Friday, September 17, 2021

My Sister’s Superb Apple Pie


Apple-Pie And Cheese

By Eugene Field (1850-1895)

Full many a sinful notion 
Conceived of foreign powers 
Has come across the ocean 
To harm this land of ours; 
And heresies called fashions 
Have modesty effaced, 
And baleful, morbid passions 
Corrupt our native taste. 
O tempora! O mores! 
What profanations these

That seek to dim the glories 
Of apple-pie and cheese! 



Though ribalds may decry 'em, 
For these twin boons we stand, 
Partaking thrice per diem 
Of their fulness out of hand; 
No enervating fashion 
Shall cheat us of our right 
To gratify our passion 
With a mouthful at a bite! 
We'll cut it square or bias, 
Or any way we please, 
And faith shall justify us 
When we carve our pie and cheese


De gustibus, 't is stated, 
Non disputandum est. 
Which meaneth, when translated, 
That all is for the best. 
So let the foolish choose 'em 
The vapid sweets of sin, 
I will not disabuse 'em 
Of the heresy they're in; 
But I, when I undress me 
Each night, upon my knees 
Will ask the Lord to bless me 
With apple-pie and cheese!


My sister and her husband are visiting us. This morning, she baked us a marvelous apple pie, with apples she picked herself at an orchard near her home in Indiana. She also showed us this great poem by Eugene Field — who, like us, was from St.Louis. The pie also reminded me of our late and much mourned friend Charlie, who once said “apple pie without the cheese is like a hug without the squeeze.”

Here are the four of us, as seen from our drone flying above us.

Photos © 2021 mae and len sander.



15 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I went picking last Sunday and a pie is in my near future too. Love the poem!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love the look of that apple pie and that poem added just the right amount of spice to accompany your photos. LOVE this.

DVArtist said...

This is a lovely post. So nice to see family.

R's Rue said...

Love everything about this. So joyful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I've seen apple pie with cheese twice this week which sounds like a hint I should take. Enjoy the visit!

Tina said...

That is one fine looking apple pie. Haven't had it with cheese since I lived in Pennsylvania. Neat drone shot!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a fabulous looking pie. I never had cheese with pie but it sounds good and I like the quote.

thecuecard said...

Good Apple pie is like a killer of goodness. Your sister's seems pretty awesome.

Marg said...

Love the poem and the pie looks amazing! I don't think I have ever had an apple pie with cheese!

Divers and Sundry said...

That pie looks delicious. I'm more of an ice cream rather than cheese on top gal, but I love that quote.

Jeanie said...

Your sister's presentation is as lovely as yours -- and looks as delicious!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Lovely post, and what a beautiful pie! Enjoy your visit!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Picked up apples this morning from an orchard near us!

Beth F said...

Love apple season

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Beautiful pie. I love apple pie (all pies, really) but I've never eaten it with cheese. (I never even knew that was a thing.)