Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Santa Fe, New Mexico

The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis Assisi, Santa Fe, New Mexico, at sunset last night.
We are spending just one day in this interesting town that's full of art and very good food.

 Dinner: The Plaza Cafe



Breakfast food for dinner: blue corn tortillas, over-easy eggs,
red and green chiles, hash browns, pinto beans. Beautiful!

Len's enchiladas with rice & beans.

Flan for dessert. A great diner with wonderful New Mexican food.

Lunch at Pasquale’s, a famous restaurant in Santa Fe.


Len enjoyed a squash taco & a tuna taco, with green rice & salad.

My spicy Chinese chicken salad with mango & lettuce. Very good.
Very spicy!

Strawberry-rhubarb pie!

What will we have for our last dinner here? Maybe I'll update this post with one more set of photos!

Another Gastropub!


Fire & Hops.


Santa Fe Art and Birds

RandallDavey-3

Besides eating, this morning we have done a bit of birdwatching at the Randall Davey Audubon Center & Sanctuary.  Len took several bird photos while we were enjoying the early morning light.

This afternoon, we visited three museums. The Museum of Indian Arts and Culture is always a favorite, though unfortunately today most of the exhibits are under construction, so we didn't see much. We proceeded to the Folk Art Museum where there was a fabulous exhibit of Japanese art and cultural ideas about demons. And we also visited the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian, though didn't take photos.

Museum of International Folk Art, Santa Fe

Special Exhibit: #mask: Creative Responses to the Global Pandemic

Artists worldwide have been responding to the pandemic with a variety of creative work. I was surprised and fascinated by the items in the exhibit (online here). My favorite was a recreation of a traditional Day of the Dead altar, as a pandemic altar. The artist is Arthur Lopez of Santa Fe, and the title is "Altar Vision: 2020."

Note the hand sanitizer, the picture of a mask on a computer,
the virus outside the window, and other items related to the pandemic
(all modeled from clay). The Corona Beer is a reminder of the coronavirus!

A more traditional altar by Luis Tapia, from "Fiestas and Community Gatherings."

Special Exhibit: Yōkai: Ghosts & Demons of Japan

Noh mask of a demon from the website of the exhibit.
The exhibit included a fascinating variety of images, including modern ones
like the films of Hayao Miyazaki that include ghosts and demons.

Blog post © 2022 mae sander.

16 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I nearly didn't notice the virus outside the window in the painting. My eye was drawn immediately to the laptop. Safe travels today.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
wonderful images from your visit to Santa Fe. The food looks delicious, I love the Mexican food, the beer is good too. Pretty church and photo. The art work is cool. Take care, have a happy day!

Iris Flavia said...

Am I glad I just had (self made) Pizza - hmmmm, all the food looks yummy and in general like you had a blast!

Tina said...

What a wonderful trip! I am enjoying your photos of the meals and the birds.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Some terrific photos! I've never been to Santa Fe -- really, really want to get there. And I'm always up for breakfast for dinner!

Jeanie said...

Santa Fe is probably one of the very few places in the US that I haven't been that I really would love to visit. I think the art would be fabulous and so -- as you have shown us -- would be the food!

Divers and Sundry said...

Your food choices are great there, and the bird-watching opportunities seem abundant! The folk art is fascinating. I love how colorful it all is.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the folk art and decor!
We haven't eaten out in a year!

My name is Erika. said...

I love Santa Fe. I have been there 5 or 6 times. I've even eaten at the Plaza Cafe. Thanks for taking me back and sharing these photos. Have a safe trip home.

Linda said...

Such lively exhibits!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not sure how I got SO FAR behind. I have made several Day of the Dead shrines before and I have to say Alter Vision, 2020 is the most creative one I have seen. It certainly has everything and more.

I have been to Santa Fe several times. I have always enjoyed the town and the different elements of old and new.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

New Mexico has lots of rocks, so my rock-hunting husband loves to visit this state. We spent quite a bit of time in Santa Fe and Taos. So much beautiful art.

Altar Vision: 2020 is my favorite, too.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It's so wonderful that you are getting to travel. I love the photos that you shared from the places you are visiting- all very interesting. I found the presentation of the mango exceptional. Enjoy!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

The food at The Plaza Cafe looks so tempting, I'm glad you were able to share your trip with us.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We loved Santa Fe and all the museums. The folk art one was my favorite. It's been too long since we've been in the Southwest and I really enjoyed all of your posts, but especially the memories of this wonderful unique city. Thanks for all the shares. Loved the vicarious trip.

Marg said...

Thanks for sharing your trip to Santa Fe with us! The food all looks really delicious!