Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Dining in Fairfax

Two Delicious Lunches

Sisters Thai in downtown Fairfax is a family favorite. The spring rolls were really crispy!
The Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles were nice, but we wished we had ordered them more spicy.
 
Mamma Chang’s in Fairfax is very popular and admired, especially for this special bubble pancake.
which is served very hot and is hollow inside. We also tried a numbing and very spicy dish made with Szechuan peppercorns.



We enjoyed this creamy dessert. In the background you cans see that we
also ordered some rice pastry with brown sugar syrup.

Breakfast at Evelyn’s


Good coffee and juice.

Shopping at H-Mart

There’s no H-Mart anywhere near our home, so we spent some time looking for ingredients for our current
efforts at making Asian recipes. We found several of our target condiments.

The incredible variety of vegetables (like these radishes) is impressive.




There are many types of mushrooms at very good prices.

The many varieties of soy sauce and related sauces are also overwhelming!

While enjoying myself on this lovely trip to visit relatives,  I’m not forgetting that our country is in danger of losing many of our rights and freedoms. Our laws are being designed to viciously deny many citizens the dignity of enough to eat and a decent place to live. 

Justin J. Pearson, a legislator who was expelled from the Tennessee house of representatives for protesting lax gun laws (and also for his race) summarized the current situation in a New York Times Op Ed. If you haven’t read it here’s the key paragraph:

“Besides expanding already expansive gun rights, Republican-led statehouses across the country are proposing and passing staggering numbers of bills that serve a fringe, white evangelical agenda that abrogates the rights and freedoms of the rest of us. They’re passing legislation to control the intellectual freedom of writers and educators, proposing laws that would restrict the bodily autonomy of transgender children and people who can become pregnant, and curtailing even our right to vote. Combined with a shrinking social safety net as people lose access to resources to meet basic healthhousing and food needs, we have a nation in pain and peril.”

Blog post and photos © mae sander 2023

10 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a shocking story about the two black reps. Yes, I agree. I don't know why there is the rush to go back to Puritan ways.

Lori said...

H Mart looks amazing. I just read Crying in H Mart and loved it so it was great to see it in pictures. I sure wish we had something like that closer to us. The veg selection is impressive.
I think our country and actually the world as a whole is in serious trouble. It is all very unsettling.

Jeanie said...

You don't have to convince me to come along next time you eat! Fabulous. As for the TN thing -- an embarrassment and travesty for our country. But I loved watching their locals reinstate them!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Greetings from Phuket Thailand! I couldn't resist the opportunity to stop by whilst you are enjoying Thai food to say hi. I'm impressed you wanted more spicy I spend my entire life saying tourist spicy only, please!
Wishing you a spicy week!
Wren xPS I'm sorry for the state of much going on across the globe too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The spring rolls look especially delicious. I have never heard of H Mart, but it is impressive. Somehow I doubt many who you refer to as being food insecure could ever shop in one of those stores.

I somehow doubt a person who lives on $40.00/month food allowance is going to pay $6.00 for a container of mushrooms. What is inexpensive to some is excessive to others. I have two friends I keep in contact with, one of whom lives on $40.00/month and the other spends $55.00/month for groceries. I was at the grocery store today and bought next to nothing and spent $38.00. I don't see how these two women do it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention how happy I was to read that both Jones and Pearson have been reinstated. The TN GOP really shot their own foot when they made such a big deal over something that should have been no more than a peaceful protest and a possible reprimand. I like what Jones said about they (GOP) think the People's house is THEIR house.

Valerie-Jael said...

The political situation gets worse and worse and their narrow minded views on what should be allowed or not is really a travesty of justice. Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Some have it all and others...
With a chronically sick man I cannot eat out but I´m on holiday and likely will check out the new Mexican for lunch tomorrow (wish me warmer temps, please!).

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I have to try to get my hubby to eat some new different food, I would like Thai! The market looks great, a great selection of everything. These mass shootings are scary, along with the crazy politicians that won't do anything about it. Take care , have a great day!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm hoping to learn a lot about how to advocate for our intellectual freedoms when I attend the Texas Library Association Conference next week. As a retired librarian, I may be able to take actions that working librarians may be reluctant to take.