Monday, March 07, 2022

Drinking Tea in Ukraine

Many news reports described Ukrainians offering tea to a Russian soldier who was captured last week.

Old Russian/Ukrainian Samovar
(source)

Last year, I wrote about the love of tea in Russia and in Ukraine, which was formerly culturally and politically part of the Russian Empire and then the Soviet empire. Tea drinking has been a part of Ukrainian-Russian culture since the seventeenth century, when Chinese merchants negotiated an agreement for importing tea for the Russian aristocracy, who also owned estates in Ukraine. In the 19th century, the Ukrainian port of Odessa, which had been founded in 1794, became the location where tea arrived in the Russian empire, making it more affordable for everyone. And of course who can help thinking about Odessa, now threatened with being bombed by the Russians.

The samovar, an important part of Russian and Ukrainian tea culture, is large water-boiler that stands on a table top. The samovar used liquid fuel, charcoal, or (later) electricity to keep hot water ready at any time without using the stove. A small teapot with very concentrated tea would sit atop the samovar. To make a cup of tea, one would take some of the strong tea from the teapot and mix it with the boiling hot water from the larger vessel. Often, a spoonful of jam or a lump of sugar would be added to the cup. A guest might also be offered cakes or fruit with the tea. The samovar became widespread during the 19th century, and continued to be used in the 20th century. Ukrainian herbal teas and infusions, made from local berries and plants, are also popular there. I have tea and samovars on my mind as part of my thinking about Ukraine and the ongoing tragedy there.

Kasimir Malovich, "Samovar," 1913, Malevich was a Kyiv-born artist
of the early 20th century, a leader of avant-garde art styles.

In my blog post about the samovar last year, I wrote that the poor Jews in Eastern Europe drank tea, but really rich people would enjoy it with many more delicacies. Tevye the dairyman, the fictitious narrator of a number of stories about a village in Ukraine by Sholem Aleichem (and later the hero of the musical "Fiddler on the Roof") described the lavish life of the rich people this way:

They carried out hot samovars with glasses of tea, sugar and preserves, delicious omelets, fresh, wonderful-smelling butter cakes, and afterward all kinds of food, the most expensive treats, rich, fatty soups, roasts, geese, along with the finest wines and tarts. I stood off to the side and marveled at the way, kayn eyn horeh, the rich folks from Yehupetz eat and drink, God bless them. I’d pawn everything I own, I was thinking, if only I could be rich. The crumbs that fell off their table would have fed my children for a week, at least till Saturday. (Tevye the Dairyman, p. 53)

Note that Yehupetz was a Yiddish term for a far-away big city, namely Kyiv. It can also mean something like the middle of nowhere. When I was a child and I heard someone mention Yehupetz, it always seemed so far away; now Kyiv and the horrors of war there seems further away than ever. And kayn eyn horeh was a Yiddish expression meant to keep away the evil eye, which seems like a good idea at the moment even if you aren't superstitious.


This blog post is to be shared with Elizabeth at the blog Altered Book Lover, where each Tuesday many bloggers share memories, photos, or other ideas about a drink, especially tea. Blog post © 2020, 2022, mae sander.

25 comments:

DVArtist said...

This is such a mixed emotional post. Beautiful, sad, loving.

Divers and Sundry said...

There's a book store here that used to keep a samovar ready. I did a bit of reading on them back then. So interesting.

Happy T Day!

R's Rue said...

Your posts always teach me something. Thank you.

kwarkito said...

Un post à la fois très pertinent et aussi émouvant. Je suis dévésté par ce qu'il se passe là-bas, et que tant de gens puissent être victime de la folie d'un petit groupe d'homme

eileeninmd said...

Interesting post, I learned something new today. I was not familiar with the samovar. Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

NatureFootstep said...

a beautiful pice of art. So sad the present situation is not that beautiul. :(

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post about the tea thank you
Happy T Kathy

Carola Bartz said...

