we had nude-drawing to learn how much space a person needs. Now... nude trucks we need! hmmm, "sexy"...?)

Mae Travels said...

About the empty parking lot in front of the mural: the businesses in the building are closed on Sunday, so I went there last Sunday to take the photos from a better angle. On weekdays it's harder to get a good look.

About nude garbage trucks: Ha Ha.

Bertiebo said...

Cool!

Iris Flavia said...

Reminds me of a former landlord who went through all our garbage, knew whom it was and went to our neighbour to tell her off for not sorting correctly.
Hmmm. The garbage sure was nude.
He also rang at our door to tell Ingo he´d parked 30 cm too close to the front.
Did I mention "former"? We moved out.

Sami said...

I specially like the first mural Mae, lovely colours too.
We have a low bridge here in Perth and I remember at least 3 trucks getting stuck there in the last 10 years or so. Works are finally under way to lift the bridge :)
Thanks for contributing Mae

s.c said...

Nice mural with a great story to tell. I like it.

Klara said...

some friendly and some not so friendly characters on those walls.
I have witnessed one or two stuck trucks under our bridges. ;-)