Friday, April 22, 2022

Reading on Vacation

As we travel, I sometimes have time to read, as long as I pick an easy book. It's nice that my Kindle app means I don't have to carry a huge stack of real books! My selections are by authors whose works I've read before. Here they are, with only very brief comments -- I am on vacation.


"My Evil Mother"
This very short story reminded me of some of
Margaret Atwood's early novels.


One more in the series about Rei Shimura,
the Japanese-American amateur detective.
Sujata Massey is a fun author.

Set in Washington, DC, and published around 15 years ago, The Pearl Diver is all about the challenges of restaurant workers and how they live and work, as well as a pretty good mystery. I liked the references to real restaurants in DC -- for example, 

“There’s a small-plates trend in better restaurants,” Marshall said. “In this neighborhood alone, Zaytinya and Jaleo have made their names because of tapas-style menus. Kaiseki is just a Japanese version.” (p. 20). 

Published just in time for me to read it in the Southwest.
One more book about the everlasting Navajo detectives
Jim Chee and Bernie Manuelito. Suspenseful! 
Interesting because it's set during the pandemic.


A very serious book, hard to read. 

Edmund deWaal has captured the spirit of the times of his extended family a few generations ago: how their riches, exquisite taste, and contributions to French society couldn't save them from Auschwitz. I can't imagine why I chose this as vacation reading! 


Blog post © 2022 mae sander.







15 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Do you read while Len is driving? Enjoy the selection of books you have chosen.

Jeanie said...

I loved the Hare with Amber Eyes. BUT I'm not sure on this one. I'm interested in the Pearl Diver.

DVArtist said...

You are so lucky to be able to read. My eyes have gone a wry so I no longer can look at the print.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good choices!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your vacation! I do like Anne Hillerman's books. I never read her father but I started off the series with the first one she took over from him. Have a good time!

The Literary Lioness said...

Those sound like some interesting books. Except for Atwood, I have never heard of the other authors.

I hope you really enjoy them!

Visiting from The Sunday Salon.

https://theliterarylioness.com/the-sunday-salon-1/

Mark Baker said...

Hope you had a great vacation. I've found reading Kindle books while on vacation to be convenient. Plus, I read on the app on my phone, so I always have my book with me without having to physically carry one.

Here's my Sunday post: http://carstairsconsiders.blogspot.com/2022/04/april-24ths-sundaymonday-post.html

Jackie McGuinness said...

Thanks for this, I put Pearl Diver and Letters on my library wish list.

Emily said...

I want to read The Handmaid's Tale and if I enjoy that then move on to the others!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/04/24/sunday-salon/

Debra Eliotseats said...

Eclectic list. I hope you will post more extensive reviews of them all.

thecuecard said...

The Hillerman novel seems perfect for the area you're in. I didn't realize it includes the pandemic in it. That's current! Have fun.

My name is Erika. said...

I read the Sacred Bridge and enjoyed it. I need to check out the Sujata mysteries. Good for you to read so many vacation books.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I take along a big selection of Kindle books on vacation. Most of them are books I have checked out from the library. I try to bring along a variety of genres, and I try to pick some books that are short and some that are long.

I am very happy with the books I brought along for my Paris trip. I ended up reading about ten of them in the month that I was gone.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When I'm on vacation, I go by myself and I drive. Maybe I should invest in a book listening club the next time I go somewhere. They all sound good except for the last one. Definitely doesn't sound like light reading.

Heather G. said...

I have a hard time finding time to read while on vacation as well. So I decided over spring break to try audiobooks and it worked! I got four books in in a week. Easy historical romances made them fly by. Plus I got in plenty of time for vacationing stuff with the fam! Those look like good reads!