Monday, March 28, 2022

What the Dude Drinks Now

 

A White Russian: a mixture of Vodka, Kaluha, and Cream, popularized by "The Big Lebowski."

Thanks to Vivian Swift (blog post here), this meme started me thinking about a number of things. In case you aren't a fan of the Coen Brothers cult favorite "The Big Lebowski," here's a summary of where this meme is coming from:

"Whatever days in history surrounded the creation of the White Russian of the 1960s, they are obscured by March 6, 1998, the day directors Joel and Ethan Coen unleashed a disheveled, disarranged, and ruggedly disembodied Jeff Bridges upon the world in their film The Big Lebowski. Bridges’ character, known cosmically as “The Dude,” is snapped from his daily routine of day-drinking and night-bowling when he is thrust into a plot of kidnapping and mystery as the result of mistaken identity. The road is not without its tolls, but waiting at the end is liquid sustenance of vodka, Kahlua, and cream, and so The Dude abides." (source)

The war isn't funny at all. Maybe memes like this are an unwarranted distraction from contemplating the horror and immorality of the Russian attacks on Ukraine. Tanks, soldiers, rockets, bombs, artillery and other instruments of war are intentionally targeting civilians, particularly children: unthinkable. Over three million people are now homeless refugees in other countries, over 6 million internally displaced, many dead, and cities turned to rubble. Finding effective ways to donate money to help the Ukrainian victims is challenging, both mentally and emotionally. 

Human suffering on this scale is unbearable to contemplate. Humor, however, is a way to deal with too much reality, and I think we all seek good memes like this to keep going in the face of tragedy. Maybe humor can ease the fear of a wider war employing unconventional chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons, but still leave us some energy to do what we can. 

Besides the memes, many responses to Russian brutality involve symbolic actions like dumping vodka down the drain because it used to be a Russian product (but isn't any more) or renaming drinks that actually never had anything to do with Russia. In fact, actual bars are renaming the cocktails called the White Russian and the Black Russian. According to the Washington Post: "In many places, the Moscow Mule is now the Kyiv Mule. In at least one bar, it’s the Snake Island Mule, a reference to the Ukrainian territory where border guards made a defiant last stand against invading troops. ... Symbolism, particularly when it comes to food and drink — key ways that we express our identities — can be powerful."

Contemplating the unthinkable damage: Zhytomyr, Ukraine.
After 32 days of war, the destruction is horrifying. (Source: The Guardian)  
Shared with the bloggers who post at Altered Book Lover
Blog post by mae sander for maefood dot blogspot dot com. © 2022.

 

24 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

For those of us who can do very little in this war, words offer something concrete to do.

Carola Bartz said...

Humor often is a way to deal with tragedy because the reality is just too difficult to comprehend. I remember that my mom told me there were many jokes during the Third Reich (when she grew up) and the war. When a few years ago entire neighborhoods in my city burned down within a few hours humor very soon made its appearance - it was some kind of releasing tension. Dealing with the horror that is happening in Ukraine is very difficult. Here in our county we have the Russian River, and there are voices who want to rename the river. However, by doing so don't we throw the Russian people in one pot with this evil evil man? As usual, it's complicated. I personally am just horrified about this war and I'm rather pessimistic about the outcome.

kathyinozarks said...

Happy T
Hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

This war is so sad. I could get on my soapbox and go on about it. I think if Putin has his way, there will be nothing left to the country but rubble. I hope Russia will be made to pay for the rebuilding, and held to war crimes. And I'm with Biden, Putin needs to be removed. Have a wonderful T day Mae. hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

This war is so terrible, and unthinkable. Ukrainians are in my prayers every day. Happy T Day.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Well all that is pretty interesting and I don't think it hurts a thing.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw a sign today I thought was rather appropriate. "If Russia stops fighting, there will be NO WAR. If Ukraine stops fighting, there will be no more Ukraine." I often wonder if the Russian forces reallt want this war after they have been lied to so many times about why they are in Ukraine fighting many who might even be their relatives.

There are times when I have been with others whose words have gotten too heated. In order to squelch the situation or at least tone it down, I would always try a bit of comic relief. I can see that happening in memes and late night jokes. Thanks for sharing this thought provoking diatribe and wonderful T day drink with us. I'll take a white Kyiv, please and drink it to honor Zelenskyy.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I haven't gone so far as to throw my Vodka down the drain. The War will have long lasting effects and I feel for the people who are calling themselves evacuees and not refugees. What will they have to go home to?

