Saturday, December 23, 2023

A New Year is coming: let it be better than this one.

Birding allows me to enjoy the beauty of the natural world.
Yet anyone who appreciates the natural world has a lot to worry about.
This bird, the kingfisher, has long been a symbol of calm weather, peace, and love.

The Planet is in Trouble!

What is important to me this year? Global human and natural welfare are fragile. The future looks uncertain. My focus leans towards the US because that’s where I live, and I see many causes for concern, serious concern. Many of the issues that I worry about are closely linked to one another. And there are so many of them!

  • Climate change as an existential threat to humanity: arriving rapidly and causing a number of types of deprivation, desperation, natural disasters, and dysfunction in societies, especially causing food scarcity and famine or near-famine in the global south.
  • The war in Israel and the dreadful consequences if Hamas is not defeated.
  • Antisemitism in American life and on US university campuses — brought out by the war in Israel, but obviously evoked, not caused by the war.
  • Increasing inequality (both socio-economic and racial) throughout the US with a variety of bad consequences, combined with right wing repression of women’s rights and minority rights.
  • The war in Ukraine and the looming dominance of Russia as a consequence of a bad end to the war. 
  • Food shortages in many third world countries (much of it due to climate change) forcing large numbers of people to crowd into already overburdened cities and often to attempt migration to the global north.
  • Political success by the extreme right wing in many places. The large numbers of desperate people wanting to enter North American and European countries is one factor in growing right-wing strength in the global north.
  • Degradation of educational institutions in the US: a complex and multi-faceted issue.
  • The threat to world peace implicit in almost every one of the above issues.
  • In the US, we are also threatened with the end of democracy and the completion of a right-wing takeover of the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the Federal government.
Notice that I don’t have any mention of AI or of any type of rampant and out-of-human-control technology on the list. I’m not very worked up about AI — maybe that will prove to be all wrong. And although I’m very interested in how our food choices and consumer choices collectively impact human life, my concerns for the future are expressed in a more general way. Similarly, fears that treasured creatures such as some species of birds, bats, frogs, polar bears, rhinos, fish, monarch butterflies, and many more may go extinct (or lose their natural habitat and exist only in captivity) is intrinsic in the concern about climate change. As the New Year approaches, all these thoughts perplex me.

Sunrise on one of the shortest days of the year. We hope things will start to look better.

I've also reread a mystical novel based on Jewish traditions and folklore:
The World to Come by Dara Horn. Reading good books: another cosolation.


Blog post © 2023 mae sander
Shared with Sunday Salon at Readerbuzz 
and with Eileen's Saturday Critters 

13 comments:

Sherry's Pickings said...

oh yes this year has been a very difficult one. Let's hope 2024 is much better. wishing you and yours a happy festive season. cheers sherry

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
These are scary times indeed! Love your beautiful Kingfisher photo and the sunrise is gorgeous. They are two beautiful things to enjoy while trying to put aside the awful things happening. Thanks for the book suggestion! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Tare care, wishing you a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Iris Flavia said...

I agree. And it´s not only this year. In some perspectives it was even better - I needed no mask (I wear glasses, that really was a bugger).
The other day there was a series on the black pest back then.
I think we will always have ups and downs.
I wish the wars to end and really... stop trying to "conquer" Mars, safe Earth, fight cancer, stop hunger, there are ways! Etc, etc, there is so much better to do than watching politicians fighting over money they take from us...

Harvee said...

The neighor across the street took down a huge old oak that was overhanging his neighbor's yard and the street where people park and walk dogs. So he was protecting people in this case, as one or two gigantic limbs from that oak have come down in the past, luckily not on anyone, but in his back yard.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief, thinking those old limbs won't crush our cars or reach our house when/if they fall.

Nicky said...

Here's hoping indeed... Hope you have a good Christmas!

JoAnn said...

We share those concerns and continue to hope... love the kingfisher photo!

Cindy said...

I have heard that things are coming (I don't know exactly what) and that next year is going to be harder than this year! I hope they are wrong. Merry Christmas!

Jenni Elyse said...

Hear hear! I too am worried about all those things.

I live in a red state and the politics here make me so mad. The legislators decided to cancel car inspections so now gas-guzzling, environmental-harming big ass trucks are even worse because the owners don't maintain them.

Recycling is so hard here. Even if the area we live in does recycling, the recyclables are often taken to the dump. It's so disheartening.

To top it all off, my anxiety is through the roof because of the upcoming presidential election. I'm worried we're headed into a dictatorship and / or a civil war. I truly hope neither of those things happen. Only time will tell.

Anyway, on that gloomy note, lol, I hope you've had and continue to have a wonderful holiday season.

My Post

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I can only try to live my life in ways that support the good over the bad---tiny acts of good, really, but tiny acts forward. To do otherwise is to fall into despair, and that accomplishes nothing.

It's hard to know what is true, but it helps me continue to move ahead when I read about the good. Here's a list of twenty-three good things from 2023: https://mashable.com/article/2023-news-good.

Joy said...

What's helped me most is the old "Think Global, Act Local" maxim. It forces me into community, in person, with people. I can see results in front of me, changed hearts & minds, improved practices in schools, and new food options in our largest food desert. I know the people who made those things happen and, in small ways, contributed myself.

Vicki said...

I love the bird sitting on the end of the branch.

I agree 100% with everything in your The Planet is in Trouble list! The world is getting sadder and scarier every day.

That photo is beautiful, I love the colors of the sky and the tree.

Yvonne said...

I do hope 2024 is a better year. Both personally for me and for the world around us, 2023 wasn't a good year.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I had zero appreciation of birds until I went to Arkansas and saw ALL THE BIRDS!!!! Amazing, beautiful birds.

The other day I heard a familiar sound and looked up at the telephone pole. A woodpecker??? In Los Angeles??? Who knew we had them???

I love your kingfisher photo and will die of happiness if I ever get to see one with my own two eyes. They're so cute!