Monday, April 11, 2022

What makes eating so satisfying? (Repost from 2013)

Looking forward to wine and crunchy snacks on the patio,
while the weather is still keeping us waiting for spring!
This post is linked to the weekly celebration of drinks at Elizabeth's blog

"With wine, there are actually two layers of flavour in the initial nosing. The first aromas to hit are those such as bubble gum, banana or butterscotch from the most volatile elements that, says Smith, 'have probably arisen from fermentation.' Then, after the glass is agitated to break the surface tension, a second set of volatiles is released. 'That's when you get the fruit aroma – raspberry, pear, melon,' Smith adds." (The Guardian

Several years ago, in 2013, I did a reading project about the sense of smell. I continue to find the study of "neurogastronomy," or how the brain processes aromas and tastes, a compelling one (documented here). I often look for new articles about ongoing research on the subject. However, today, I'd like to repeat a post that I wrote back then, beginning with a link to an article in the Guardian -- "What makes eating so satisfying?" This article summarized some of the research on how the brain and sensory organs work together to create flavor and enjoyment in eating and drinking. This fit very well with my reading project of that time. It also fits well with several books and articles I have read this year, in 2022.

The author had several things to say about the complex pleasure of smelling and tasting wine.When you sniff a wine, the article points out, you perceive the most volatile aromas first, followed by those that are stirred up when you swirl the contents of your glass.

From the article: With wine, it is easy to confuse the two separate
entities of taste and smell. Photograph: David Levene

The complexity of the taste receptors on the tongue isn't quite what one learned in the past: the old "map" of taste buds has been superseded by recent research, says the Guardian. "The current consensus is that tastebuds all over the mouth carry receptors for all the basic tastes, it's just that there are higher concentrations of those four tastes in their designated areas."

The following example illustrates the article's point that perceptions of flavors in fact reside in the brain and on memories and learned reactions, citing Professor Barry Smith of London University's Centre for the Study of the Senses:
It is easy to confuse the two separate entities of taste and smell, and the latter holds great sway over how something will taste when it reaches your mouth. For example, westerners associate the aroma vanilla with sweetness (which is a taste – we can't actually smell sweet) so strongly that if vanilla is added to food, we'll think it tastes sweeter than it really is. But connections such as this are, adds Smith, "learned by the brain, not by you". If you are given a drink that has traces of sugar and vanilla that you wouldn't detect if they were on their own, the two together will taste sweet to you. Unless you're from Asia, where vanilla tends to be associated with salty food. 
The role of the brain in creating flavor is the subject of an entire book that I have read more than once: Neurogastronomy: How the Brain Creates Flavor and Why It Matters by Gordon Shepherd. The connection made me find this example especially interesting.

Enjoyment of food also depends on visual cues, especially color, and on the sounds one hears while eating, says the Guardian:
In 2008, the Oxford professor Charles Spence won the Ig Nobel prize for proving the importance of noise when eating crunchy snacks. The study showed that people think Pringles "taste" stale when they're less crunchy, even though the taste and smell remain normal. He then put headphones on his munching participants, amplifying the sounds of their own crunching. The louder the crunch, the fresher and crisper the Pringles were reported to be. This is why, says Smith, "they make bags of crisps so noisy, to get the brain to think: fresh fresh fresh." 
Quite a fascinating article!

Blog post © 2013, 2022 by mae sander for maefood dot blogspot dot com. 

18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

That is interesting!

Carola Bartz said...

A few years ago my husband lost his sense of smell due to a health issue. He said that it completely influenced his joy of eating (he loves to eat) since without his sense of smell his sense of taste was gone as well. Thankfully it returned after his surgery, but this was one of the (many) reasons we didn't (and don't) want to get COVID since the loss of smell and taste can be one of the side effects or even a long COVID result. It sounds quite awful to me and I certainly have no desire to experience this.

Sharon Madson said...

I found this post very interesting. I am going to research this "neurogastronomy"; you have really piqued my curiosity. Thanks for sharing thoughts and sites about this. I have always wondered why coffee can smell so good and taste so bad! LOL Happy T Day!

Linda Kunsman said...

Interesting post Mae. True about the sense of smell. Can't tell you how often I have said "mmmm, that smells so good" :) Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

This is a really interesting post Mae. Smell tells us so much, and so much of it is not really things we think about either. It is interesting having dogs and how important smell is to them. I think for us humans, smell, food and what we think based on those smells can probably fill volumes. Thanks for sharing this Mae, and happy T day to you. hugs-Erika

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

When I did a whisky tasting course we learnt that we might know what we are smelling and tasting because it's familiar to us. So if we are told we can smell pears, that's what we will smell. Even if it's apples.

Valerie-Jael said...

Very interesting article, smelling and tasting are important. My blind neighbour was alwas able to tell what was on her plate when she smelled it. Happy T Day, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,

Interesting post and article. I like the smell and taste of wine.
I have not had Pringles in a long time, they are crunchy.
Take care, have a great day and week ahead!

nwilliams6 said...

Super informative, Mae. Unfortunately, I don't have much sense of smell but it is still there a little and I use it as much as I can. Our bodies are amazing! Happy T-day. Hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

Fascinating! I've heard that aging affects the sense of smell which affects taste, making eating less enjoyable. Happy T Tuesday

Let's Art Journal said...

I love a fruity red wine myself and I enjoyed your post 😁. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Lisca said...

How fascinating! As a nurse I developed a particular sense of smell. People with certain diseases have certain smells. The article mentions doctors in the old days diagnosing bladder infections by the smell. That's easy. I can do that too and more. Our sense of smell is really good if you are aware and develop it. As a nurse I don't think we use our smell consciously but being in very intimate contact with the patient, you can't help but pick up smells, (to which we become immune if they are bad.) and with years of doing this, in the end our sense of smell is heightened. When I worked in Italy as a midwife (a life time ago), I would insist on checking all the women 'down below' as my sense of smell would warn me of infections (not so common now thank goodness). Anyway, I could go on. But you get my gist.
Thank you for an interesting post.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

jinxxxygirl said...

A friend of the family couldn't smell anything. She was an elderly lady when i knew her.. I wonder how long she had that problem? To the best of my knowledge it did not affect the way she enjoyed food.. Happy Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Empire of the Cat said...

Interesting post today Mae, how funny about the Pringles crisps and staleness. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

DVArtist said...

Due to lupus I have Anosmia. I don't smell properly. I have to use sight more than smell. What I smell is not the same as anyone else would smell. I also smell things that aren't there at all. It's crazy. Have a nice day today.

Darla said...

Interesting post. I think my sense of smell is actually pretty acute. I don't think my sense of taste is as sophisticated as some peoples

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would have been here sooner, but I've been stuck with my new tax man most of the day. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

What an interesting post. I remember when in grad school, we did a test that showed the scent or smell of something could trigger old memories, mostly good, but sometimes bad. It was a fascinating study.

I was also intrigued by your study. You never fail to find ways to investigate something others would never consider. Thanks for this repost and a great entry for T this Tuesday, too.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fascinating. Happy T Day!