Friday, March 18, 2022

The Kreeger Museum, Washington, DC



A gallery at the Kreeger Museum, formerly the home of the founders, David and Carmen Kreeger.

The Kreeger Museum in Northwest Washington, DC, is a small collection of masterpieces, mainly from the 20th and 21st century. While numerous museums on the National Mall near the Capitol (around 6 miles from the Kreeger) display many more works by a much wider range of artists, I think it's a lot of fun, and very relaxing, to see a limited number of paintings and sculptures in a beautifully designed atmosphere. I was especially pleased to see some works by familiar artists that were new to me. The building, which was designed by Philip Johnson and Richard Foster in 1963, is also surrounded by a delightfully landscaped sculpture garden, with many modern sculptures. 


The Inventions series by John L. Dreyfuss encircles the Reflecting Pool.

Claude Monet, The Cliffs at Petites-Dalles (1884)

Face Mask. Songye Peoples, Zaire.

Pablo Picasso, Still Life with Ears of Wheat (1943)

Arshile Gorky, Untitled (1936)

Vincent Van Gogh, Vase with Flowers, 1886.

The Kreeger also contains a selection of works by local Washington, DC, artists, a few works of Asian art, and far more paintings and sculptures that I would have liked to include in this post!

Blog post © 2022 mae sander.

16 comments:

Jeanie said...

What a lovely museum. The art is striking but I'm especially attracted by the walls and floor -- it feels warm, not utilitarian basic cream colored. Very attractive, as is the exterior and garden.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting sculptures, especially.

Divers and Sundry said...

How wonderful to have so many museums to choose from!

My name is Erika. said...

I understand what you mean about a smaller collection. Sometimes there is too much and they all blur together. This does look like a beautiful place. Hugs-Erika

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

What an eclectic collection.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

A museum I missed while in D.C. This looks like one I would enjoy, if for no other reason than the sculptures. However, the interior looks amazing, too. Thank you for taking us to the Kreeger Museum. Some of those paintings are by very famous artists.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'll have to put this one on our list. We love to go to Washington for museums. We live about 3 hours away.

Malindha Erba said...

It's a very beautiful place ^^

thecuecard said...

Thanks for sharing these! I lived near DC for 15 years ... and don't think I knew the Kreeger. I better check it out next time I'm back!

Miaismine said...

The Kreeger Museum sounds wonderful! I do believe sculpture is my favorite genre of art. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos of precious art!

Mark Baker said...

Thanks for letting us visit this museum with you.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely museum! As I get older and slow my life down, I find I have so much patience for stopping to reflect on a work of art. I never heard of this one, but it's a great find. The pelican statue is gorgeous!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

The art you shared is completely new to me and stunning. It can be fun to visit a smaller museum, I think. We plan to do this when we go to Paris next week.

What a lovely museum to visit. I attended an event at an outdoor sculpture garden in Dallas some years ago, and I've never forgotten it...I'd love to go back again.

Cindy said...

Lovely pictures from the museum. Have a wonderful week!

Debra Eliotseats said...

I think I will get to travel to DC in July so this is on my list. I've never heard of this museum. I also want to revisit the National Portrait Gallery again! (There will not be enough time....)

Tina said...

You have the coolest trips. I haven't been to DC since I was a kid. We were so close that our schools, took us on regualr field trips.