Monday, December 18, 2023

Images of the Seine

Renoir: "The Luncheon of the Boating Party" (Déjeuner des Canotiers). 
Renoir's famous friends drinking wine at a popular outdoor restaurant “La Maison Fournaise,” after boating on the Seine.
Sciolino points out that the restaurant still exists: you could eat on this terrace near the river!

As I read Elaine Sciolino's book The Seine, The River That Made Paris, I've been enjoying photos and images that she mentioned. The book includes a number of photos, but many of her chapters refer to other scenes as well, and I found some of them online. It's a very visual book!

The first photo below was taken during my most recent visit to Paris, a few short months before the April, 2019 fire that destroyed Notre Dame Cathedral. Sciolino points out that firefighters relied on water pumped from the Seine to fight the fire, and prevent even more destruction!

After that, I've included several historical photos, art works, and other images that were discussed in the book. I'm using Sciolino's text as a source of ideas for finding images; I’m not writing a real review.


A view of the Seine, November, 2018.

Historic Photos of the Seine

Emile Zola's hobby was photography: here is his view of the Seine around 1900.

Quai des Grands Augustins by Eugene Atget, 1920

Charles Nègre, 1855. Quai D'Anjou. Nègre is one of the earliest photographers of the city.

Charles Nègre, 1855. Construction of the bridge d'Arcole.

After describing the Seine as it flows through Paris, Sciolino continues towards the mouth of the river.
As shown here, Rouen, also on the Seine, was badly bombed during World War II,  especially the bridges. (source)

Bouquinistes and Bathers Along the River in Paris, 21st Century


"The BOUQUINISTES are the literary gatekeepers of Paris."
(Photo from Elaine Sciolino, 
The Seine: The River that Made Paris, p. 201).

“Bathers sunning themselves on the Right Bank of the Seine near the Pont de Sully and the Île Saint-Louis” (The Seine, p. 11)

At the mouth of the river

We paid a very brief visit to this small and picturesque seaport in 1976. The Seine here rises and falls with the tides: evidently we were there at low tide.

Inspector Maigret: Always Near the River


More Images of the Seine

Visiting Seurat's painting "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" 
at the Chicago Art Institute, 2017. La Grande Jatte is an island in the Seine.

Claude Monet: The Break-up of the Ice on the Seine, 1880. Monet painted the river very often.
This painting is very familiar to me because it belongs to the University of Michigan Museum of Art.

The Louvre beside the Seine, long before the elaborate creation of stone riverbanks. 
From the "Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry," 1412-1416.

Paris in 1553: a map by Olivier Truschet and Germain Hoyau. (Wikipedia)

The Seine in Paris in the seventeenth century. (Wikipedia)


Blog post and original photos © 1976, 2018, 2023 mae sander

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I like seeing the old images of the Seine.
The bather sunning themselves is a favorite. I guess you do not need a beach to sunbath. Have a great day and happy week!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've always been fond of Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party. I loved how various classes of individuals were shown together.

I was fascinated by the images of the Seine. That famous d'Arcole bridge is almost as noteworthy as the Seine itself.

Probably my favorite of the photos you shared was Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. Every time I visit Chicago I have to go to the Art Institute to see this famous painting. It is one of my very favorites anywhere.

Thanks for another outside the box entry for T this week, dear Mae.

My name is Erika. said...

I like how you talk about that book in this post Mae. I've seen and ridden on the Seine in Paris, and it is definitely the heart of the city. I like seeing the photo you shared with Honfleur. And I don't know if I've ever seen the Monet of the river in spring with the ice on it. I like it very much, and in many ways it is different (at least from what I expected) in a Monet scene. Have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

Those old images are truly fascinating, Mae. It's always interesting to see how a place changes. It seems you were in Honfleur the same time I visited - a picturesque little town. I would like to go back one day. I think I have never seen this "ice" painting of the Seine by Monet - I like it very much. I assume you saw and studied it many times. Happy T day!

Linda said...

Interesting. It’s been along time since I’ve been to Paris.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you very much for sharing the old photographs!
But argh, these e-scooters are everywhere! There at least placed properly, here they are lying around everywhere....

Lisca said...

I find those old photos fascinating. And I had to smile at the bathers. Of course I grew up in Rotterdam, which is also a city with a river running through it. And seeing bathers like that was a normal sight for me.
The Seine is certainly the heart of Paris. The Renoir painting is very famous and it’s one of my favourites. I think I wrote about it last year. I had never seen the Monet painting with the ice. Very different to what one would expect.
I wonder if the Notre Dame has been restored. I remember many millions pouring in for the restoration.
Hugs and happy Christmas,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

This is a seriously beautiful post. All the photos are just magnificent. Thank you for sharing them.

Empire of the Cat said...

Really enjoyed seeing all the photos of the Seine, and I love the Boating Party, one of my favourite Renoir's. I was lucky enough to view an exhibition of his paintings once, really beautiful. Happy T Day! Elle xx

jinxxxygirl said...

Mae i enjoyed all the information and images of the Seine.. I've been on the River! While stationed in Germany we took an overnight trip to Paris... We rode on a boat at night going down the Seine.. As you go under the bridges you can see little faces looking back at you ... concrete faces that is.. Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm enjoying the images from its history, and of course Maigret! He's a favorite here. Happy T Tuesday

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos of the Seine and Paris, always a great place. I am lucky that it is just a few hours from here by train! Hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Mae! I think I need to read this book! I loved seeing those photos! Hopefully we'll get back to Paris next year! Happy T Day, Chrisx

thecuecard said...

Those historic Seine shots are wonderful, particularly the Emile Zola one .... it has me daydreaming about his life there.

Jeanie said...

I think I have that book. I certainly love all your photos and acquired images of the Seine. That Renoir -- have you read "Luncheon of the Boating Party" (I think is the title -- by Susan Vreeland) - historic fiction (but researched) about Renoir creating that? I love that painting and would love to see it in person!