Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Why am I making Granola?

 

Crunchy and full of oats, nuts, and dried fruit.

In the oven

Normally, I wouldn’t bother to make granola from scratch, though it’s not that difficult, and I keep the ingredients (oats, coconut oil, honey, nuts, dried fruits, cinnamon, vanilla) on hand. This time is different: we were urged to return our Quaker granola cereal to Costco because it’s contaminated with salmonella. Costco, impressively, keeps track of one’s purchases so they both phoned us AND emailed us to explain the problem. Since we enjoy eating granola, I looked up a recipe.

Warnings!





A few of the many recalled products, including the one we returned.

Blog post © 2023 mae sander

10 comments:

DVArtist said...

There are so many recalls now on so many different foods that it is getting scary. I get emails from the Food and drug to let me know what foods are being recalled. You would be amazed. We go through spurts on eating granola but I always make my own. Yours looks very good. Have a nice day today.

eileeninmd said...

Your homemade granola looks yummy.
I've been been buying Wegmans' brand of granola.
Take care, have a happy day!

Cloudia said...

You were homemade granola looks better than anything at the store! Aloha, hello

Lori said...

There have been so many food recalls lately. Good that you were notified.

thecuecard said...

So glad you didn't eat the contaminated granola. Costco must be quite worried to call customers. Keep with the homemade!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I have three boxes of that (possibly contaminated) granola here. I have always made my own granola anyway. I feel free to vary it according to my mood. Currently, I tend to put in a lot of sunflower seeds and pecans.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Very smart of you. I know contaminants can occur even in unprocessed foods, but the risk in minimized.

Jeanie said...

I'll be writing about my King Arthur flour experience soon. Also purchased at Costco (and not alerted -- maybe the King doesn't know I found what Looks like plaster shards in my flour.)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I had no idea!! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Scary! Hopefully, you will enjoy your homemade granola even better.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I had no idea. Thanks for the information. Your homemade granola looks great and hopefully you enjoyed it even more than the store bought.