Sunday, April 09, 2023

Mount Vernon

On Easter, we visited George Washington’s famous estate, Mount Vernon, including the Mansion,
the gardens, the out buildings, and a large museum. In this post I’ll concentrate on the Mansion.
Washington was a very wealthy landowner and farmer, and only a small part of his land is included in the monument here.


The Mansion, as it’s called on all the guideposts, is a lovely 18th century house.
Many of today’s McMansions are larger than it is, and have fancier bathrooms.
In fact, we didn’t see any bathrooms at all. They did things differently back then.

In the visitor center, I was delighted to see a miniature version of the mansion.

I enjoyed getting a sense of Washington’s life, such as this desk that he used (maybe).
The house belonged to the family for at least 50 years after his and Martha’s death before becoming a monument.

In addition to visiting the Mansion, we walked around the grounds where there are many buildings showing the 18th century farming practices, particularly Washington’s innovations in farming. The tomb of George and Martha Washington and some of their relatives is also on the grounds, along with a memorial to the enslaved people who worked there and were buried there in now-unmarked graves. Finally, we toured the museum, which documents the life of Washington and his remarkable accomplishments, as well as the history of the wars and political events of his lifetime.

The Dining Room


Washington, the docents told us, loved this verdigris-green color.
It was very popular at the time.
Here’s the open-sided model of the dining room in the miniature version.



Food is included. but the crowds of people had to file quickly past everything so we didn’t learn about it.

I think these were jugs that held wine. Also visible in the mini dining room.

Other Rooms at Mount Vernon


The Master Bedroom: the room in which George Washington died.

In the mansion, one of the many other bedrooms, mainly for guests.

A miniature room.

The hearth in the kitchen, which is outside the main house.

The work table in the kitchen. The documentation acknowledges that most of the labor was 
performed by the more than 300 enslaved people at Mount Vernon.

And there’s so much more…

In the museum are many re-creations.
This full-sized model shows Washington on one of his favorite horses.

Blog post © 2023 mae sander



11 comments:

thathappyreader said...

Love seeing these photos! So interesting! Happy Easter!

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful tour! I have never been there, even though it is not too far away from us. I like the miniature mansion. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

My name is Erika. said...

Mount Vernon is a wonderful place to visit. I remember Washington's love of green because it's one of my favorite colors too. Thanks for the good memories from when I visited. Happy new week Mae. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like how you interspersed photos of the actual house with those of the miniatures. That green on the walls in the dining room clashed with the gorgeous cobalt blue table items. I thoroughly enjoyed your take on the tour, dear Mae.

Buttercup said...

Wonderful photographs, and what a beautiful day to visit. Enjoyed your photos of D.C. too.

Linda said...

It’s been years since I’ve visited Mount Vernon. I grew up on some of George Washington’s land.

Helen's Book Blog said...

The DC area in spring is such a wonderful area to visit. What a fun way to spend the Easter weekend.

sjhigbee said...

What a lovely house - it's fascinating to see how the great and the good lived in the US at the time, compared to those in the UK. Thank you for a great series of photos that give a real feel of your experience. And I hope you have a lovely week, Mae:).

thecuecard said...

Ohh loved the virtual tour. The wall colors are much brighter than I would have thought. That green! From Arlington, I used to bike the path to Mount Vernon and back when I lived there ... and it was quite a ride. I'd turn around at the Mansion parking lot. George had a good spot & view along the Potomac.

Vagabonde said...

I really enjoyed this tour of the Mount Vernon mansion. I’ll have to tell my daughter that the green she had her bedroom painted in her new house is very old…it’s the same green as the dining room in the mansion. As you may have seen in my blog I love to visit historic houses. This one must be so interesting and visiting it on a lovely sunny day is even better. There is a mansion in Nashville; it’s called The Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson. But I refuse to visit it because he was the one who forced the Cherokees on the trail of tears.

Jeanie said...

I love this. It's a home that could stand on its own decor-wise today (well, with a bathroom or two!). I love that it wasn't pretentious, just very gracious. I've always wanted to visit here -- this is lovely.