Thursday, April 27, 2023

Bao Space: A Very Pleasant Restaurant


"Northern Chinese street food has hit N. Main St. in the form of the steamed, stuffed buns known as baos. Following a lunchtime soft opening during December, Jessie Zhu’s Bao Space launched in early January .... At six to eight dollars a pair, the fist-sized buns are an affordable addition to the city’s ethnically diverse dining scene." (Ann Arbor Observer)

We found this rather new restaurant in Ann Arbor quite delightful. The food is delicious and light, and the dining space is very informal and pleasant -- just a few tables! On the walls are paintings of food, such as a steamer with bao, a tea pot, a bowl of soup, or other Chinese foods. 


Here's a link to the menu: Bao Space. We tried three items for lunch: pork bao buns, vegetarian bao buns, and fried dumplings. All very very good!

From the menu: an image of the dumplings we tried:


And an image of the owner's hands making the bao:




 

Blog post © 2023 mae sander

8 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

These bao buns look delightfully yummy. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

These bao buns look delightfully yummy. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I wish I liked Chinese more but those buns look great. (Gyoza are good, too -- hopefully they have them there.)

Can't figure it out -- love Thai and Japanese food...

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oh, yes, these look both delicious and beautiful.

I wonder if I could try making them at home...

eileeninmd said...

The Bao Buns looks yummy, I like food paintings on the restaurant's walls.
Have a great day!

Lori said...

The food looks delicious and I love the artwork.

anno said...

Yum! These look wonderful!
Now, if only they'd bring back the curried beef buns that Eastern Accents used to make...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Beautiful bao buns. I would love to try the veggie and shrimp buns.

You were right about the temple but it was because I failed to complete the sentences. Somehow, either I accidentally deleted them, or I never got them finished, because the piece I wrote about the temple was definitely incomplete. What I MEANT to write was there were TWO temples that guarded the entrance to the city, but one was destroyed, leaving only the east temple still standing. It is the one with the 5 story pagoda shown in the photo. I have edited the wording to write what I originally intended to write. Maybe it will make more sense now. I hope you will have a chance to go back and see what I had INTENDED to share before.