Friday, November 12, 2021

A Great Artist in the Google Doodle

The Google Doodle today.

Today's Google Doodle celebrates one of my favorite painters; Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675). Pretty funny how they altered the paintings by adding the "G" "O" "O"... etc. Also, the choice of paintings is interesting, as some of Vermeer's other works are more famous, like "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" and "The Milkmaid."

Here are the real paintings, without the Google letters, which I'm very fond of.

The Art of Painting (1666)

Woman Writing a Letter With Her Maid (1670-71)

Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window (1659)

I'm a fan of both Vermeer and Google Doodles!

7 comments:

DVArtist said...

Pretty amazing.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am also a big fan of Vermeer, but have never heard of Google Doodles until now. Really clever take on his works.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I only recognise The Girl With A Pearl Earring as being his so thank you for introducing more of his paintings to me. I also love the doodles but seldom click on them.

Iris Flavia said...

Great art.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

I squealed when I saw that Vermeer was the Google doodle. I usually don't recognize what the doodle is celebrating and have to click on it to find out. I read a lot about Vermeer when I was in graduate school and recognized all of those paintings.

Jeanie said...

I adore Vermeer. Have you been to Delft. The Vermeer Museum doesn't have any of his originals (have to go to the Rijksmuseum for those!) but it's a fascinating place to learn all about him. My parents used to have a beautiful framed print of the woman reading the letter in the window. I wish we still had it.