Iris Flavia said...

Germany also bans Russian products, sadly we´re very much dependent on the oil, I hope they find a way out.
Sad thing is, I kinda bet Putin either ignores or really has no idea of his products being re-named, all the protest in the world.
I also always wondered if the orange baby did really miss all the pranks on him or not.

It´s unbelievable what he does to the Ukrainian people - and his own.

Linda said...

I guess we all wish we could do something about it, but the tiny things we can do just pale in significance. So tragic.

Mae Travels said...

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the comments. I have two responses:

Elizabeth quoted: "If Russia stops fighting, there will be NO WAR. If Ukraine stops fighting, there will be no more Ukraine." -- I've heard it before, but it went like this: "If the Palestinians stop fighting, there will be NO WAR. If Israel stops fighting, there will be no more Israel."

In response to people who say the Russians don't care if we rename those drinks, I remind you of two things:
1) Vodka was a Russian invention, but the trademarks were sold in the early days after the Revolution 100 years ago, and most vodka here is not imported from Ruissia. Stoli, for example, is made in Latvia. Smirnoff in the U.S. is distilled in Plainfield, Illinois. SKYY vodka is produced in the U.S. by Campari America, and Absolut traces its origins to Sweden.
2) The drinks like the White Russian were invented outside Russia and never had any real connection other than having vodka in them.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am not a vodka drinker, so we do not have any in the house to throw out.
Putin is terrible, his elections are not really fair. His brutal war is not fair! I do agree some humor helps erase some of damage that has been done. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Lisca said...

Thank you for the explanation as I had never heard of Big Lebowski. I can totally imagine that anything Russian is not flavour of the month, and the word Russian leaves a bitter aftertaste whether the product is really from Russia or not. In Spain there is a type of potato salad called 'insaladilla russa' (Russian salad) and it has nothing to do with Russia, but people just don't want to say that word.
The war is awful and the suffering unbearable. We do what we can, but the man in charge over there is not going to take a blind bit of notice. His generals (those that are left) will only tell him what he wants to hear, I guess, while he is probably hiding in a bunker somewhere.... Oh I don't know.
Humor indeed is how we cope. I know that very well being a nurse. Nurses humor is well known (and not always appreciated outside the profession).
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

nwilliams6 said...

A thought-provoking post, Mae. The humor is helpful given the horrors. I definitely agree we should rename and rethink everything having to do with Russia. They are making very poor choices and flexing agressive muscle none of us should support even in the tinest of ways. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the humor. Happy T-day and hugz

Empire of the Cat said...

The Dude abides. I know this movie very well :)
It is awful all round for everyone. I have a friend in Russia and she is having a hard time with all the sanctions etc. I feel sorry for all the people who never asked for this war. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Jeanie said...

Remember the freedom fries? I have some vodka in the freezer -- it must have been there for 15 years. Does it spoil?

The war -- I can't even begin to deal with my emotions on it. And I can't tear myself away from the coverage. I'm glad there is some humor, so long as it doesn't cross the line. I'm not sure what the line is, but I'll know it when I see it.

Valerie-Jael said...

The situation in Ukraine is awful, so many people suffering there. All the best, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I get a kick out of the memes. We need a bit of fun in the darkness. Happy T Tuesday!

DVArtist said...

Humor or not I can't do any more sadness right now.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It is all so sad and there's nothing much we can do. But maybe laughter helps. The late-night comedians live on because of that feeling! The Dude meme *is* pretty funny .. I hadn't seen it. Renaming the drinks I guess gives people the feeling that they are "doing" something about a situation when we are all pretty much helpless. Really isn't going to hurt Putin at all though and not even make any difference to the ordinary Russian people probably most of whom are not behind the war at all. Because their favorite Vodka is almost certainly not imported from Russia these days anyway.

Let's Art Journal said...

It's all so heartbreaking and sad! Happy T Day 😀. Hugs Jo x

thecuecard said...

Yeah I think renaming things shows support for Ukraine. Even humor can help in impossible times.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is terrible what they are doing. I feel so awful and helpless.

CJ Kennedy said...

I think the humor of the memes and renaming things is a way to not feel helpless about the war on Ukraine. Happy T Day