Saturday, July 18, 2020

On the River

At Gallup Park, the Huron River is very wide: a good place for crew practice.
Far upstream, at another park along the river, we saw these
fishermen in their waders. You are warned not to eat the fish!
Our kayak is small, but it has allowed us to enjoy a bit of fun paddling on the Huron River at various spots where the current is mild, and it’s not too hard to go both upstream and downstream. Truth be told, Len does most of the paddling. Some time I’ll manage to get a photo that includes the kayak, but I don’t like to take along a camera for fear I’ll drop it in the river.

We did stop a moment the other day to take a photo — with Len’s iPhone. You can see the boathouse for the crew team of Skyline High School with an impressive mural of a raptor. As we paddled around, we also saw the crew members practicing in single or double skiffs — keeping their distance from one another, of course. The crew teams for the other local high schools have boathouses elsewhere on the river.

  Blog post © 2020 mae sander.

15 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Nice photos.

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't kayaked yet this year so I love seeing your photos. Very pretty!

kwarkito said...

looks like a good place to paddle and keep safety distances

Jeanie said...

I know what you mean about taking a camera in a kayak (or canoe or low sailboat or anything else that could tip.) But the photos are nice.

Angie's Recipes said...

That's really nice :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Same here - wearing glasses... glad you "braved up"!

Bill said...

Nice photos, it must be a nice time out on the river.
Take care and stay safe!

Eva Taylor said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, nice to meet you. It has been a lovely hot summer so a day of paddling sounds awesome.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It was great to see the photos and the mural. I agree that taking a camera on the water has its challenges. I'd be a bit worried, too.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

It looks so peaceful, and the perfect place to get some exercise. I would also be afraid of dropping the camera into the water.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Kayaking sounds fun.
I am afraid to go kayaking because I cannot swim. 😁

Bertiebo said...

Must be great to paddle around there

Nancy Chan said...

I think it is fun paddling in a kayak especially when the water is calm. Have a great new week.

Sami said...

Looks like a nice spot to relax Mae. I too would be worried about taking my camera on the water.
Thanks for participating in Monday Mural.

Linda said...

Looks like a nice place. I like that mural; it looks like an eagle.