Friday, June 20, 2008

Kitchens

This old kitchen stove clock and timer illustrates an L.A.Times article on a small, efficient, useful kitchen. Food writer Martha Rose Shulman and others give a number of reasons why useful kitchens don't have to follow the fad for no-holds-barred expensive appliances. Of course, Consumer Reports has repeatedly tested high-end appliances like Viking, and found that the less expensive counterparts from old-line manufacturers are often more reliable and serviceable. When remodeling and later upgrading my kitchen, I made decisions like this, though maybe I overdid the low-endness of my range.

My favorite quote:
"Whether people are actually cooking more remains unclear, but the primacy of the kitchen as a public shrine seems, for the moment, secure. 'I call them Lean Cuisine kitchens,' Haas says, referring to her suspicion that warming a frozen dinner might be the height of culinary expertise expended by some owners of $5,000 ranges -- not counting occasions when the equipment is turned over to caterers."

2 comments:

Jen said...

The quote on the lean cuisine kitchens is part of our rampant consumerism - yay for you for choosing lower end. We redid our 1966 kitchen last year - I did choose a couple of higher end (but NOT high end) appliances for things I really, really wanted in terms of cooking experiences. I use them every day and I'm glad I made those choices, but I think cooking (as cliche as this sounds) is really measured by the love and care you put into it.

Mae Travels said...

If the Viking stove is only a status symbol (and maybe a plant stand) then I guess it's not important that Frigidaire makes a better stove for half the price. As you say -- consumerism!