Saturday, September 03, 2022

Regrets about The Ink Black Heart by J.K.Rowling

 

The newest Cormoran Strike detective novel by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym of J.K.Rowling) is The Ink Black Heart. I didn't like it at all. I forced myself to read all 1278 tedious pages, including endless quotations of complicated online interchanges between fictitious avatars in an online game and on Twitter. These were reproduced in minuscule typefaces that had to be enlarged in painful ways on my Kindle reader. Obviously, I don't know if the hardcopy version of the book was easier to read. 

I'm really not inclined to write much about this book. It's the sixth in a series of which I liked the first four, with reservations about one that was too violent. What I wrote about the fifth book, in a review titled A Very Long Book, wasn't very positive: I mentioned my sense that Troubled Blood, book number five, was much too long and involved. 

I liked The Ink Black Heart even less, and the plot and characters -- while sometimes pretty well-portrayed -- are really getting less interesting than in the earlier books. The long relationship of the two main characters, Cormoran Strike and his detective agency partner Robin Ellacot continues throughout this book. After five years they are still pretty much in the same place they started, and at this point I am losing patience and losing interest.

I suspect that many of the situations, character flaws, bad motives, pettiness, internet trolling, male chauvinism and violence, name-calling, nastiness, and other similar parts of the novel are payback for the internet abuse that J.K.Rowling has recently endured. I do feel sorry for her for being castigated in such nasty ways, but I didn't really want to share all this agony. 

I haven't read any reviews of this novel, so I don't know if anyone else shares my chagrin at missing the humor, skillful observation of human relations, great characterizations, and overall delightfulness of J.K.Rowling at her best.

Review © 2022 mae sander

13 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am certain this is very disappointing for many people.

I will never read 1278 tedious pages of a book that isn't working for me. Thank you for saving others the trouble.

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the review. I just downloaded the second book in this series.
take care, have a happy weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't read this series. Somehow JK Rowling did all her best writing with Harry Potter. I did try to read a couple of her other books and didn't get too far. Boy this one is long! Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

I haven't read any of this series, and after your review I think I won't! Have a great weekend, Valerie

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I'm amazed you persevered. I would not have bothered. I tend to give books a fair chance and if I'm not enjoying them, choose another.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never read a thing by Rowling, including the Harry Potter series. Sorry it was so tedious for you, and I am sure I will never pick up any of her books ever.

Divers and Sundry said...

We are fans of the Harry Potter books and movies, but I haven't been interested in her newer books. I think it's odd how she behaves online if she can't handle the blow-back, but then I don't tend to notice authors' online or personal lives. That I know about her issues goes to show, I think, how much that has overshadowed her writing. It's a shame imo.

AnneKristy said...

Whew. That's a lot of pages to read. You are disciplined to keep reading it. Thanks so much for stopping by to leave a comment at Impressions in Ink. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Terrie said...

I gave up after the third book. The relationship between the two wasn't going anywhere and I can only take so much 'attraction tension'. Enough already! And the plots were getting increasingly lengthy and complicated. Nope. I moved on to Louise Penny and her Gamache series and it's stellar - no comparison. And not an oversized book in sight! Try her if you haven't yet. Good review.
Thanks for the visit.
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

Sherry's Pickings said...

i've never thought much of JK Rowling's writing to be honest. I think somehow she just lucked into the zeitgeist at the right time when she wrote Harry Potter! This one sounds dreadful! and waaaaay too long. my old brain can't cope with long stuff anymore :)

Tina said...

I had reservations about this book when I read about the tiny font and conversation exchanges via social media. My husband and I do the ocassional "book club of two" where we read the same author. Both of us were looking forward to this....until the reviews.

Instead of purchaing the kindle version so we could both share I opted to request the library loan. Thinknning about just canceliing it now. I am a big Potterfan and liked the books very much but this series....oh well.

Terrie said...

I only made it through the first 3 books and lost interest. Glad to hear I made the right decision. There are so many other well written, entertaining books out there! :)
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

Unknown said...

I've really enjoyed all the Galbraith books but found Ink Black Heart too long, too involved and after reading 40% zipped through to the end to see whodunnit. That was a week ago and already I can't remember! And I don't care.