Monday, December 04, 2023

The Pisco Sour

A Pisco Sour: Pisco is a colorless grape brandy made in Peru.
(Random image from google)

On the Menu at China Chilcano in Washington, DC:



José Andrés
China Chilcano is the wonderful restaurant run by Chef José Andrés and his excellent staff, which opened in 2015. It's menu "honors Peru’s deeply rooted and diverse heritage, including its native Criollo, Chinese Chifa and Japanese Nikkei cuisines."
 
Looking at the drinks menu when we ate there recently, I recalled the Peruvian national drink: the Pisco Sour. Although I drank wine at the restaurant, I was amused to recall all the Pisco Sours we drank while on the Delfin II, a riverboat on the upper Amazon River in Peru.

José Andrés is not only a great chef, and the developer of a number of fabulous restaurants, but he's also the founder of World Central Kitchen, a remarkable organization for feeding victims of wars and natural disasters worldwide. Recent operations by WCK have taken place in response to the hurricane in Acapulco, the devastating fire in Maui, the wars in Ukraine and Gaza, and many other locations.

Super delicious Ceviche Nikkei that we tried at China Chilcano.

Pisco Sours in Peru


From the public relations for the Delfin Amazon cruises: the above photo features a bartender with the ingredients for a Pisco Sour, specifically giant limes from the local area. On our cruise (in 2017), Pisco Sours were available all day, included in the price of the voyage.

On the Delfin II in 2017: the bartender making Pisco Sours.



Blog post by mae sander © 2023




14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The drink Pisco Sour sounds tasty. It would be a treat to eat at the China Chilcano. Take care, enjoy your day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Good to know that as well as being a great cook that Andres also has a big heart for those in need of food, kudos! Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never heard of pisco, but the drink certainly looks pretty. Happy T Tuesday!

Harvee said...

I haven't had a pisco sour in a while, but I remember having one in NYC and again in Rio. Wonderful drink.

CJ Kennedy said...

I have never heard of Pisco, but it sounds delicious especially as I'm fond of lime. I've seen ads on television lately with José Andrés talking about his World Central Kitchen. There are some really good people on the earth. Happy T Day

DVArtist said...

Wow everything looks so good, especially the drink. Have a very nice day.

Carola Bartz said...

The drink looks and sounds very delicious. This is something I would definitely like to try.

Kate Yetter said...

That Ceviche Nikkei looks fresh and colorful!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

I'm late stopping by for T, but those drinks sound interesting. I haven't heard of Pisco before, but if they are yummy, I bet you had one or two back in 2017 on your cruise. I wouldn't mind trying one myself. I hope it was a lovely T day Mae. hugs-Erika

Lisca said...

I've never heard of Pisco either. I have a Peruvian friend. I'll ask if she has some. As the pisco drinks you mentioned sound really nice.
Hugs,
Lisca

Empire of the Cat said...

I've never heard of Pisco either but I'd have to pass, I really don't like brandy. I like the sound of all the things they add to it though. Happy T Day! Elle xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

World Central Kitchen sounds like a great organisation.sadly I don't think the drink would mix well with my medication! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for visiting for T this week. I am sorry to be late visiting, but I have just been released from the hospital where I have been since Monday night. Before you ask, I DO NOT have Covid. I will be back tomorrow to visit each person who dropped by this week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As promised, I am back to visit. My plan on Friday was to visit the international T Tuesday participants first, while it was Friday in their world, then those who live in the states where it would still be Friday in THEIR world. That didn't happen, although I was able to visit a few before my young fur baby got sick. As much as Bleubeard tries to stay away from Squiggles, he was (seemed) actually concerned for once. Now Squiggles has been looked at and taken care of, I am back. And even though I am on hiatus until the new year, I will be here every Monday afternoon my time to spend T time with you, Mae, because I always love your outside-the-box T posts.

I have never heard of Pisco drinks, either, but enjoyed reading about them and Peru, too. Also, to my knowledge I have never had brandy, either.

Nice to learn more about Chef Jose Andres, too. Seems he does good work around the world.

Thanks for sharing these piscos with us for T this past week, dear friend.