Saturday, April 30, 2022

Patagonia Kitchen

My temporary kitchen for 5 days in Patagonia, Arizona. I cooked or prepared quite a few meals here.
Since I’ve been away from my home kitchen almost all month, this will be my entry for Sherry’s Blog Event.



Brought from Trader Joe’s in Ann Arbor: 
shelf-stable gnocchi with a jar of basil pesto.
New-to-me products which I might use again.

It was good, and we saved the rest for lunch.

Salad with leftover gnocchi with pesto and lots of vegetables.
The apartment kitchen lacked a serving bowl so I used a cooking pot.

Not much in the refrigerator, but it was good to have some choices. And great to have a full-size fridge.

In the freezer: ice cream, P.F.Chang’s chicken, ice cans for the picnic cooler.
Our host supplied a large can of coffee for the Mr.Coffee machine.

Breakfast: cereal, milk, juice, fruit, coffee.

From Safeway: P.F.Chang’s chicken in Korean BBQ sauce.
Another new choice. I would use it again in a temporary kitchen.

I didn’t have standard side dishes for Korean barbecue chicken so we ate it with white bread and fruit salad.
For other dinners and lunches we ate sandwiches -- but photos of them would be boring. 
Cooking with limited ingredients in a temporary kitchen is an adventure!

Kitchen on the Road

Hotel kitchens on the road: tiny fridge, microwave, coffee maker.
This is very convenient, as we have an icebox with food for lunch each day.
It saves a lot of time, especially when the only place to stop is a roadside rest area!

Blog post © 2022 mae sander
Shared with Sherry’s In My Kitchen blog event.


15 comments:

Jeanie said...

It looks like you found a nice spot for your lodging! And pretty good food, all things considered. It must have felt good to cook in for a few days.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Your meals looks yummy. I should try the Trader Joe's Gnocchi and I would your salad and veggies. Taking your own food while traveling is a good idea, probably healthier too. Have a great weekend.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I get frustrated when hotel rooms don't have fridges as we also always have things than need refrigeration while travelling. How odd that there were no serving bowls in your temporary kitchen. I wonder what the owner uses at home?

Iris Flavia said...

You sure did the best of it!
We didn´t even had water in the fridge after arriving in Perth from Germany.
The chairs sure look like LEGO, very cool!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like you did very well in unfamiliar surroundings, Mae. Sometimes you just have to improvise!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Hi Mae,
Looks like you are creating some decent meals in your little kitchen. I just looked at the gnocchi last week at Trader Joe- glad you liked it- maybe I'll get it next time. Enjoy your travels!

Divers and Sundry said...

You know how to take advantage of on-the-road kitchen facilities. I can see I need to check out some of the possibilities you show here. I'd use them even in my home kitchen. Thanks!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The apartment kitchen reminds me of the air b n bs we stayed in when we were in Europe a few years ago. We've had our share of hotel "cooking" too, but lately our travels have involved RV kitchens of various sizes. .... my latest food find is shelf-stable gnocci. Here at home (not so practical for traveling) I have been following NYT recipes for roasting them in the oven rather than boiling. Delicious. But I think next road trip we take I will do something exactly like what you show! Very useful for our tiny trailer kitchen.

Sherry's Pickings said...

thanks once again for joining in Mae. Appreciate it! Yes it's great to have a small kitchen when travelling. Patagonia? I thought wow she's gone way down to the ends of the earth :-) Sandwiches rule! cheers S

Sherry's Pickings said...

hope my comment went thru!

Tina said...

Hotels should always have a fridge!! Your meals look delicious and healthy.

Liz said...

It's so much more convenient to be able to make your own meals when traveling. Especially if you have had a long day of hiking or sight seeing. I just want to relax, take a long shower, and have a glass of wine without dressing up to go out. I like the frozen TJ gnocchi and haven't seen the shelf stable one.

Unknown said...

I find being away from home you try out different things that might not be in your routine! I think you are amazing adventurous to be out and about, have a great time!

Nathaniel said...

I also took Trader Joe's pesto and gnocchi on my own recent road trip. My cooking method was more primitive: Heat it up by setting it on the window defroster vent with the heat and fan turned to high...while parked at a trailhead in Jasper National Park. I had a 12 volt immersion heater and a little camp stove, too, for fine dining.
PS That pesto jar is prone to leaking, especially with altitude changes. Oil seems to escape from containers more readily than water-soluble compounds.

Marg said...

You've done well to adapt to different kitchens along the way!