Wednesday, May 17, 2023

No-Mow May: Gardens in my neighorhood

 

A neighbor’s yard explaining the city policy on letting one’s grass grow.

WARNING: If you don’t like to watch grass grow, you probably won’t like reading this blog post!


A no-grass garden up the street from us. Probably very good for pollinators!



Around one house in four has a no-mow lawn this May — many just have a garden without grass at all.




Definitely not in step with the neighbors!

The Mayor’s house: the tree lawn is growing out, but the yard seems to be mowed.







Our own grass is growing slowly — but not mowed.
Unfortunately an irresponsible pesticide-spraying service called Mosquito Squad
came and sprayed poison on our yard claiming to be at “the wrong address.” We are furious.
Blog post and photos © 2023 mae sander

8 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Love this project!!!!
Sadly here the "garden" gets mowed weekly...

Jenn Jilks said...

I'll bet you are furious. That is sad. I love the longer grass. We have wild weeds that spring up!

ashok said...

I always wish to have a house with a lawn...unfortunately now iam living in a high rise apartment 😞

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It breaks my heart to see the natural world devastation that comes when mowers come through. I'm happy your town is trying something lovely this year, but I'm sorry to hear about the pesticide-spraying service's mistake. Eek.

Here's an article about a recent mowing controversy near me in Galveston: https://www.galvnews.com/news/floral-frustration-blooms-as-marshal-orders-mowing/article_b68d6c86-e717-51a8-9477-15753a22c6dd.html

Jeanie said...

I love your neighborhood. We aren't doing no-mow May but my yard sure looks like it. I think the neighbors might be saying bad things behind my back! Rick will be back in another week. I could call someone to do it (I can't push the mower with my leg/hip) but right now I'm promoting pollination (if anyone asks!)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wichita has a definite height limit and you are fined if the grass is too tall. I would SUE the Mosquito Squad, but it wouldn't do any good and just cost time and money. I think calling your BBB might help.

My name is Erika. said...

I love having some of my ground plants grow into the grass. Not only are they good for pollinators, but they add some pretty flowers to the lawn. Hope your week is going well.hugs-Erika

Yvonne said...

I think your part of the country is more inclined to accept 'no mow' front yards than where I live. I've had to leave a strip of lawn by the street, and groom a few feet into the front of the polliniator garden to keep from having complaints. Bottlebrush grass moves around from year to year, as it loves my garden and I love it, but we cut it away from the sides of the pathways to prevent a tick from hitchhiking onto one of us for a free meal. That second photo reminds one of the countryside. I like that.