Wednesday, May 31, 2023

In Our Kitchen in May

The kitchen used to be "my" kitchen, but in the last few months, Len has taken over all the innovative cooking, so it's now our kitchen, not just mine. This is a wonderful change and I'm delighted with his commitment to using new recipes, especially recipes from a number of Asian cuisines. I've mentioned the cookbook authors Fuchsia Dunlop and Andrea Nguyen, whose books he has been going through, and I've mentioned the number of interesting condiments we have obtained for the variety of recipes he has tried.

I’m sharing this with Sherry and the other participants in the blog event titled In My Kitchen. It’s great to see what new gadgets, condiments, packaged food, cookbooks, and recipes everyone has tried each month. Other than trying new recipes, there's nothing new in our kitchen, as we haven't bought any new gadgets or cookbooks. Next month may be different!

Asian Recipes: All New to Us

Szechuan Smoked Tofu, among the many recipes Len tried.
He made the smoked tofu using liquid smoke. 


Grilled salmon with crispy skin, flavored with lemongrass.



Mushroom curry from the special mushrooms at Argus Farm Stop.

Spring rolls in rice paper wrappers and stir-fry snow peas.


Black Pepper Tofu with eggs and a side of bok-choi, recipes by Andrea Nguyen.

Cooking!


A few other meals

Roast cauliflower with parmesan and a big salad for a vegetarian dinner.
Cauliflower recipe from the New York Times.


Israeli Mezze: grape leaves, eggplant salad, olives, spiced chickpeas, and other vegetables and fruits.


Another dish made from the special mushrooms at Argus: a mushroom stir-fry.



Len baked some rye rolls for a Memorial Day Picnic. 
He’s been baking bread for several years, and this is a recipe from a Zingerman’s class he took.

Can Our Food Choices Make A Difference?

Much of the world is experiencing a huge drought, while a few regions have too much rain or very unpredictable rain. Food production suffers globally as a result of the changes. These food shortages affect our prices in the supermarket, but for people in the third world, a result is frequently famine and desperation, with many refugee situations caused by the impact of food scarcity. The consequences are many and of great concern, as I’m sure you know.

One undisputed cause of climate change is human-created Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. While there’s little an individual can do about climate change, at least I think we can be mindful of choices we make, and one choice we make all the time is our selection of food. Here’s a graph of how various food choices impact the atmosphere. How much difference can an individual’s actions make? I don’t know, but I think we can contemplate what our little bit might mean.


Click on the graph to see it full size in your browser.

NOTE: Even if you compare the carbon production per calorie of nutrition in these foods, beef and lamb are still much more polluting than vegetables or grains.

For more discussion of global food issues, see In My Kitchen Part 2.

Blog post and photos © 2023 mae sander

12 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't that wonderful, having a new cook about.
I had a hospice client who had 11 children. She complained about spending so much time watching food cook, back in the day. We giggled.
My hubby isn't allowed to cook, he tends to overcook things, and is great at doing dishes!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Great photo of your Len cooking. The meals all look delicious!
Mushroom stew sounds yummy. Take care, enjoy your day!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Amazing food.

Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid said...

Oh wow - everything looks so delicious! Len has been very busy. I would be thrilled if my husband discovered a love of cooking! That greenhouse gas chart was quite enlightening - I think you're right, collectively if we make small changes, they can make a big difference.

Sherry's Pickings said...

that is so interesting Mae about the greenhouse gas emissions. We eat very little meat, just a bit of beef mince and chicken very occasionally. So I feel we are doing our bit! My hubby has always done lots of cooking so I've never understood that many women do it all. Eek! THanks for joining in IMK this month. I've deleted the spammers on the link! Soooo annoying - that wedding one just keeps on!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

All your meals look very delicious :)
Thank you for sharing this graph. It would be interesting to know how much water is used for all of the items listed. Have a super June!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

When I look at the chart above I am very happy that we have stopped eating beef entirely, and red meat mostly. People really need to start paying attention to what they eat- for more reasons than one.

Lori said...

All of your food looks stunning. I'm not a big fan of tofu but I have to say your smoked tofu looks delicious. We've been enjoying our share of snow peas here too and I bet yours stir fried were tasty. I'll have to try that.

Iris Flavia said...

Here it´s the other way round. I only started cooking/baking after I lost my job, and now it´s not Ingo´s but our kitchen.
Yummy food, you make me hungry! And I love the lemon-apron!
The Enchilada Casserole... ohhhh. Damn. I was in the city and forgot we have the new Mexican restaurant! Need to put a note on the door!!!
We hardly eat meat.
But I see the fast food restaurants always full when passing by.
And... we are the second largest city in Lower Saxony. In the heart of the city I know of one vegan restaurant and one that has one veggie-meal per day.
"Super". Bet there are others in the suburbs (I hope).
To home-cooking! It is FUN, sad I only realized that so late in life. Better late then never, right?

Valerie-Jael said...

I wish someone would cook here! We went out for a meal today and I had a delicious curry!

Marg said...

My husband does a lot of the cooking here.

Everything you have shared looks so delicious!

Miss you at Weekend Cooking!

Unknown said...

so many yummy vegetarian things in your kitchen this month! I'm intrigued by the variety of cuisines it spanned, very impressive. I've heard of liquid smoke but never tried it, I saw once on a TV show that you can set a stick of cinnamon alight and stick that in your food, never forgot it but never tried it either!

Nancy @ http://ayearindarwin.blogspot.com