Thank you for a very interesting post, Mae. I am so very saddened and angry and furious about the war in Ukraine. My heart breaks for the people what they have to go through, and I admire them for their resilience and how they defend their freedom. I'm afraid that Putin is so unhinged that he might use nuclear weapons.

Kate Yetter said...

I have always been intrigued by samovars and the decorative cups that they serve the tea in.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

This is fasinating Mae. I didn't know about tea drinking from a samovar, and it is really interesting how you make strong tea and only take a small amount and then mix it with hot water. Thanks for this post. It's not only perfect for T but also some more wonderful culture about Ukraine (and Russia). Have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

I can always count on learning something new from you. Thanks for your lovely post Mae. happy T day!

Sharon Madson said...

Great post, considering what is going in our world now. Perfect for T Day, too. Happy T Day.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I would never think of adding jam to my tea. This War is horrific and I cannot see The Russians being kind enough to offer anything, let alone a cup of tea to a captured soldier.

Iris Flavia said...

A bitter-sweet post.
I hope the Ukrainians can keep that tradition as free people and people of the European Union very soon.
News are running in the background and it´s... hard to hear.
What is better than a cuppa in freedom and peace.

Lisca said...

Those images really moved me. Here they also added the photos where they let this young soldier phone his mum and he was crying. Poor boy! I bless the Ukranians for their compassion. It's horrible that young conscripts were sent in the first wave. Barbaaric!
I have fond memories of the samovar as it was a postcard with a samovar on it that got me to join the T-Party for the first time all those years ago.
Happy T-Day (And happy Women's Day),
Hugs,
Lisca

nwilliams6 said...

Mae, a beautiful post - lovely thoughts and emotions and great information. I always learn so much for you.

I wish we could all just get along. Agression is so evil and wasteful and sad in every part of life.

Happy T-day and hugz.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My sincere apologies for this universal message, but my electricity has been off from about 4:25 Monday afternoon until shortly after 7:40 this morning. A transformer blew in my neighborhood. I heard the boom and felt the aftershock. It was a bitterly cold, windy night, so once my hands get warm and I get hot coffee and food in me, and I’ve had a chance to sleep (sleep was impossible in the cold), I’ll be by to visit properly. In the meantime, please accept my apology for not leaving a proper comment.

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting history of tea and the samovar. I never knew Tevye had roots in Ukrainian literature. And now I'm remembering Tevye's story from Fiddler and how he had to leave his beautiful village. Sad to know that's happening for real for the people of Ukraine. Let's hope this war ends soon and Ukrainians can go back to their homeland, pick up the pieces, rebuild, and drink tea in peace once again. 🌻Happy T Day

Let's Art Journal said...

Very poignant ❤️. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy T Day in these sad and scary times, hugs, Valerie

Jenn Jilks said...

I did not know this about tea! Such a tragedy.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was unaware of the samovar, so I found this quite interesting. It's amazing how you wove this into T Tuesday. I was also surprised about Tevye and his story from Fiddler on the Roof. Thank you so much for sharing this informative post with us for T this Tuesday.

When I heard the boom and felt the house shake, I thought I got just a tiny microscopic feeling of what the Ukrainians were experiencing, although my life wasn't in danger, and my freedom wasn't compromised.

Happy Retiree's Kitchen said...

Such an interesting post Mae. I have seen a few samovars during our travels, and now sadly I think there are many Ukrainians who are struggling to enjoy even a cup of tea.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This post is both touching and evocative. You would think that by the 21st century we would have learned that to drink tea together is better than war, but sadly, we don't learn much at all do we? It fills me with such a deep sadness to contemplate what is happening there that I can barely express it. There is also a deep irony that in a region where pogroms against the Jews are a tragic part of its history, the hero of the moment, a man of iron will and determination, a leader commanding the admiration of the world, is a Jew. The Nobel Prize committee should be taking notes.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This was so interesting. We have eaten in a restaurant in Seattle called "The Russian Samovar" (I am not sure that it is still there, but we have fond memories of it.)