Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Mount Lemon Hoodoos

Mount Lemon near Tucson, Arizona, has a variety of landscapes, including steep hillsides covered with giant cactus, beautiful evergreen forests, chaparral landscapes, and eroded rocky pinnacles called hoodoos. We’ve seen hoodoos in other locations, especially the famous ones at Bryce Canyon National Park. Quite a sight!






The city of Tucson seen from Mt. Lemon. Tucson is in a basin, meaning there’s sometimes smog.

Mount Lemon and all of Arizona is very dry, and in a bad drought right now.
Rose Canyon Lake, far below the peak, is exceptional.



Blog post © 2022 mae sander

9 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I did not know that rocky pinnacles are called hoodoos. Thanks for teaching me a new word.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I am enjoying your trip through your photo lens!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the beautiful views from Mount Lemmon. The Hoodoos are cool, I have seen them at Bryce NP. I have heard of other bloggers/birders talking about this place. It is sad to hear about the drought. Take care, enjoy your day!

My name is Erika. said...

Hoodoos are fun to see. It looks beautiful where you are. When I went to Tucson we were only there a couple of days, so it is fun seeing other places we didn't go to. Enjoy your trip Mae.

Jeanie said...

I've seen the Brice hoodoos -- these are really impressive. Glad you made it. Steer clear of Flagstaff -- big fire, as you probably know. I'm worried about my family there.

Divers and Sundry said...

Wow! This is such a different landscape from anything I see near me (in Memphis). I'm thoroughly enjoying this. Thanks for offering us the virtual travel opportunity :)

DVArtist said...

Glad you are having a good time.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Only been to Tucson once (to a U of A graduation). I would have loved to have explored the area more.

thecuecard said...

We did not go up to Mount Lemon, but now I really want to go back. The hoodoos look interesting.