Friday, November 26, 2021

Washington: the Hirshhorn Museum

 

LAURIE ANDERSON: THE WEATHER


We loved the special exhibit by multi-media artist Laurie Anderson.
It is very hard to describe, but my favorite was a huge room with walls and floor all
painted with black and white images, quotations, and observations.





... and cake.


It's been a long time since I was able to visit a museum with a fascinating contemporary art exhibit. I've been so quarantined! So this was a wonderful treat, going with Len and Evelyn for just a few hours and no pressure. The Capitol Mall was crowded but fortunately not many people were in the Hirshhorn this morning.

We also viewed an exhibit of works by one of my favorite early 20th century
artists, Marcel Duchamp. These are two portraits of the artist.

The Hirshhorn Museum is in a very interesting building, which is now under
construction and thus covered with huge draperies.

Blog post © 2021 mae sander.

11 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Some interesting quotes that you shared.

Iris Flavia said...

It reflects many people´s thoughts these days.
Scary. Too much. No happy end in sight.
Politics play with us. Instead of helping. Protecting - wasn´t that their job once?

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

The huge room with black walls is incredible. I envy you. I have not yet been brave enough to venture into a museum.

Bill said...

Looks like a wonderful exhibition to see. I love seeing all the quotes and would spend time reading them. Thanks for sharing.

Elza Reads said...

Oh wow! I love that contemporary exhibit. It sure does touch nerve. Stunning!

Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Have a good week ahead and stay safe!

Elza Reads

Girl Who Reads said...

It's nice to be able to start venturing out. I'm glad you got to visit a favorite place.

Iliana said...

I miss so much - travels, museums not to mention family and friends. This pandemic is exhausting. So glad you were able to visit this museum. The artwork is stunning.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Sadly we have no large museums or art galleries anywhere near us. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Wishing you a great week

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Oooo I like that black and white art, too. Reminds me of an art project we did in an art class but for the life of me I can't remember the exact technique. Somehow we just mindlessly doodled around, not really drawing anything and then you filled it in somehow and it became different stuff. Ugh, I can't even explain it. Wish I taken notes. It was so long ago. Don't know what the technique was called or anything. But yah, I would love to see that art exhibit. lol

Jeanie said...

This looks like a fabulous museum.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a wonderful opportunity!