Friday, April 02, 2021

Wildlife

A Brutal Fight Between Two Geese


We first saw these two geese beside the water honking and struggling, their heads locked together.
They struggled into the water...

And continued fighting for around 15 minutes.


After a huge struggle in the water, they moved through the woods, continuing the fight. Finally, one of them showed signs of giving up and hid his head under a log, but the stronger goose kept viciously pecking at the weaker one's neck. We thought he had died, but after the winner left, the loser seemed to be reviving. We have no idea if his injuries were fatal, and we left him standing beside the log. 

Beautiful Ducks and a Heron

BurkeLake-2


FROGS





Walking in the Woods


Alice, Evelyn, and Len.

These photos were taken at several parks in the Fairfax area, which we've gone to over the last several days when the weather was clear and sometimes warm. The temperatures have been variable, with occasional rainstorms and with temperatures from below 40º to over 80ºF. 

Blog post and all photos © 2021 mae sander.

13 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

A hard life, hard, too, to not interfere...

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, I never knew geese fought like that. I hope the loser was able to recover.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ii thought only humans could be this cruel. Nature shows the survival of the fittest.

Jeanie said...

Gorgeous heron. I've seen geese be scrappy before but never like that. I think they often get ticked off if another male comes too close to their woman but I've never seen a battle go on so aggressively. Looks like a wonderful day!

Polly said...

ooooh that poor goose, I wonder what triggered it, but that is life in the wild. Your photos are excellent, particularly the close ups of the frogs.

Carola Bartz said...

Nature can be very cruel - I guess they were fighting over a female? Geese can be very vicious.
Beautiful photos of wildlife - I love the frog!

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I hope that poor goose is ok.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I wonder if they were fighting over a female?

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Wow, that goose is a mean one! I hope the goose that was attacked is ok.
Love the Heron with the beautiful Wood Ducks. The female merganser has a cool hairdo.
The frogs are so cute, great collection of photos. Looks like a great day for a walk.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Beautiful photos of heron and frog. I hope the goose can one day give it back and take the female :)

Breathtaking said...

Hello,:=) Nasty scene of the Geese, I hope the attacked goose is not too badly injured. Lovely capture of the Wood Duck and the Heron, and all the frog images. Have a Happy Easter.

Rain said...

I really love those photos of the frogs!! :)

Linda said...

It's breeding season for geese. They are competitive.