Monday, November 01, 2021

"Dune"


Here's the really unusual thing about the new movie "Dune" -- when the Hero Paul goes on his Quest, his mother goes with him. This is an exceptional plot element in an otherwise not very exceptional film. Who takes his mom on a heroic quest? Most heroes in fact are orphans (like Luke Skywalker, Siegfried, King Arthur...)

If any of the characters in "Dune" ever smiled, I missed that moment. The hero of Dune is Paul Atreides (played by Timothée Chalamet). Paul is either brooding or resentful. In the very first scene, he's both, as his mother, Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson) wakes him up, gives him breakfast, and tells him what to wear to meet a visitor to the court of his father, Duke Leto Atreides (Oscar Isaac). At breakfast she also makes him play some sort of hypnotic mind game to force her to give him a glass of water. 

Paul Atreides is clearly being trained in military and mystic arts to lead whatever it is that his father is leading, and to be a successor to whatever witch-like tradition his mother belongs to. There's a lot of language that recalls Arab or East Asian mystic traditions (you can see it as Orientalism if you like). Also a bit of martial arts stuff, and a Dr. Yueh, who speaks Chinese. All this might make Paul a potential Messiah. Since his mother is with him throughout his quest, there is not much chance for romantic encounters, though he does seem sort of attracted to a woman, Chani (Zendaya). 

Visually, the movie offers lots of overpowering palaces and desert wildernesses, as well as space travel and a variety of ethnic groups with their own costumes, etc. These and the special effects seemed to me to me somewhat similar to those of other fantasy and sci-fi films I've seen. There are big space ships with imposing off-ramps on which visiting dignitaries can flaunt themselves. Big worms with icky, hairy mouths. Big sand dunes and sort-of quicksand traps. Big palace doors. Sort-of-Asian and Arab and military costumes in a movie-tradition kind of way. That kind of thing.

As you can tell, I didn't like the movie very much. Paul Krugman, the Nobel-Prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist disagrees. In an op-ed titled "'Dune' is the Movie We Always Wanted," Krugman took all the elements that bothered me very seriously. (So I must be wrong). He wrote: 
"There’s a glittering, hierarchical society wracked by intrigue and warfare, a young hero of noble birth who may be a prophesied messiah, a sinister but alluring sisterhood of witches, fierce desert warriors and, of course, giant worms. ... What makes 'Dune' more than an ordinary space opera are two things: its subtlety and the richness of its world-building.... And the world Herbert created is given depth by layers of cultural references. He borrowed from Islamic and Ayurvedic traditions, from European feudalism and more — 'Dune' represents cultural appropriation on a, well, interstellar scale. It’s also deeply steeped in fairly serious ecological thinking." (source)
No smiles.

 

Blog post © 2021 mae sander. Movie posters from the movie. 

19 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

interesting review of this movie. I didn't care for the last version of Dune so probably wouldn't search this one out. Happy T wishes

My name is Erika. said...

I've been wondering about this film. I heard it was hard to follow if you hadn't read the book, but I also heard you could follow it. I know the last version of this book wasn't very good too. Hmm. I still want to check it out on HBO because at least I can flip to another channel if I don't like it. Have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

This movie looked very interesting from the previews. Too bad you didn't like it. You never know until you see it. The previews seem to contain the best parts.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Carola Bartz said...

I heard about this movie just by chance - I usually tend to ignore anything about science fiction (except for "Dark", but I don't know whether that counts as science fiction). I did watch a couple science fiction movies mainly because my husband was watching them. I think I paid more attention to my knitting at hand than to the movies.

However, I don't think you were wrong in your opinion just because you don't share Paul Krugman's!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've not seen the previews to this, nor have I ever read or seen the original Dune. I swear there are days I believe I live under a rock. Thanks for the review. I could definitely tell the movie was quite lackluster to you and it sounds like an expensive movie with costumes and tales that have been seen and told before. Thanks for sharing this review with us for T this almost Tuesday, Mae.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

We shall avoid this one!

Iris Flavia said...

I haven´t seen the movie but 1999 In Outback Australia we drove by a sign saying they have filming for "Dune" there - there was nothing to see there, either we were too early or too late.
Wonder it was about an old version of this one.

nwilliams6 said...

I liked and disliked the first movie so I will probably feel the same about this one. Much of the movie didn't make a lot of sense to me - made me think that if I had a few drinks I might understand it better or that it would make absolutely no sense at all. Thanks for the review though - your thoughts are a always interesting, Mae. Happy T-day!

Spyder said...

Happy T for Tuesday...I'll commentfilm at saome time...hubby said 'wait til it comes out on Netflix... they've showed all the best bits in the video advertising it!' But I do love a good 'magical' film ((Lyn))

Lisca said...

I remember I read the books (was it a trilogy?) and I did like them. I have recently bought them for my husband as he likes sci-fi, but he hasn't read them yet. I'm sure he would love the movie. The special effect, the story etc. But there is not much chance of us seeing the film any time soon (as we don't have tv). Perhaps when it comes out on DVD, we'll get it.
The actor Timothee (strange that his name is spelled with two E's like a girls' name) is very popular at the moment. He is filming a film called Wonka in Bath (UK). We used to live near there and all our friends are sending us pictures of the filming in the town and of the actors having a coffee or something.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

I see every Dune adaptation that comes along. I'm looking forward to part 2 of this one. I loved the book!

Happy T Tuesday!

Empire of the Cat said...

I loved the Dune books, there were at least 9 of them that I read, three sets of triologies. I have to say I was quite a fan, then the author died and someone else had to finish the series. I have seen the 1980s movie version with Sting, and then also the TV mini series that was quite good actually. I will have to wait to see this version as I don't go to the cinema. I think it makes sense in the books why his mother goes along, as she is quite special. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Linda Kunsman said...

Hadn't heard of this- book or movie series. Just not my thing. Too bad the movie was disappointing- especially with the cost of them anymore.... Happy T day!

thecuecard said...

I enjoyed the movie on Opening Night. Maybe the pacing could've been a bit better but the sets were good etc. I don't see or read much sci-fi at all ... so perhaps I'm new to it but it was cool to me. I had read Dune long ago ... and knew Paul would have to learn a lot quickly ... from a boy to following in his dad's footsteps. I will be there for Part 2 ... even if it's just good guys vs. bad guys ... on a desert planet.

DVArtist said...

One of Mr. M's favorite movies is the original Dune. Like most remakes they are just never better or even equal to the original. We have seen the previews of this new Dune and will pass on it.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Dune doesn't sound like my kind of film but I expect hubby will want to watch it. Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

Great review! I probably will never see it. Happy T Day.

CJ Kennedy said...

Decades ago while I was in college, a friend tried to interest me in the books. I just couldn't get into the story. Happy T Day

Kitchen Riffs said...

I suspect my reaction of this movie would be similar to yours -- not my cup of tea. Mainly because I largely don't like sci-fi stuff (I do like Star Wars but that's not really science fiction IMO). No plans to see it. Anyway, good review -- thanks.