Thursday, January 28, 2010

Another Literary Death


I am still feeling sad for Robert B. Parker, and reread Night Passage, the first Jesse Stone detective novel. In it I found a wonderful passage about the food at a yacht club buffet attended by the unsavory town fathers of Paradise, MA -- including "a large molded salad made of lime Jell-O and cabbage; pigs in a blanket; goldfish crackers; ... Ritz crackers..." and lots more including a bowl of "Nuts and Bolts" which is salted cereal bits mixed with pretzels and peanuts.

But my memories of Parker have to be put on the back burner. I just found that J.D.Salinger has died at the age of 91, having been a recluse for close to 60 years. I still have my original-cover paperback of The Catcher in the Rye, which I read in junior high at the recommendation of a neighbor, Mrs. Rosen, who always suggested and loaned me books that no one else would share.

The New York Times has evidently been polishing his obit for years: it's very long and very very complete. See

J. D. Salinger, Literary Recluse, Dies at 91

1 comment:

Cynthia Bertelsen said...

I lost my dog-eared copy of "Catcher" some time ago, and will probably have to buy another one shortly.

A recluse for 60 years ... that's amazing. I knew he withdrew, but didn't know it was for so long.

The passing of a great writer who simply said, "No" to celebrity. Now that's character for you.