Sunday, April 30, 2023

In My Kitchen in April

Two new dragon eggs, just starting to hatch. Evelyn’s latest creations.
I’m starting my kitchen wrap-up with these great ceramics though they are actually in the living room!

What’s new in my kitchen in April?

Magnets from my visits to the African American History Museum and Mount Vernon: American Heroes.
George and Martha Washington, Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, and Martin Luther King.
Also magnets from Lancaster and Longwood Gardens: everywhere we went in April.

One of two small bowls Evelyn made.

Inside our new kitchen cabinet.

A new rack for skillet  lids and a new insert that
makes our biggest pot into a steamer.

New ceramic-clad skillet (as Consumers’ Reports recommends).
In the skillet: salmon croquettes.

Ever-Green Vietnamese by Andrea Nguyen.
Newly published cookbook! We hope it re-energizes our
vegetable-focused cooking efforts.

New storage containers in place of the repurposed cookie
boxes I’ve been using. Recommended by the NYT (link)

From our kitchen: food and drinks

Mushrooms in red wine with new potatoes. A great non-meat dish!

Mushrooms cooking in our new ceramic-clad skillet.

Asian shrimp, bok choi, and rice. And some nice wine.

Kung-pao chicken. Another dish from Len’s Asian recipe adventures.

A leg of lamb ready for the oven, coated with mustard sauce and rosemary leaves. Our favorite roast!
This is Julia Child’s recipe from the original Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
The lamb and broccoli were served at our Passover dinner.

West-Indian lamb curry. Using lamb from the leg of lamb in the previous photo.

Steamed eggs made in the new steamer. The recipe comes from Fuchsia Dunlop’s cookbook.

Vegetarian baked spaghetti with cheese/crumb topping.



Drinking: LaCroix from Costco.

In Carol's Kitchen

Carol's Indian chicken (from a Madhur Jaffrey cookbook), Jason's spinach paneer, and Carol's rice.
Good food for a family celebration of a cousin's graduation.

Celebrating a Michigan graduation: the father of the graduate made an unbelievable mousse cake
decorated with the Michigan "M."

Before the cake was cut.

Recycling and Composting in my Kitchen

Kitchen garbage such as fruit and vegetable parings, coffee grounds, and bones can be placed in
compostable bags (like the one in the photo) and collected with garden waste. Now that our weekly
compost collection has resumed this spring, we are trying to comply with local garbage rules..

MOTIVATION: “In the U.S., food waste is responsible for nearly 3 percent of the country’s emissions, according to the EPA—and that’s before considering the methane that leaks from landfills, where food waste is the single largest category of material that gets dumped. Diverting even some of that waste is a win for everyone involved, and more cities across the U.S. are at least trying to persuade people to separate their scraps from their trash.” (source)

We also respect the recycling rules!

Cans and bottles in Michigan have a deposit
of 10¢ — a very good law!

In my kitchen retrospective, which I publish on the last day of each month, I try to select an issue of importance to me and to society. April, is a celebration of the Earth, with Earth Day and all, so I’ve chosen to highlight my efforts to handle kitchen waste responsibly. Fortunately, Ann Arbor, where I live, has very enlightened trash disposal practices, and allows composting and recycling where possible.

Blog post & photos © 2023 mae sander
Shared with Sherry at her monthly blog party In My Kitchen.


18 comments:

dancewme said...

Wow, so much food. Makes me want to travel and explore. I wasn't one for mushrooms in the past but they are growing on me. thanks for sharing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,

Your meals all look delicious. I would especially love the mushrooms with the potatoes and the mousse cake. YUM! Your kitchen and cabinet looks great, very organized. Our fridge has lots of magnets, some from our travels. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week.

Cloudia said...

I know a young boy, 15 years old who started his own non-profit to recycle bottles and cans to make college scholarships for other kids! We are giving out two $10,000 scholarships next month! It is called bottles5college

Cindy said...

Great post, thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog earlier.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The compostable bags to be collected with law and garden waste are such a great idea. Wish the places where we live would do that. We don’t garden (or have space for one any longer) …this would make composting doable for us once again. …your food looks so good as always and your kitchen perfectly photo worthy.

Sherry's Pickings said...

wow a very comprehensive and interesting post Mae! Love the dragons' eggs, and the ceramic bowl. I must look into a ceramic skillet; I need a new one. Yes to mushrooms! So hearty and delish. And that M cake looks the biz. Yes I am glad we have the 10 cent thing too in our State. And our Council provides green caddies for food waste which gets composted and given to farmers. Well they probably pay something for it:) Thanks once again for being part of IMK.
cheers
sherry

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great that you are recycling and keeping everything (food waste and recyclables) separate. I have three compost piles. I rotate them over three years, that way I don't feel obligated to turn them. If I had the approximately $450 extra dollars, I would buy a Lomi. I've never seen those green composting bags before.

You had some wonderful meals and I LOVE all your magnets, a favorite of mine when I travel.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great post from start to finish, Mae. Your kitchen is so well organized and immaculately clean. And every dish looks mouth-wateringly fantastic!

Jeanie said...

You have some really nice new kitchen things! That lid container is a great idea -- wish I had room for one. And that mushroom dish looks extra fantastic. Oh, it all does. (Evelyn's bowl is lovely!)

Vagabonde said...

You have a nice kitchen for cooking your gourmet meals. I like your new skillet and mostly all your dishes that look so appetizing. You asked about my eggplant dish – I did not make it yet because the eggplants at the store did not look good. Instead I am making choucroute à l’alsacienne today (and that will last 3+ days.) Then I bought some corned beef that I have to use before next week, and that will last until I go back to GA end of next week. It’s nice to cook for family and occasions, but when one is alone (and my cat refuses to eat anything by dry cat food) it’s too much trouble to cook fancy dishes. I also love your new kitchen closet, so neat and tidy.

Slabs said...

WOW - Love that mushroom meal dish you have there. Just bought mushrooms this morning
I visited you via In my Kitchen
If you are not already part of SSPS, this is a personal invite to hop over and come and share your posts with us at Senior Salon Pit Stop, every Monday to Saturday.
See my entry: 3 and then navigate to the bottom of my page for the Senior Salon Pit Stop linkup, we hope to meet you there virtually.

Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid said...

So much deliciousness in your kitchen - I especially love the idea of the mushrooms in red wine, what a great alternative to a meaty main!
www.theannoyedthyroid.com

thecuecard said...

We too recycle as much as possible here & much food waste too. That M on the cake is very good!

Unknown said...

I thought for a while about those dragon eggs and how she made them, somehow I thought they were actually going to hatch soon! Then I realised they were static :) Silly me! I love the mushroom dish too, it looks really rich and yummy

sending you love , Nancy at http://ayearindarwin.blogspot.com/

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Evelyn's ceramics are lovely. And your new cupboard looks great. I find the lid stand very useful. We have great recycling where we live. And in Italy where we are now they also do organic waste recycling.

Marg said...

We love collecting magnets from places we visit. The problem we have now is too many magnets so we are talking about how we can still display them all!

That chocolate mousse cake looks amazing! As does everything else.

Mae Travels said...

@Marg -- at a certain point our fridge was COVERED with magnets, and it was messy looking. Now I buy a few magnets on each trip and replace the previous trip's magnets with the new ones. The old ones are in a box. Problem solved!

mae

Liz said...

I love the organization in your new pantry. And you have had so many wonderful meals in the past few weeks. Food waste is a problem, my worm bins love any trimmings, or coffee grounds, or going off vegetables.