Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Spatulas

Is this a lot of spatulas? Believe it or not, I have more than I showed here..

A spatula is an essential kitchen tool, as everyone knows. They come in a number of shapes and sizes, with variations in size, in the form of the handle, and in the design of the turning surface. Metal spatulas are best because the thin edge of the blade easily slips under whatever you are turning or lifting. They are perfect if your hamburger or your frying egg has slightly adhered to the cooking surface, or if your cookies have cooled a bit and are stuck to the cookie sheet. BUT if your frying pan or cookie sheet is treated with a no-stick surface, the metal will scratch, and you’ll regret it. Non-stick spatulas are often too thick to slide under a delicate egg with a still-soft yolk, or whatever.

I once had the perfect non-stick spatula but it wore out. I have bought many replacements, never perfect. My latest one was recommended in a spatula review. (There are MANY spatula reviews in places like Wirecutter from the New York Times, New York Magazine, or in The Spruce Eats, which recommended this one recently. And I bought it:



 

Why is it called a spatula?

Besides finding spatulas irresistible, I also love the word spatula. It’s such a weird-sounding word. In an article titled “5 Things You Didn’t Know About Spatulas” I learned that the derivation is from a Greek and Latin term for a long, broad sword. The word was “first used in the early 16th century to refer to a range of implements with broad, flat blades used not only in cooking, but also in medicine (i.e. a tool to spread ointments), and masonry (i.e. a tool to spread or mix solutions).” Though the word was invented then, similar tools had been made and used since the beginning of the iron age, when technology enabled their manufacture. Other words derived from the same Greek/Latin root are spade, spay, and the fencing term épée. (source)

Weird Al Yankovitch once created a fake ad for a warehouse outlet called “Spatula City” with thousands of types of spatulas. Too bad it’s fake, I could fill my whole kitchen! 

Blog post © 2022 mae sander.


9 comments:

Kitchen Riffs said...

I've always liked that word too! And I have way too many. Really interesting (and fun!) post -- thanks.

Kitchen Riffs said...

I've always liked that word too! And I have way too many. :-) Interesting (and fun!) post. Thanks.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I am not sure there is such a thing as too many spatulas! I might not have quite as many as you do, but I am pretty close.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

How well does your new one work? Dave has several he likes, which I don't. But together we don't have nearly as many as you do.

eileeninmd said...

I have a good selection of spatulas, the spatula is an essential kitchen tool.
Take care, have a happy day!

jama said...

Fun and interesting post! Yes, spatula is a great word. Love your collection -- just so happens I also have your "new" one (also purchased after reading reviews). Haven't used it as much as my old worn out nonstick -- it's a little thicker but may be good for some things.

Jeanie said...

I love that word! It has panache! And I, too, have quite the selection of spatulas. (We had a "discussion" on if a turner was also a spatula or just a turner. In my book, they are all variations of the same!)

Iris Flavia said...

It is a funny word, indeed.
I have a wooden one with a face :-)
And a plastic one... Sadly none that is thin!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a lot of spatulas!
Neat research.