Sunday, December 31, 2023

In My Oven and on the Stove in December

First, I wish everyone a very pleasant New Year’s Eve 
and a wonderful year in 2024.

Here are some photos of cooking in my kitchen this December, to be shared with Sherry’s In My Kitchen for the end of the year. Of note this month is the way I’ve been exploring so many books set in France: two mysteries set in Brittany, books about the Paris metro and the Seine River, and at last, Bruno’s Cookbook by Martin Walker. It’s been fun. I have no idea if this obsession will continue in the New Year.

Our kitchen photos show our lives up to December 27. On the 28th, we flew to Costa Rica where we are on a birding trip, but I scheduled this post to go live for the December 31 wrap up.


Inspired by Bruno’s Cookbook.


Also from Bruno's cookbook.





Assembling the chicken Marengo to take to a potluck. I adapted Julia Child’s recipe to work for a potluck.


A recipe from the New York Times.

Fried eggs for a sandwich.

Before serving, this tart is inverted on a plate, so that the onions are on top of the pastry.


A very refreshing salad: celery, green onion, capers, herbs, lemon zest & juice, olive oil.
Like many of the above preparations, this contains moderately-priced and easily available ingredients.




New in my kitchen in December

Oven-safe enameled pans -- the smaller one was used for the onion tart.

Fresh jars of spice blends to replace the ones in my pantry that have gone out-of-date.

Blog post © 2023 mae sander


8 comments:

Lori said...

All of your dishes look delicious. The mushroom pasta is calling my name. I always love your book recommendations regarding food and cooking. I've made a goal of not buying any new cookbooks this year, but I know I will probably fail miserably at the goal.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year!!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

You certainly were cooking up a storm that past month. I hope you are having a great time in Costa Rica. Wishing you a healthy and happy New Year.

eileeninmd said...

Happy Birding, Costa Rica is one of my favorite places. These are all yummy dishes, I would like to try the mushroom pasta and the onion tart. Happy New Year to you and your family, wishing you all the best in 2024!

Sherry's Pickings said...

so much good food here Mae! I love salmon, so we usually have it once a fortnight.thanks for being part of IMK in 2023, and looking forward to your posts this year. Phew! somehow we made it thru a pretty awful year. Onwards and upwards.
cheers
sherry

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Hope you had a good trip! May 2024 hold all that you need :)

Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid said...

Everything looks so good especially the onion tart! Hope you have a great trip and an absolutely fabulous 2024.

Happy Retiree's Kitchen said...

So much delicious cooking and you've inspired me to make an onion tart. We eat salmon once a week, and it lends itself to so many ways of cooking it, baking sounds good. How interesting to visit Costa Rica. Stay happy and healthy in 2024.

Marg said...

I go through phases of being obsessed with all things French! At the moment I seem to be going through a Japanese phase!

All your food looks delicious!